What It Is, Bro

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Is this a carjacking, attempted auto theft, burglary of an unattended vehicle or what? Under the carjacking statute, the victim in this incident, armed with a handgun, could have shot and killed both perpetrators. That he was beaten and might have been easily killed is ample evidence he should have done so when he had the chance to protect himself. His bad. But since he was outside the vehicle and engaged in another activity, albeit one related to driving, i.e. gotta go, did this event begin as a carjacking attempt or another crime?:confused:

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20081123/NEWS01/811230306/1002

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Are you asking on the basis of the legal use of deadly force?

If so, you have to be in the vehicle when they illegally enter or attempt to enter.

Not saying he couldn't have used deadly force otherwise (i.e. use of force continuum) but not for the "car jacking" if he wasn't in the car.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    Not car Jacking.. but surely protecting your Property.. (there where stealing his car..)

But if he was taking his friend to a hotel, Where the hell was his friend? And if he had already dropped his friend off at the hotel. Why didnt he **** there?

Something not right about that story...

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    RS 14:64.2. Carjacking

A. Carjacking is the intentional taking of a motor vehicle, as defined in R.S. 32:1(40), belonging to another person, in the presence of that person, or in the presence of a passenger, or any other person in lawful possession of the motor vehicle, by the use of force or intimidation.

I don't read anything about having to be inside. "In the presence of that person" is pretty vague. As long as you are immediately and sufficiently near the vehicle that a reasonable person would consider you still in control of it....like pumping gas or urinating while traveling, that should cover you. One does not loose possession of their vehicle while doing the attendant things normally associated with vehicular driving and occupancy. Like hooking up.:D

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    RS 14:64.2. Carjacking

A. Carjacking is the intentional taking of a motor vehicle, as defined in R.S. 32:1(40), belonging to another person, in the presence of that person, or in the presence of a passenger, or any other person in lawful possession of the motor vehicle, by the use of force or intimidation.

I don't read anything about having to be inside. "In the presence of that person" is pretty vague. As long as you are immediately and sufficiently near the vehicle that a reasonable person would consider you still in control of it....like pumping gas or urinating while traveling, that should cover you. One does not loose possession of their vehicle while doing the attendant things normally associated with vehicular driving and occupancy. Like hooking up.:D

ianal. i would not walk out of my house and try and stop someone from STEALING your car. or out of the gas station from paying, or away from it. just my .02.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    public urination for the victim since all cops are evil JBT's :redfinger:

simple burglary, attempt auto theft, simple robbery, simple battery, theft, and theft of a firearm for the suspects. If they took the gun before beating him, armed robbery.

Top Bottom