WANTED: Real world feedback G44 vs SR22 vs TX22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    The drawback to the Glock 44 in my mind is that the mags only hold 10rds. I bought a Keltec P17 instead since it comes with 3 mags and each mag holds 16rds each and the Keltec P17 is a heck of a lot more cheaper than the Glock 44. Dont get me wrong, I am not knocking Glock as I own a G19 and it is my favorite carry handgun.

iomg8

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 12, 2020
    lafayette, la
    I haven't used the G44 but I shot my brothers TX22 and I have a RUger MarkIV. I like the way my Ruger feels, but I hate it only has 10 rounds. I think the Ruger is more accurate, but the TX22 is more fun cause it holds more ammo. And it isn't like you are shooting that much different from it. Just think the Ruger has a tighter grouping.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    bush_hog don't you already have a TX22?

I have 7200 rounds through the TX22 over the last 18 months, and I haven't been gentle with it.

PHENOMENAL.

16rd mags and a threaded barrel out of the box, great ergonomics and a trigger that's way better than it has any business being, particularly considering the <300 price tag. It wasn't Guns & Ammo's 2019 handgun of the year by accident. I agree with tinfoilhat that the factory sights are crap but that's easy enough to fix... I've currently got a Romeo1 on there with a dovetail plate and just took the front sight off altogether. It shoots everything except: CCI quiet (too low velocity to cycle) and WWB (flat nose bullet shape seems to cause issues).

My only real knock on it is the weight is pretty vain -- it's light.

If you're into optics, I'd recommend getting the newer "competition" (LOL!) version. I fondled one recently and although it's kinda stupid looking it feels great. The lower is identical but the upper has a bull barrel and much nicer heft to it.

Last edited:

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Background: USMC Veteran, La ConcealedHandgun Instructer and I own 15 Glocks. I must just be lucky, because my G44 has literally seen a couple thousand rounds with very minimal failures to feed. Being the same size gun as the G19, it’s a very affordable training option for myself, and my wife with ammo being the way it is right now.

Thank You Marine!! For Your Service!!

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I bought a G 44 because I carry a G19. First time to the range I went through 120 rounds of CCI Mini Mag hollow points without one malfunction. For me that is a record for my 22 semi autos when new out the box. I blacked out the white outline on the rear sight and painted the white dot on the front read to match the Ameriglo sights on my G19. A slight windage adjustment and it was good to go, hits on a 10" plate at 25 yards. Other than slightly less sound and recoil its hard to tell the difference between it and the G19.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I thought I wanted a G44 but I've heard too many people say that they had issues . I see that several of you have one and are happy with it . That's awesome . I also wanted a double action .22 revolver and a member here hooked me up . I'm good for now .

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    Just an update. I recently shot a GSSF style 22lr match and my TX22 tumbled every 22lr ammo I fed it. Not a single feed issue, but every impact was a keyhole. Sent it back to Taurus and will let you all know what they say was wrong once I get it back

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Just an update. I recently shot a GSSF style 22lr match and my TX22 tumbled every 22lr ammo I fed it. Not a single feed issue, but every impact was a keyhole. Sent it back to Taurus and will let you all know what they say was wrong once I get it back
    The TX22 had a rash of "bad" barrels: Keyhole Shots, Off Center Rifling, Lead fowling, and so forth.

What was the outcome with yours?

andmess14

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2016
    Houma, LA
    I'm not interested in what sponsored YouTube cowboys have to say about the free pistol they're doing a review on. I care more about what people who spend their own cash on a 22lr trainer and then use it purposefully on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance for constructive feedback.
    I am overall pleased with my tx22. However, mine only likes standard velocity ammo.

BladeZealot

Gotta love a Coonan!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Brandon MS
    I have 2 glock 44's and love them. I got my first shortly after release and have had minimal feed issues with them. I purchased and tested quite a few more as I intended them as gifts. I gave one to each of my 4 Sons last Christmas a year ago. No issues. I have a bud that has 2 also. He runs one suppressed. Shot it 2k+ rounds before cleaning it. I have 3k+ through mine, although i have cleaned it a few times. I got a TX 22 to compare...still have the 44's lol.

burien

Burien
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Any updates? I had a buddy buy one and new out of the box it keyholes all Winchester 555 ammo however federal and Remington are fine.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    My TX22 ran so well, I bought another and wound up giving it to my BIL right after Ida. I wanted another 22, so got a Beretta M9-22. Both of these are stellar.

No issues and I feed them some serious crappy ammo, then good CCI, then back to crap from the 70’s. They both eat up ammo older than some members on here.

I bought a Heritage Arms 22 just for the cowboy fun factor. For $119, and $29 for a finely tooled leather holster, it’s a cheap range toy. Also added the Buffalo Indian head nickel 22 mag cylinder to this.

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    The TX22 had a rash of "bad" barrels: Keyhole Shots, Off Center Rifling, Lead fowling, and so forth.

What was the outcome with yours?
    I had one that key holed no matter what ammo and I sent it back and they returned it with all new parts I'm about 2 weeks. Shoots great now. I also have a G44 now too.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    For the TX22 owners. Is it possible to add a lightweight red dot sight to it without and machine work??

I'm in the market for a good 22 pinker and was thinking about the P17 and its easy to add a red dot to it, but I think after reading all the reviews on the TX22 I'm leaning towards it. Thoughts??

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Background: USMC Veteran, La ConcealedHandgun Instructer and I own 15 Glocks. I must just be lucky, because my G44 has literally seen a couple thousand rounds with very minimal failures to feed. Being the same size gun as the G19, it’s a very affordable training option for myself, and my wife with ammo being the way it is right now.
    I completely agree! I got a G44 on a trade with a G19 and I love my G44 because it’s just fun! I haven’t had 1 failure. I guess I’m lucky too. I’m sorry but Taurus is just a budget gun company. When someone says hey I need a cheap gun to just shoot around you think of Taurus or Ruger. Yes I’m a Glock fanboy, but it’s only because it works and it is familiar to train with. Now the three guns mentioned do have competition with say the 22/45 Lite,but that’s in a different category. I gotta turn the volume down because there are people complaining right now. This guy doesn’t know anything… Back in Nam I was sniping gooks with my TX22…. I can just here them now…. Roflol

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Pretty cool you can also get +5 bumpers from Tandemkross to make your 16 round mags 21 round mags. I have 10 mags for the TX22 6 of which I have added the +5 bumpers. You can’t beat 21+1 in a full size striker fired polymer .22lr pistol that eats anything you feed it.
    Tandemkross is a great company in general for anything .22lr related. They make a lot of nice upgrades and accessories for most .22lr guns
    +1 on the wingman mag bumpers. No issue with them to date. Twin pack was 20 bucks

Attachments

• 63643703-FBB6-4B5E-8FA1-D8917F4028E3.png
      63643703-FBB6-4B5E-8FA1-D8917F4028E3.png
      3 MB · Views: 93

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I completely agree! I got a G44 on a trade with a G19 and I love my G44 because it’s just fun! I haven’t had 1 failure. I guess I’m lucky too. I’m sorry but Taurus is just a budget gun company. When someone says hey I need a cheap gun to just shoot around you think of Taurus or Ruger. Yes I’m a Glock fanboy, but it’s only because it works and it is familiar to train with. Now the three guns mentioned do have competition with say the 22/45 Lite,but that’s in a different category. I gotta turn the volume down because there are people complaining right now. This guy doesn’t know anything… Back in Nam I was snipping gooks with my TX22…. I can just here them now…. Roflol
    Snipping what? Sniping? Who? What???

Top Bottom