Who offers individual carbine training?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bergeron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Hey Team,

My best bud and his wife are new gun owners who are jumping into the carbine world, and I'd like to be able to support them by arranging a 3-person class (him & her, plus me). They've each had their own pistol for about a year, and are the new owners of a 16" 5.56mm AR carbine that I had built for them.

He's got a hunting background from his high school years, while she's only had her recent pistol experience. A full 8-20 person class might be a bit much for her, and I've heard that a lot of places that already offer classes are willing to do more individualized training. I've got spare 9mm and .22 16" carbines so that each of us can be on the line and firing at the same time.

I would be looking for an instructor somewhere along the Lafayette-Baton Rouge-NOLA corridor, and would be totally cool with an indoor range- for a first class, and considering the reasons behind their acquisition of the carbine (home defense), 25 yards seems like plenty far enough for their purposes. Bonus points (but not necessary) if the instructor is also a woman.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Just ask Lewis to identify as a woman and you're good to go

Bergeron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Lol, it certainly doesn’t have to be a lady trainer! The Phobos responses are overwhelming and encouraging.

I’ve asked my friends for some calendar availability, and we will go from there!

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Do you know Lewis? I don’t but I’m guessing he’d get the joke and laugh, I think most of those guys have a sense of humor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I do, we taught together at the same Schoolhouse for years. He's got a great sense of humor, knows a lot of ****, and would look horrible in a wig.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Do you know Lewis? I don’t but I’m guessing he’d get the joke and laugh, I think most of those guys have a sense of humor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He’s got a good sense of humor and I agree with Kurt that Lewis would be a hideous woman.

But as far as training women he is good to go. I’ve seen him train SWAT and SF guys, women in their 70s who have never held a gun, six year old kids and everyone in between. He’s calm, consistent, and patient.

Here’s the thing—-there are plenty of guys who are outstanding teachers who don’t know anything about actually killing folks (this is a lot of the trainers out there), then there are guys who are bad asses but who can’t teach (and usually don’t even try or want to). Lewis not only has the knowledge base and a lifetime of first hand experience, he actually can teach.

He goes into a class with lesson plans and methodologies that he tailors to the experience and constitution of his students and isn’t afraid to switch things up or teach differently if that’s what he needs to do to get the point across. You really learn in his classes. It’s not war stories and rolling around on the ground and dumb ****. He starts with the basics and builds from there. I can’t even tell you how many of his classes I have been in and I’ve also happened to be at classes where he is teaching that I am not in and I’ve watched the learning happen. It’s really cool. He’s not just a big meathead, the dude is really smart.

Investing in training is like buying a gun. Price isn’t important as finding a good value. Training with Phobos is an excellent value. While they may not be the cheapest, the learning per dollar far exceeds every other instructor I’ve watched in this region and is on par with anyone I’ve seen anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OzymandiasX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Might be a bit late jumping in the bandwagon, but another +1 for Phobos from me. I took one of their mid-level handgun classes and learned a lot.

Top Bottom