WTB: Original Black Talon Ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Just for nostalgic reasons, Im looking for a box or two of the original Black Talon ammo. I already have some in 9mm, so Im looking for some other caliber. The only stipulation is that the box be in good condition.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    can anyone tell me why they stopped making these?

They are still making these rounds...
    When they were first sold in the 90's, they came in a black box that said Winchester Black Talon (AKA "Ranger Talon," "Ranger SXT," and "Supreme Ultimate Fail-Safe").

It was due to the way the JHP expanded and caused little "Tallons or eagle like claws on the end".
    Here are some pics of the expansion:
    blacktalon%20010.jpg

1926dept44310.jpg

After Numerous people expired after being shot by these, Winchester changed the name time and time again. They are still being made, just under a different name/box style.

Here is the orig box:

bt-40.jpg

pix615625656.jpg

pix615625828.jpg

Then was changed to this:
    sxt9.jpg

and now the current version:
    1926_pd884993_1.jpg

So if you see some Winchester Ranger ammo for sale and it reads something like this: WINCHESTER RANGER (RA40T) - .40S&W 180grn SXT, the "T" at the end of the description (RA40T) means that is is Talon ammo.
    They are STILL a bad ass round!!!

Oh yeah, one of the funniest things I ever heard/ready about the Black talon's is this:

Simply put, this is some damned fine fire power! If Jesus himself were packing heat, rest assured it would be loaded with these magnificent rounds. Why is that, you ask? Well aside from the fact that despite the girly long hair, Jesus ain't no pu$$ie - and he'd want ammo specially and painstakingly designed to cause unparalleled damage to human flesh!

Last edited:

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I understand that the "Black Talon" ammo is the same as the Ranger T-series I carry everyday but if the "Black Talons" were so popular, why did Winchester change the name? Whats the point?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I think when the Lubalox was removed (for whatever reason) the projectiles were simply no longer black. Copper-colored Talons just doesn't have the same ring to it...

As to that reason, I think that some people weren't fans of the Lubalox in their barrels, and (seriously) I've also heard that the black community claimed they were offended by the color since they were used on so many of them.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom