Handgun Fundamentals and CHP / Gunfighter I - June 15-16 (Robert, LA)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Based on my experience with the design and the input of others who's opinions I lend a lot of weight to I feel the design is unsafe. Under stress shooters tend to push down before pulling up. Any mix up in timing can cause an ND. Your welcome to train in your concealed holster. It is a good way to build reps and determine if the holster you selected is good kit. I also recommend that anyone who's serious about pursuing firearms training pick up the following 3 items: A real Gun Belt, a Kydex OWB Holster (I like Bladetech and its available in the shop at Interstate Guns in Hammond), and a Kydex Double Mag Pouch. Buy quality stuff and it will out live you.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I was interested in taking the Gunfighter I course. I was reading through the details and noticed the NO Serpa holsters. The only non-concealed holster I have for my gun is a serpa. Is there a reason for not allowing Serpa and are there any exceptions? (I will buy a new holster if need be, just didnt know the reasoning behind the rule. Excuse my ignorance if it is a common issue or rule accross the board.) Thanks guys.

Why not train with your concealment holster. I don't understand everyone taking classes with an outside the waistband holster when they carry IWB.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Why not train with your concealment holster. I don't understand everyone taking classes with an outside the waistband holster when they carry IWB.

90% of the time I agree 100%. For guys taking their first class or two an IWB holster can be distract from focusing on the fundamentals and slow them down, so an OWB holster isn't a terrible idea. Certainly don't ever recommend any fancy speed/competition style holsters though.

After a class or two once someone becomes more comfortable and proficient it's definitely not a bad idea to practice how you carry. It's also a good way to validate your gear, I've seen a ton of people realize their magical carry holster ain't so magical when used in a more realistic environment. Which is also another reason to have decent OWB as backup in case you realize your SuperCarry 9000 polymer/leather/gnarwal skin hybrid rig takes 3 hands to reholster.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Some instructors require OWB. I prefer to carry OWB anyway

I would not take a defensive pistol class from an instructor that does not allow me to train the way I carry my defensive pistol. If you carry OWB, by all means train that way.

I do understand what speedracer is saying about the comfort level of someone new taking a class with an IWB holster.

When I took GF 1 last year I was just very surprised when I was the only one carrying IWB.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I may just shoot my M&P instead. I have a kydex for it, just need to find a few more mags if that is the case. It is technically the "wifes" so Ill be the one with the hot pink holster =P

I agree with the being able to train the way you carry, I just always assumed the OWB was the typical route for a training class of this type. I use a Remora for the USP when I carry it, so it collapses upon the gun being drawn so its not really that practical for a training environment.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Besides the fact that the holster can be a distractor depending n it's type the other concern with IWB holsters is usually heat. In high round count classes your gun gets hot an IWB becomes
    Really uncomfy. Since we scaled back the round count for GF1 heat shouldn't be a factor however the issues you cited with your Remora type holster probably would be.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Nate, What round count can we plan on?

If I make this class I'm gonna run a G17 in a C-Tac and a Comp Tac double Mag Pouch "should be interesting lol".

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I figured it had something to do with the placement of the finger. I have used mine for years with zero issues but I def aggree that people do weird things under pressure and dont dismiss the concerns. I will look into a backup holster for the class (ill most prob be using my uspc so a loner is prob remote) Thanks for the input gents.

It is also possible for the a little grit to cause the holster to lock up and in order to use the pistol you may have to cut the holster apart.
    If you want an OWB with retention a Safariland ALS 6377 or 6378 works fine.

Last edited:

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    If you are in need of a holster for the class and would like one made from kydex shoot me a pm. If you are signed up and paid for the AG class let me know so I can expedite your holster.

Justin

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    There are spaces left in both days. The Fathers Day Deal makes it
    Really easy to ensure the preparedness of your loves ones. Don't miss out.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    UPDATE: Guys and gals, we are several people short of the minimum each class. We are doing everything we can to offer y'all the best training in the area at the best rates, but we can't do it if no one shows up. If you're on the fence it's do or die time. Even if you can't make it this time, please pass it on to your friends, family, coworkers or whoever else may be interested in getting their CHP or taking protecting themselves and loved ones more seriously. It'll only take a minute to spread the word and I promise it won't hurt a bit.

Check out our website at http://www.advantagegrouptraining.comto sign up or share the info.

We're setting a cutoff of 1800 tomorrow (Monday) evening. No payments will be collected until we know the classes are a go so no worries about refunds, etc.

Top Bottom