Vortex SPARC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Well I just got a Vortex SPARC in the mail. I figured I would show some pics and write up a review.

First my goal for this AR-15 was to put together a light and relatively inexpensive setup. Sometimes the prices of optics blow me away especially red dots. I know you get what you pay for but there is a fine balance between cost and function and I honestly want to see if an Aimpoint micro T1 is worth three Vortex SPARCs. So I am going to rag the hell out of it and I will report back to you later. I have used some nice optics in the past and I have a nice piece of glass on my competition AR-15 but I wanted something economical for my SHTF rifle. I am by no means a gun snob and I just want something that I can knock around and it will stay sighted in and still work. Some people on here are not really limited with their gun budgets. I am not one of those people. I am also not going to write off a product based on the fact that it is less expensive than another. I am not one of those guys that looks at the price of two objects and picks the more expensive one because "it must be better." I am by no means saying that is the case hear but I figured you should understand my mindset.

I found a torture test online and so I decided to check it out. I can say from first hand experience I was disappointed with the Vortex Strikefire. I got one of the early models that came out and it had stopped working within a couple of range visits. I read about some of the early models having issues with electrical connects so I chalked it up to them being in new to the red dot game. Some people swear by their Strikefires for me it was a :thumbsdown: However I do believe in outliers and a N-Value of one is worthless. Soooo

I can say from personal experience that Vortex Optics Customer service is top notch and within two days I had a prepaid slip waiting for me to return my Strikefire and 5 days later I had a brand new SPARC and a camo Vortex hat which on any man would look good but on me looks exceptional. So I accepted their peace offering and decided to give it another go with the SPARC.

The most appealing thing to me about Vortex is their warranty.I love lifetime warranties. I literally have socks with lifetime warranties. I expect something that I dish out money for to work and if not to be reimbursed for it.

So after opening the package and putting the optic on the rifle the weirdest thing to me so far is the mounting system. It has multiple risers and shims all of which seem solid but add weight and look kinda stupid. I am by no means a "what looks good guy" so I really don't care about that but I am interested to see how the Higher Riser handles being pulled in and out of my backpack and some abuse. I am hoping the things stay solid and still sighted in. I might transition to a LaRue mount since I am so happy with the one on my competition rifle. From what I've read because of the differences in dimensions between the vortex and aimpoint I would have to get the HK version to have it absolute co-witness with the sights. I am still considering the 1/3 co-witness and I will probably give it a whirl as well.

The optic looks and feels solid it comes with a rubber lens cover that is nice. The button function is as follows: press power for on and hold power for off. It has a 2Moa dot as well as NV modes and the ability to adjust the dot brightness.

Some Pics:

CIMG2307.JPG

CIMG2308.JPG

CIMG2309.JPG

SirIsaacNewton

Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Haven't even run it yet. Had it setup on an AK-47 with an ultimak rail and ended up trading that for another glock. So it is sitting brand new in a box in my closet. The budget AR-15 is running only iron sights. I will sell you mine if you want it just let me know.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom