What to do for long term storage?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    okay guys,

i have a friend whos father was a leo. he passed away several months ago. i was talking with him and he would like to know what he needs to do the his dad's glock to keep it in descent condition. he doesn't shoot but wants to keep it for sentimental reasons. so what should he do to keep it in good shape?

thanks,
    chow

Top Kek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    nola
    how long is long term?

a year? oil it and put it in the box somewhere w/ low humidity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Good news. It's a Glock. It won't be a rust bucket if you leave it stored for a long time. Tell him to wipe it down inside and out with some Breakfree CLP on a gun rag, reassemble, rack the slide, pull the trigger (so the trigger is in the rearward position) and then put it up somewhere.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Glock? Go ahead and drop it in a 5 gallon bucket full of cosmoline :-) lol But seriously, I would really post his long term storage intentions (length, where it will be kept, etc.). If in a SDB I would say a medium coat of break-free every 6 months (and then just clean it and re-coat it). HTH.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    personally I think it would make his dad proud if he learned how to shoot and got some use out of his old duty weapon.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    he has gone to the range before with his dad but he's not one to go on his own. ya i feel honored that he gave me several of his guns that he didn't want of his dads.

thanks birdman for cleaning up this page. it was really pissing me off how disrespectful some people can be espically comming from a mod.
    i'm sure the gun will be kept in his safe. i've read about people stating that they put a silca pack and use a food saver bag to keep the metal from oxidizing. i think next time he comes down i'll just show him how to break it down and tell him to wipe it down every once in a while.

Last edited:

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Just to let you know, it wouldn't have been cleaned up if it wasn't a thread about his dad's death. I'd expect my posts to get deleted just as fast. I mean, I don't usually censor, but sometimes we all can go a little bit over and then personal attacks happen. This is not to say that eWRXshun isn't a good mod, as he is. As a matter of fact, I shouldn't have edited his posts and let the administrator do it, but I wasn't looking at who's posts they were at the time. Just don't expect me to edit his posts for having a little bit of fun in other threads. Try to remember it's the internet and all sorts of wacky funny things can happen and be said.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    so if i say i want to #@%* in your wifes face you wouldn't get offended? it's not about having a little fun over the internet i can understand that. but like you said when it's about a loved one passing a little common sense would be appreciated. i mean this guy was a leo and we are talking about his service piece. there are a couple of boundaries that i would never cross over even on the internet. i guess i expected more from people who are mature enough to use a gun.

Last edited:

Top Kek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    nola
    so if i say i want to #@%* in your wifes face you wouldn't get offended? it's not about having a little fun over the internet i can understand that. but like you said when it's about a loved one passing a little common sense would be appreciated. i mean this guy was a leo and we are talking about his service piece. there are a couple of boundaries that i would never cross over even on the internet. i guess i expected more from people who are mature enough to use a gun.
    step off the high horse.

i wanted to know how long of a storage term you were talking about and i gave my two suggestions, the latter being in jest. you took it way too seriously and told me to **** off. in no way was it a blow at you, your friend or his father.

sure, maybe i should have just left it at the question...

...but it takes two to tango and without you telling me to **** off, we wouldnt be having this discussion.

like i said, for a year, oil it and put it in the box somewhere.

for a more "permanent" retiring but would still like it on hand, find someone with a vacuum sealer and toss some gel packs in there with the gun.

a display case with his shield and any medals, etc, might be more enjoyable. easy to take out and clean occasionally, not because it requires cleaning but because some satisfaction can be derived from it.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA

Look, you could have let it go with my deleting the posts. However, you are keeping on keeping on. All you had to do was start a NEW thread in a different forum. However, as you've kept it up, I won't delete any more.

jhco50

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2007
    Man! I have looked at this message for a couple of weeks or so and I joined this site just to answer it.:rolleyes:

Ok, I came up with this foolproof method while liveing in Southeast Texas several years ago. I don't get along with rust of anykind, let alone on my babies (guns). When I first moved to Texas, 1st morning in fact, I woke up to a fine coating of surface rust on my sweetheart Winchester 9422. I came from Colorado and we didn't have this humidity problem. I spent the next several months over oiling my guns and constantly watching them for "rust". I tried different products, but each one had it's faults.

Then one evening I was sitting on the living room floor with an oil sopped gun in one hand and an oil can in the other. I was staring out the window at my brothers car in a daydream, well evening dream, and all of a sudden, everything popped into place. Could it be this simple? Yep!

I took all of the oil off of my guns exterior and polished it with autowax, the mew modern wipe on-wipe off kind. Nu-tone, 2000 washes, etc. I polised the metal, the boar, the stock, everything. Ahhhhh, no more rust, none. I stored guns for months and when I reached in for one it was clean and no rust.

So there you have it. I hold no patents for my idea and I am happy to pass it along. Enjoy!:D

Sixshooter

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    looks like i missed an interesting few posts.

asian.... another thing you might want to tell your friend about is since this is LOUISIANA... with the freaking humidity EVERYWHERE, they do make gun cases that can control humidity. keep it clean and oiled as everyone said, but this might be another way for him to keep it up over any length of time.

best wishes

Top Bottom