What semi 12 gauge action is the most reliable

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I am thinking of picking up a 12 gauge semi-auto and would like opinions on what would be the most reliable operating system. Winchester, Rem., etc. What model of which.

In other words, which model would hold up and be the most durable and easiest to disassemble for cleaning. I will not be shooting much but am thinking of having one around for defense, survival, etc. Thanks

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was impressed with the Rem 1100 in a skeet course at UNO (I've posted about it here before). We cleaned it once per semester w/ wd40 and I can't remember a failurethat wasn't reload related.

That being said, for home defense, I'd go pump. Its more reliable (almost failure proof), less finicky when it comes to ammo, and cheaper.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Whats your price range?

The Benelli M1Super90 is a rotating bolt, inertia gun. Very reliable gun, minimal parts, and disassembles very easily for cleaning, however it is also a very expensive one just to have. Beretta Pintail is the same gun as a M1S90, but is discontinued. If you can find one, they usually go for cheaper than the Benelli. The Beretta FP1201 is a very similar Inertia gun, and cost much less, and is more oriented to be a HD/survival gun w/ extended mag tube and pistol grip stock. Only down side to Inertia guns is recoil is much "snappier" than gas guns with the same load.

Rem 1100's and 11-87's are also very good, just require more cleaning due to them being gas operated. Only thing I dont care for on the Rem autoloaders is the rubber 0-ring seals in the gas system, if one dry-rots, gets misplaced or damgaged while cleaning, or you get the wrong solvent on them, your in trouble. If you get a Rem Autoloader, make sure to get a few extra O-rings and an extractor/spring/plunger as they dissapear at the most inoportune time.

I'd stay away from the older winchester auto loaders (pre super X2), I forget the model off the top of my head, I think it was a 1200??

If you're not going to use it much, why not just pick up an 870?

Jeaux E

TROMIX Fan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2007
    Little Rock
    Saiga-12, IMHO.................

A Kalashnikov action is hard to beat for reliability............

Magazine capacity on the S-12 is anywhere from 2-rounds to 20-rounds........... Factory mags are 2, 5, and 8........10-round mags are US-made and available, and there are US-made 20-round drums also available.........Can't get that with a tube-fed gun............

Price is better, too.............

frqouqfhil7j8s3cu2iz.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    The only semi-auto shotgun I have is the FN SLP Mark I. One time while shooting, when the gun was very dirty, I had a cycling problem. Probably about 500-800 rounds through it, the malfunction occurred within the first 100 and had not been cleaned for the first time. Since then, no problem.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    I don't buy the pump more relaible that an auto loader. Come out to a police qualification and watch the pumps jam........granted, mostly due to operator error, but malfunctions none the less.

Whatever you buy, learn to use it properly and under duress if that is it's purpose.

Garra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Lafayette
    Saiga-12, IMHO.................

A Kalashnikov action is hard to beat for reliability............

Magazine capacity on the S-12 is anywhere from 2-rounds to 20-rounds........... Factory mags are 2, 5, and 8........10-round mags are US-made and available, and there are US-made 20-round drums also available.........Can't get that with a tube-fed gun............

Price is better, too.............

frqouqfhil7j8s3cu2iz.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Excuse me while I drool.
    :peep:

Ok didnt see a drool emote, so Ill just stare and wish.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom