Vehicle tint laws for civilians vs government vehicles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I wish they would enforce it. I get tired of vehicle pulling up next to me and looks like the windows are painted black. Can't see if they are looking at you in traffic to see if they are turning or even pointing a gun at you. There's no need for it. I have a good friend that is a Trooper and when he worked at a very small dept before going LSP he said the town unit windows were so dark he couldn't see at night. He rolled down the windows.
    LOL a little paranoid are we?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you’re eligible to get an exemption, get it. I got mine and it only took three weeks to get it back. It was the same amount of time it took get my CHP.
    Is it a separate sticker or just a form that you carry in the car?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So, for the record, is it about people driving cars that they can’t see out of (reportedly) or is it about people driving cars that law enforcement and others can’t see into? I’m thinking it’s more the latter.
    The law doesn't specify, but could it be for both?

Not everyone has the same quality of vision. The law has to be written in a way that is as generic as possible to cover the majority of people. Not everyone can see out of a vehicle safely with 20% tint. It's logical to assume that as more light is allowed in (more visibility), more people will be able to see out.

There are also benefits to being able to see other drivers when driving - such as when changing lanes, maneuvering at stop signs, and etc. It's not just about LE seeing inside of a car.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La

Not everyone has the same quality of vision. The law has to be written in a way that is as generic as possible to cover the majority of people. Not everyone can see out of a vehicle safely with 20% tint. It's logical to assume that as more light is allowed in (more visibility), more people will be able to see out.

There are also benefits to being able to see other drivers when driving - such as when changing lanes, maneuvering at stop signs, and etc. It's not just about LE seeing inside of a car.
    If someone has vision problems, maybe they shouldn't be negligent by using tint they can't see out of. If someone maybe takes some medication that affects their vision, maybe they shouldn't drive because, if they did and they hurt someone, that would be considered negligent. Neither of these has anything to do with me since I can see just fine out of my 20% tint. Same same.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    As far as seeing other drivers, this can cause accidents just as well as it can help prevent them. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what happens inside someone else's vehicle, it's what that vehicle does as a whole. I pay attention to vehicles, not who is in them.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

Another thing not mentioned by a lot of people, is the quality of the tint. It's measured in light transmittance, but not optical clarity. I've had enough experience in cars, that I've driven in cars with cheap 30% tint on the windshield and expensive 20% tint and I could see much easier with the 20% tint. Also same with the side windows, these guys claiming 5% tint or "limo" are using cheap tint which have horrible optical clarity. But when you go with a high end Xpel ceramic pro, Madico Wincos, huper optik ceramic etc, It's vastly different looking out through those at night than other cheaper films.

I had 30% wincos on my old escalade, and it made night time driving easier than my current one.

My sister had a medical exemption which required having one of the few disease states they have exemptions for. She had to have notarized paperwork from her doctor that supported her need for the tint with the diagnosis and had to bring it to the state police to process. The "optometrist" note no longer works

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Another thing not mentioned by a lot of people, is the quality of the tint. It's measured in light transmittance, but not optical clarity. I've had enough experience in cars, that I've driven in cars with cheap 30% tint on the windshield and expensive 20% tint and I could see much easier with the 20% tint. Also same with the side windows, these guys claiming 5% tint or "limo" are using cheap tint which have horrible optical clarity. But when you go with a high end Xpel ceramic pro, Madico Wincos, huper optik ceramic etc, It's vastly different looking out through those at night than other cheaper films.

I had 30% wincos on my old escalade, and it made night time driving easier than my current one.

My sister had a medical exemption which required having one of the few disease states they have exemptions for. She had to have notarized paperwork from her doctor that supported her need for the tint with the diagnosis and had to bring it to the state police to process. The "optometrist" note no longer works

No sticker, just the original signed form that has a raised seal on it.
    What about the orange sticker that said Tint Exemption that went on the windshield? Did they stop using them?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    What about the orange sticker that said Tint Exemption that went on the windshield? Did they stop using them?
    My sister had the exemption back in ~2008 and didn't have the orange sticker, My friend has an orange sticker but I do not know who issued it to him.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

I have the darkest legal tint in my car and my truck. My prescription shades are darker. The darkest front window tint allowed by law is hardly noticeable. A shade darker than legal is quite easy for me to see through at night. Just as I have no difficulty seeing out of my rear passenger windows at night. I believe the law has more to do with being able to see into vehicles. In fact, I’d venture to say that it’s the basis for 99% of the true opposition to anything darker.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This is the sticker I was talking about
    Tint sticker.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have the darkest legal tint in my car and my truck. My prescription shades are darker. The darkest front window tint allowed by law is hardly noticeable. A shade darker than legal is quite easy for me to see through at night. Just as I have no difficulty seeing out of my rear passenger windows at night. I believe the law has more to do with being able to see into vehicles. In fact, I’d venture to say that it’s the basis for 99% of the true opposition to anything darker.
    A line had to be drawn somewhere. I don't disagree that the limit in Louisiana is too low. My sole argument is that the law is there for a reason - to protect the safety of the general public.

I have the same feelings regarding speed limits. I am young, have great vision, excellent reaction time, and a very fast car. I have taken multiple classes with professional drivers on both open and closed roads with the intent of getting better at driving at high speeds. I could safely navigate most roads at a speed ~40% higher than the posted limit. But speed limit laws aren't written for me. Or probably for many of you. They're written for the masses, which include people in giant trucks with shitty brakes, old women with terrible vision, and the average American driver who will get into three to four accidents in their lifetime.

It sucks that laws have to be written that are generalized or "sandbagged" for the general public, but "that just how it be."

Top Bottom