What If...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Right it’s all about load distribution!!! I can run my whole house including my 4ton central ac

kinda hard to fight a 20mph current going up river to make it back home lol

Guess you don’t have to worry about sucking in water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    As I get older, and my health declines, I have to think about my wife. She can't run a generator, change the oil, crank it up.

I'm seriously considering a Tesla Wall, or server rack of Lithium batteries, with a solar panel grid in my shop. (Metal Roof).

I would not install them on my shingled roof, having worked in the industry.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    As I get older, and my health declines, I have to think about my wife. She can't run a generator, change the oil, crank it up.

I'm seriously considering a Tesla Wall, or server rack of Lithium batteries, with a solar panel grid in my shop. (Metal Roof).

I would not install them on my shingled roof, having worked in the industry.

If you have natural gas service to your residence, you can have a permanent generator installed. Size depends on what you want to run. You can get a gen which will power your entire house including HVAC if you wish. Several of my neighbors have them, a couple families added units since Ida. On a new install, you can have the company do all maintenance/service required. One of my neighbors is an older couple and this is what they have. They don't touch anything. The switchgear is automatic. The company comes out periodically and checks system and performs any required maintenance. Most are set up to run briefly monthly as a preventative step. Some folks don't want to be inconvenienced by even temporary outages these days. I got a bid for a perm unit about 4 years ago and decided to stick with a port unit, for hurricane survival/extended outages. I now have two smaller units and have plenty time to service and maintain mine (retired). But there may come a time in the future when my selection choice may change. Even if you do not have nat gas service, you can have a perm unit installed to run on propane, and install a 250 or 500 gallon tank, if you have the space. Or a solar array and a Tesla powerwall. Or multiple Powerwalls.

Instantaneous Power Rating of Tesla Powerwall = 7 kW

Continuous power
    is the power your battery can provide over a long period of time: for example, the power needed to keep your car running after it has been started. This will tell you how many appliances you can continue to run over a long period of time, say an hour or more.

Continuous Power of Tesla Powerwall = 5 kW

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I would definitely buy a electric vehicle if the charging stations were more wide spread. I drive in some remote country areas on a regular basis and I never see charging stations around when I need gas. Two years ago we towed a camper from Louisiana to Colorado. We drove through remote areas of Texas and New Mexico and I never saw an EV charging station. My brother has a Tesla and it is a really cool car, packed with technology. EVs will eventually replace gas powered cars but I will not buy one until the charging stations are about as wide spread as gas stations.

This is a great story about two people that drove from Chicago to New Orleans in an EV. They had a horrible time trying to charge the vehicle along the way. https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/electric-car-four-day-trip-more-time-charging-sleeping
    Great example of people who shouldnt have EV's. Maybe there should be an IQ test before letting people buy them. These two MENSA candidates couldnt even tell if they rented the correct battery size EV, couldnt figure out charger output, forgot to map 400 miles of the journey, and one couldnt figure out the door handles despite continued use. I can see why the media picked them for a story.

Tesla Supercharger network skips all this nonsense of PlugShare. It literally tells you on the screen how many chargers are there, their voltage, how many are being used, hos many broken, how many free....and the car plots exactly how to get there and how long. Unlike the two buffoons above, trips are easy.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Yup was waiting on that, YouTube some vids on lithium explode with contact to water… it’s worse than a bomb lol

I saw a lot of houses burning from the flood waters during the hurricane. Does this mean you will live in a cardboard box now? If so, let me know and I’ll put those garbage staccatos in my safe for you.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    If you have natural gas service to your residence, you can have a permanent generator installed. Size depends on what you want to run. You can get a gen which will power your entire house including HVAC if you wish. Several of my neighbors have them, a couple families added units since Ida. On a new install, you can have the company do all maintenance/service required. One of my neighbors is an older couple and this is what they have. They don't touch anything. The switchgear is automatic. The company comes out periodically and checks system and performs any required maintenance. Most are set up to run briefly monthly as a preventative step. Some folks don't want to be inconvenienced by even temporary outages these days. I got a bid for a perm unit about 4 years ago and decided to stick with a port unit, for hurricane survival/extended outages. I now have two smaller units and have plenty time to service and maintain mine (retired). But there may come a time in the future when my selection choice may change. Even if you do not have nat gas service, you can have a perm unit installed to run on propane, and install a 250 or 500 gallon tank, if you have the space. Or a solar array and a Tesla powerwall. Or multiple Powerwalls.

Instantaneous Power Rating of Tesla Powerwall = 7 kW

Continuous power
    is the power your battery can provide over a long period of time: for example, the power needed to keep your car running after it has been started. This will tell you how many appliances you can continue to run over a long period of time, say an hour or more.

Continuous Power of Tesla Powerwall = 5 kW
    While there is a gas main, I have no meter. Wouldn't do natural gas anyways.
    After Ida, my MIL's Generac wouldn't run because there wasn't enough pressure with all of the other whole house generators running on the block.
    I'd have to run both a gas line, and electrical a long distance to avoid carbon monoxide in my house, or the neighbors.
    If I go the whole house generator route, it'll be diesel powered. That brings up the problem of my wife having to fuel a diesel generator.

Tesla walls can be combined for greater output. I'd need two or three.

I've already got heavy enough electrical cables from my main panel box to my ballistic laboratory.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Have any of y'all who are arguing about owning a Tesla actually ever driven one for any extended period of time?

If not, I'd recommend it.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I saw a lot of houses burning from the flood waters during the hurricane. Does this mean you will live in a cardboard box now? If so, let me know and I’ll put those garbage staccatos in my safe for you.

duhhh the houses were burning from elect feed issues in the flood... just like elect car issues... no houses were burning because they had a gas tank...:doh: LOL, nice try peter pan, go back to wonderland with your dark tinted windows and fairy tails :dogkeke: and you know good and well your highfalutin safe wouldnt harbor my trashy staccatos....

Last edited:

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    right man!!! i knew you were on my side... natural gas dont burn without a spark form electricity.... stupid elect cars burning peoples house down

sorry bout the staccato's lol here ya go
    :bowdown:
    Whew, and I was worried about static electricity for a minute. Glad that cant happen :)

Much better. The women's Prada purses of the gun world rejoice at your submission.

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    Some of the biggest wind mills in the world are on Maui's E-SE coast, where they get hurricanes pretty regularly. They just lock the blades.

Large Wind mills are still crap, terrible for ecology during use and disposal.

Wave powered electric generators are the best, which is why we dont have them in the US on any scale...just like Diesel-Electric hybrids are the best power/efficiency machines in the world and we cant get them in the US unless it's for large corporate companies. Be damned if you can get a D/E car for your family.

Jeep made a D/E Renegade hybrid 10+yrs ago that real world tested at 110mpg, not allowed to bring it to market.

You can make diesel at home, under your car port, or even get disel engines to run on veggie oil.

Oligarchs don't want us to thrive, bad for low wage employment. They dont care about us, just about how they can use us and take/make money/power.

They have to keep the American spirit pinned down, as they try to murder it, because if it gets set free they'll never contain it again.
    A long time ago, once they started charging for pickup of waste oil instead of paying you for it, we started filtering and bringing home all our restaurant's cooking oil, then transestrify it and run it 50/50 in our Mercedes-Benz. Smelled like french fries.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    A long time ago, once they started charging for pickup of waste oil instead of paying you for it, we started filtering and bringing home all our restaurant's cooking oil, then transestrify it and run it 50/50 in our Mercedes-Benz. Smelled like french fries.
    in many areas where people are more into this type of stuff, people started charging for their waste cooking oil. It actually became an asset instead of a considerable business burden.

I'm glad someone relatively local was into that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom