When does an AK47 barrel wear out?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Smooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2022
    Destrehan
    I have a high volume AK and am attempting to get an idea when the barrel is worn out. It is still accurate to 100 yards but haven't had it passed 100 yards in two years.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Around 10k give or take, depends on actual military barrel, used military barrel, cheaper American made barre ect…. unless you do a bunch of full auto mag dumps and barrel starts to droop…. Then you just adjust sights for poi…

Mr Smooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2022
    Destrehan
    Thanks for the info, its still good at 100, maybe 3-4 moa with cheap ammo using a fair quality rest.

Mr Smooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2022
    Destrehan
    My AK has over 18K rounds, still headspacing fine and accurate. Never a mag dumper but tracked all the rounds through it based on concerns about Century AKs. Has had some parts failure but Century Arms replacement parts were free of charge, including shipping.
    I have two and am about to start using the other ak, it currently has 1600 rds down the pipe. Its bolt started to peen on the rear and Century Arms fixed it free of charge. It had to go back to them due to headspacing for a new bolt.
    These AKs have the Green Mountain Barrels and I am pleased. I suspect the 18K barrel is good for another 5K or more.
    I posted this question due to wondering if the performance I experienced was unusual.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Well Lucky Gunner used target keyholing for ARs so would assume if rounds are keyholing the target then it is worn out. Should apply to AKs as well as ARs.

Mr Smooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2022
    Destrehan
    Yes, I would use keyholing to determine that the bullet is not stabilized, as well as accuracy.

Currently the 18k round barrel is fine to 100yds. In the past I shot it out to 425yds at the old fts range on their coyote target with no issues, also no issues on their hog target at 300 yds. At some point I will make it down there again (under new ownership, Cutoff Shooting something) and test it at longer distance to see if accuracy has diminished

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Yes, I would use keyholing to determine that the bullet is not stabilized, as well as accuracy.

Currently the 18k round barrel is fine to 100yds. In the past I shot it out to 425yds at the old fts range on their coyote target with no issues, also no issues on their hog target at 300 yds. At some point I will make it down there again (under new ownership, Cutoff Shooting something) and test it at longer distance to see if accuracy has diminished
    "Cut Off Range Complex"....Also a sponsor of this board. His revolving ad is at the top of the pages.

Mr Smooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2022
    Destrehan
    Accuracy might diminish prior to throat erosion, gas port erosion could also occur abusing the rifle during cycling.

Mr Smooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2022
    Destrehan
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like,your opinion, man

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rynola
    Top Bottom