Lights on your cc rig

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPS

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    Port Vincent, Louisiana
    Is having a light on your cc gun a great advantage or is it just as good as night sights. I've always had night sights but have been tossing around the idea of getting a light. Does it affect your draw stroke? Does it get in the way? And what are some good choices?

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Hand held light is the way i roll. Sometimes pointing a gun at something is not how you want to get light into an area.

In my experience light draws fire.

After taking Shivworks AMIS I really like lasers on hand guns for "hunting" in a structure in combo of a handheld light. A handheld light light/oc combo would be ideal.

Last edited:

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    I have the kydex molded out to fit both firearm and light, so my draw isn't affected.
    But, Ive recently switched to hand held, thats only because I dont see myself using the light on the firearm during the day(Im usually at home by sunset).
    Only the home defense firearm has the light attached to it.
    :)

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    You'll find many on here who cc carry a handheld. I believe any defensive firearm should have a weapon mounted light. Just dont confuse using a weapon mounted light as you would a hand held. Its a bad habit to muzzle anything you dont intend to destroy.

With that being said, surefire x series light are my #1 pick then the steamlight. There are no better options for a pistol light.

I have zero issue with my draw. M&p9, trijicon sights, Surefire x300ultra & Kimberly 1911 Gold Combat Surefire x200. I carry surefire handhelds as well.

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I've never understood why to have one on a cc pistol. I liked how James Yeager put it that there is not many places that you may go at night that don't have light like street lights, parking lot lights etc.

Not that Yeager isn't a little nuts from time to time but I like some of the logic he uses.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HV9zpA6h08k

I do carry a handheld though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles my phone light does.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I keep a light on my home gun. If I CC a pistol (which isn't often with being in college still) it doesn't have a light on it. I also make a habit of not going places at night besides friends houses and what not.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I started re thinking this a few weeks ago. I always carry; even sitting on the sofa. My wife was sitting on the front porch when someone walked into our yard at about 9pm. He didn't see her until she stood up to walk inside. She came in and told me and I went outside. He was gone when I went out. So I had to check my yard and find this POS, so I went in and grabbed a gun with a light to clear my yard that does have some dark spots. Now I was stuck with an extra gun without a holster (not good). Anyway I found him at an abandoned house next door and we "discussed" ;) the situation as he walked passed my house again. He never saw the gun in my hand luckily, that could of needlessly escalated the situation. When out I usually carry a small handheld light but not usually sitting at home. It made me rethink a lot of how I carry. I will be adding a light to my carry weapon soon. A hand held would be good to keep on all the time as well. 1 is none 2 is one.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Hand held for me as of now. I may give a WML another try but so far I have found more cons than pros.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I carry a USPc with a TLR-1s IWB. (Damn that's a lot of acronyms! ;)) I haven't encountered any issues other than a little added bulk, however a good holster helps mitigate that. My RM holster from Kee has functioned flawlessly so far. A WML on a carry pistol, IMO, is like the pistol itself. Always better to have and not need than need and not have. That said, I also carry a Streamlight PT-1L for when light is needed without the intent to destroy.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    What cons do you see with it?

Weight,
    Never found a IWB holster that I care for,
    I don't clear my yard using a gun if someone is in my yard I send my wife to check it or call the cops,
    I'm not pointing my gun at someone to find out if they are a threat or not,

I have 3 guns with WML. G-17 AR-15 and a 870 but the OP asked about CC guns and those are my HD guns.

I know I know train more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    That isn't a training thing, it is a preference thing. I wouldn't carry without one, but I've got to drive through the 9th ward and they don't have **** for lights.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    That isn't a training thing, it is a preference thing. I wouldn't carry without one, but I've got to drive through the 9th ward and they don't have **** for lights.

In your case I'm sure it's best you do. I worry about the day I will need it and not have it but those are the reasons I got away from it. I'm gonna try again at some point.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    My bedside Glock is mounted with a TLR-1.

EDC gun is not. Hand-held for me, as well.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Just carry a hand held to use when your not sure about the threat level, but have a wml mounted for when you need it

Damn, I can't believe I just said that!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Weight,
    Never found a IWB holster that I care for,
    I don't clear my yard using a gun if someone is in my yard I send my wife to check it or call the cops,
    I'm not pointing my gun at someone to find out if they are a threat or not,

I have 3 guns with WML. G-17 AR-15 and a 870 but the OP asked about CC guns and those are my HD guns.

I know I know train more!

It took a lot of "education" for me to reach that conclusion, and many prior posters could learn from it. Clearing your yard/nearby area is a good way to make bad go worse, and @ US- clearing a house alone is an excellent way to end up dead. It can't be done safely solo.

If threat is in your domicile, ie; threatening physical harm to you or your family, handle business accordingly.
    If trespasser is just on your yard, in your shed, etc - call the police. You're giving up far too many advantages by walking out there. God forbid them shoot you and now your family defenseless until help arrives.

OP: I use WML's on my every firearm except my .380 and "summer carry" g19 - because I need them to be small. The most underdiscussed benefit of a WML (and its more critical to me than others) is that it frees up a hand. I can't carry a gun in one hand, a light in the other, AND my child/bag/whatever - with the WML, I can. I don't see a light on my gun, I see an "extra hand" - and you don't realize how powerful that is until you've only got one to use. Test theory sometime.

Last edited:

LPS

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    Port Vincent, Louisiana
    Thanks guys for all the posts I think ima go check some of these out the reason i was trying to get this figured out was so I could tell Kee how to finish my holster on Monday

Thanks again

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    It took a lot of "education" for me to reach that conclusion, and many prior posters could learn from it. Clearing your yard/nearby area is a good way to make bad go worse, and @ US- clearing a house alone is an excellent way to end up dead. It can't be done safely solo.

If threat is in your domicile, ie; threatening physical harm to you or your family, handle business accordingly.
    If trespasser is just on your yard, in your shed, etc - call the police. You're giving up far too many advantages by walking out there. God forbid them shoot you and now your family defenseless until help arrives.

OP: I use WML's on my every firearm except my .380 and "summer carry" g19 - because I need them to be small. The most underdiscussed benefit of a WML (and its more critical to me than others) is that it frees up a hand. I can't carry a gun in one hand, a light in the other, AND my child/bag/whatever - with the WML, I can. I don't see a light on my gun, I see an "extra hand" - and you don't realize how powerful that is until you've only got one to use. Test theory sometime.

Agreed, clearing anything by yourself is very unsafe. If in my house/yard, I'm doing it. Smart, probably not in Most cases; safe, absolutely not. Either way, I will be getting a light for my carry gun just to have the option.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Thanks guys for all the posts I think ima go check some of these out the reason i was trying to get this figured out was so I could tell Kee how to finish my holster on Monday

Thanks again

Great choice! Its what I continue to use. Very comfortable and the WML does not inhibit carry. If you go with the Surefire X300Ultra, he should have the mold for it since I was the first person he made one for.

Top Bottom