Where are some good competitive shooting spots in the area

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    As jdavid1 said! What kind of Competition are you looking to get into?

Check out this thread. It list all the local clubs in South East LA and some in MS. All the clubs listed in this thread mostly are geared towards USPSA, Steel Challenge.
    lots of good info in the below thread that should answer most of you question.

NOTE: The Local Steel Challenge club - LSS-Louisiana Speed Shooters, maybe shutting down in the next couple of months, Due to the lack of participation. I've been trying to keep the club alive, not being able to get more than 6 to 10 shooters each month. It's not worth the time or effort setting up and putting on the SC match.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Best way to start is watch some beginner youtube videos on USPSA. That will get you familiar with the general sport. Then sign up on practiscore.com. You can see all the local matches in your area. If you pick one and show up early to help set up the guys in the club will help you out. The link posted above will give a run down on the local clubs and the type of matches.

My first match was USPSA and the guys at Tangi were all awesome. I was nervous as can be for my first match and they were super helpful. That's the same with all the other clubs as most of the guys travel to each club every weekend. Everyone who is starting out I recommend starting with a steel match. You will learn all the commands and rules without having to worry about reloading, moving, and stage planning. It's a good way to get your feet wet.

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    If you are interested in High Power Rifle we have a great way to introduce somebody to either F-Class or Across the course.

We shoot the fourth Sunday of most months.

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Are you still doing the SC at Palo Alto?
    As of right now yes, giving it a couple more months. But I don't see it lasting much longer.

In the past 2 years I have only been able to have 8 SC Matches. That's 16 months of no matches, 5 of those 16 were canceled due to weather. The remaining 11 months were canceled due to lack of participation, (Less that 10 shooters signed up).

We need a min of 10 people to sign up.
    Even that is too small of a group to put on a match.
    The time and effort isn't worth it anymore. Getting out to the range 1.5hrs before everyone else. To get everything opened up, stages setup, setup the tablets and check in, and have the match. When the match is over we have to do everything in reverse.

We go hammer down at 9:00 typically done around 11:30 / 12:00ish. That's 2.5 / 3 hrs for the shooter that just comes out to shoot.
    Now from the Setup Crew perspective add 2 to 3 hrs on top of that for setup & teardown.

It's not worth it anymore. 2 years of trying to build it back up from 45 to 60 shooters we used to get every month.
    Posting up on 10+ local Shooting Forums and FB Groups. Hell I've even talked with the local Boy Scout Troops and 4H clubs and they all want nothing to do with it.
    Going to do my best and give it till about April, maybe sooner. All depending on how participation goes over the next month or two.

I'm done!
    I know this was more than you asked for but I couldn't stop typing.

Bryan B.

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    Bryan,

I hate to hear that. I am a rifle competitor and have seen the numbers dwindle at Palo Alto. I am also Match Director for South Louisiana High Power. We had 20 shooters for our first match this year and I was very excited about that. However 15 years ago, 30 plus was common. We have been working on increasing participation but it is tough. We are moving to Electronic targets, I am starting to run clinics after the match to help newer shooters, post on Bayou Shooters, post on Facebook, etc.

Good luck with your future matches.

proplaya

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have some interest in this sport but unsure on how to start. Any recommendations?
    Just start. Go to a match with whatever equipment you have.

Every match I’ve been in I’ve been nearly last.

I was going to be top 3 at 3 gun this weekend, but they cancelled the match.

Closest 3 gun is in the Kiln Ms.

proplaya

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I heard they cancelled the 3gun in Kiln permanently.
    It might be in Picayune. It’s somewhere right there. I went 12/31/23. January’s was postponed due to rain then canceled when it rained the next weekend too.

Club is called SMSPS. Next 3 gun is 2/25/24. It’s at MCTA range on flattop road.

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    SMSPS is trying to keep 3gun going at MCTA after loosing our old range in Poplarville. Turnout is low, and we have been screwed up by weather a lot. We normally shoot last Sunday of the month, with the first Sunday of the following month as backup. That being said, a lot of our guys will be out of town for Feb. 25, so I'm moving it back to March 3. If we get rained out then, we will cancel and move on to the normal March date of March 31. I always recommend that anyone interested that has never shoot a match before, come out and watch one, but we welcome new shooters and anyone is welcome to come out, we will show you as you go.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Looking for a competitive range around the area any recommendations?
    Downtown Baton Rouge after dark…

Used to sound like fireworks after dark at my grandmothers house on Lanier Dr….. I used to have to go patch bullet holes in her roof every so often when she starts to get water spots on here ceiling…

Last edited:

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    I think a major part is ammo cost. You can count on around 75 rds of pistol and rifle, prob 50 bird shot, some days will be more. Add that to match fees, gas getting there, adds up, along with spending a day doing it. Also, a lot of people cant put the money and time into it to get good, and loose interest quickly.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    I think a major part is ammo cost. You can count on around 75 rds of pistol and rifle, prob 50 bird shot, some days will be more. Add that to match fees, gas getting there, adds up, along with spending a day doing it. Also, a lot of people cant put the money and time into it to get good, and loose interest quickly.
    Too bad big ammo supplers dont support smaller shoots, atleast give discounts.

Top Bottom