Handgun Fundamentals and CHP / Gunfighter I - June 15-16 (Robert, LA)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Advantage Group

Train Hard
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Louisiana
    Hey guys we've got another great weekend of training coming up. We've been having too much fun with advanced classes lately so we decided to turn it down a notch and do some more intro level classes. If you're a novice shooter ready to take your defensive shooting more seriously, or just need to get the fundamentals down so you can proceed to our advanced classes on your path to full-blown Combative Awesomeness™...this weekend is for you.

If you've shot Gunfighter I before and need a refresher, chances are you'll still learn something new as the curriculum continues to evolve and be fine tuned. Besides, we all know you haven't been practicing what you learned like you were supposed to, have you? :squint:

June 15
    Handgun Fundamentals and CHP
    This class serves as an introduction to owning and carrying a handgun, for new shooters and those seeking a concealed carry permit. The curriculum meets and exceeds the education requirements for the Louisiana Concealed Weapons Permit, with further emphasis on the shooting portion. A certificate will be provided upon completion.

No prior shooting experience required.

Full Course Details

Register Now

June 16
    Gunfighter I
    Gunfighter I is our intro level defensive pistol class focusing primarily on handgun fundamentals and manipulations, the survival mindset, and basic gun fight tactics. Whether you are a new gun owner, concealed permit holder, casual shooter, or even a well-tuned enthusiast, you are guaranteed to walk away with new skills and significantly improved ability to defend yourself.

Full Course Details

Register Now

*NOTE: I lied, we didn't actually trademark the phrase "Combative Awesomeness". But dammit we should.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    These classes are eligible for a Fathers Day discount. Sign up and bring a son, daughter, spouse, friend, or whomever for half price.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    These classes are eligible for a Fathers Day discount. Sign up and bring a son, daughter, spouse, friend, or whomever for half price.

Awesome deal. Started cussing when I saw the facebook post. It's like I have a talent for planning trips on the same day AG is doing GF 1. Heading to Dallas that weekend for a wedding. This marks about the 5th straight time I've had a conflict that I couldn't get out of.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Roddy yes it meets the requirements for the State of La. And yes 15 is old enough. We don't have a hard and fast age limit we count on you assessing the maturity of the kid your bringing. We have had girls as young as 12.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I was interested in taking the Gunfighter I course. I was reading through the details and noticed the NO Serpa holsters. The only non-concealed holster I have for my gun is a serpa. Is there a reason for not allowing Serpa and are there any exceptions? (I will buy a new holster if need be, just didnt know the reasoning behind the rule. Excuse my ignorance if it is a common issue or rule accross the board.) Thanks guys.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I was interested in taking the Gunfighter I course. I was reading through the details and noticed the NO Serpa holsters. The only non-concealed holster I have for my gun is a serpa. Is there a reason for not allowing Serpa and are there any exceptions? (I will buy a new holster if need be, just didnt know the reasoning behind the rule. Excuse my ignorance if it is a common issue or rule accross the board.) Thanks guys.

If you disable the retention button it can slide (last course I attended with AG there was a guy that did this). I'll let Nate explain why they're a bad design, but I don't allow them either after hearing Nate's explanation and then seeing the results for myself.

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    Along with the explanation could you please suggest an alternative holster for the class? Thanks for the info.
    Because of accidental discharge when unholstering the weapon . It can be easy for finger to go inside of the trigger guard because of the position of the release. You can google serpa holster being dangerous and there are many articles hope this helps

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Because of accidental discharge when unholstering the weapon . It can be easy for finger to go inside of the trigger guard because of the position of the release. You can google serpa holster being dangerous and there are many articles hope this helps

Pretty much this. There are multiple reasons the design of the Serpa sucks, but the one that concerns trainers is the retention mechanism. It places your trigger finger in line with the trigger, making a pressing motion. Bad juju. While it may seem like non-issue playing with it around the house and what not, we all tend to do weird things when performing under stress/pressure such as that introduced during a class. There have been several injuries due to the Serpa holster, enough that many PDs and most respectable training companies have banned them from use.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of dudes with a lot of Serpas have taken classes without shooting themselves. It's not that everyone with a Serpa will have an accident, just that most accidents happen with a Serpa. Safety is number one priority and it's just not worth the risk to allow a holster we don't think people should use anyway. We realize this can be an inconvenience so we keep several loaner holsters on hand (for Glocks anyway) and have Interstate Guns and J-Dog on tap to help get people squared away.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I figured it had something to do with the placement of the finger. I have used mine for years with zero issues but I def aggree that people do weird things under pressure and dont dismiss the concerns. I will look into a backup holster for the class (ill most prob be using my uspc so a loner is prob remote) Thanks for the input gents.

Top Bottom