Which optics ready pistol?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I'm awaiting my stamp to come in for a otter creek labs surpressor.

Once that is in, I planned to go buy a Taurus TX22 competition that day along with another red dot. I absolutely love shooting my regular TX22 but I'm not sure if I would rather the Ruger Mark IV that's optics ready with a threaded barrel.

For those who have shot both, which do you prefer and why? This will be to hunt /plink. Weight is not a concern. Only cheap bulk supwr sonic ammo will be used.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    I'm awaiting my stamp to come in for a otter creek labs surpressor.

Once that is in, I planned to go buy a Taurus TX22 competition that day along with another red dot. I absolutely love shooting my regular TX22 but I'm not sure if I would rather the Ruger Mark IV that's optics ready with a threaded barrel.

For those who have shot both, which do you prefer and why? This will be to hunt /plink. Weight is not a concern. Only cheap bulk supwr sonic ammo will be used.
    The MK4 is amazing! I didn’t shoot it suppressed, but this setup is absolutely amazing! It was a little pricey, but well worth it! That’s the new Bushnell competition red dot.

Attachments

• IMG_8431.jpeg
      IMG_8431.jpeg
      844.1 KB · Views: 14
    • IMG_8432.jpeg
      IMG_8432.jpeg
      704.3 KB · Views: 15
    • IMG_8436.jpeg
      IMG_8436.jpeg
      861 KB · Views: 15

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Mark 4, I shoot the bulk stuff too but I really like the CCI standard velocity.

Attachments

• Resized_20200812_211115_1496553222892232.jpeg
      Resized_20200812_211115_1496553222892232.jpeg
      448.5 KB · Views: 14

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    While I don't own a suppressor, I do own a TX22 and love shooting it also. I have never had a failure that wasn't ammo's fault which was only 1 or 2 in over a 1K rds. As far as reliability I would swear on the TX22, I even added a red dot and light to mine with no failures. Sub sonics, standard velocity or high velocity all work fine.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    The Mark IV will be built better and more accurate for sure. If you're only using super sonic ammo, it should suppress fine as well with an optic.

Just for thought though, I'm pretty sure the TX competition version that the optic does not sit on the slide. Even though optics are very light now, the weight of the optic on the slide and a suppressor should make the Taurus reliable with a greater variation of ammo than the Mark IV. That would be if you want the "Hollywood" quiet subsonic loads, or I like to shoot match standard velocity ammo.

Again, if you are sticking to super sonic loads, both should be fine though.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I have the TX competition and love it. I shoot it suppressed and no hiccups. I don't have a red dot on it but twinin is right the red dot would mount to a plate that is on the barrel so it isn't on the slide. Not sure about accuracy as I just plink with it and it seems to be fairly good nuf for that.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have quite a few of what you’re referring to and I prefer the MKIV for “plink/hunt” as you say, and with the little STS dot I have, it’s the best of mine for squirrels and anything else I want to bag. Hard to beat those little Rugers for accuracy, especially the Standards.

Attachments

• IMG_3770.png
      IMG_3770.png
      2.3 MB · Views: 11

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    People are mentioning the optic not moving with the slide on the taurus as a positive. I did not even think of that so I'm glad you guys chimed in.

The mark iv's dot won't move either so that a big plus. I think I am set on the mark iv tactical. Other versions look better but it checks all the boxes and has a rail to mount a light under it.

I told myself I'd leave whatever I get alone but there sure are a lot of aftermarket goodies for it.

Top Bottom