Lights on your cc rig

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Great choice! Its what I continue to use. Very comfortable and the WML does not inhibit carry. If you go with the Surefire X300Ultra, he should have the mold for it since I was the first person he made one for.

yeah I had to dash out of the office but wanted to comment. you picked an excellent, excellent guy for a holster. Kee's holster is just too good. I've got a review on here somewhere that goes into further detail.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I know I know train more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a general statement and not directed to anyone in specific.

You would be surprised how difficult night shooting in a defensive/tactical situation is with a light. Running around your house with the lights out attempting to learn for yourself is NOT the way to do it. Ever wonder why there are not many classes offered for low light? It’s a completely different BEAST. I have only three low light classes under my belt and I still feel like I have only scratched the surface. Far from comfortable with it. I found that the bravado of, "I'll clear my house if someone breaks in," is gone out the door. 911, then wait for police or hunker down in safe room with family until police arrive.

This is all just my opinion and I post with the hope that others will inquire more into this specialized skill to learn for themselves. CHEERS!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

You would be surprised how difficult night shooting in a defensive/tactical situation is with a light. Running around your house with the lights out attempting to learn for yourself is NOT the way to do it. Ever wonder why there are not many classes offered for low light? It’s a completely different BEAST. I have only three low light classes under my belt and I still feel like I have only scratched the surface. Far from comfortable with it. I found that the bravado of, "I'll clear my house if someone breaks in," is gone out the door. 911, then wait for police or hunker down in safe room with family until police arrive.

This is all just my opinion and I post with the hope that others will inquire more into this specialized skill to learn for themselves. CHEERS!

Yeah, if I could convince friends and family of anything its that "ill grab my gun and ________" is almost always a bad idea. After you combine waking up to bad sounds with low light encounters, stress, etc, and stir- you realize that its a **** sandwich. If you haven't trained for this- its a soggy one.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

What low light classes have you took? In a shoot house?

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Yeah, if I could convince friends and family of anything its that "ill grab my gun and ________" is almost always a bad idea. After you combine waking up to bad sounds with low light encounters, stress, etc, and stir- you realize that its a **** sandwich. If you haven't trained for this- its a soggy one.

Even WITH training its a "S&*# Sandwich"!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Home Defense (w/ airsoft), AMIS (Armed Movment in Structures)(simunition rounds), & Low Light Weapon Employment(live fire).

Sounds like all good stuff. I feel I have a good in home plan but Im gonna hit as many private, low light and indoor classes as I can this and next year.

Thanks

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    It took a lot of "education" for me to reach that conclusion, and many prior posters could learn from it. Clearing your yard/nearby area is a good way to make bad go worse, and @ US- clearing a house alone is an excellent way to end up dead. It can't be done safely solo.

If threat is in your domicile, ie; threatening physical harm to you or your family, handle business accordingly.
    If trespasser is just on your yard, in your shed, etc - call the police. You're giving up far too many advantages by walking out there. God forbid them shoot you and now your family defenseless until help arrives.

OP: I use WML's on my every firearm except my .380 and "summer carry" g19 - because I need them to be small. The most underdiscussed benefit of a WML (and its more critical to me than others) is that it frees up a hand. I can't carry a gun in one hand, a light in the other, AND my child/bag/whatever - with the WML, I can. I don't see a light on my gun, I see an "extra hand" - and you don't realize how powerful that is until you've only got one to use. Test theory sometime.

+1000 on everything said

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    I run an X300U on my duty weapon and off duty carry. Works like a champ, if'n you're in the market. Also, great customer support and warranty.

My rationale is this, and Im not saying its clear, concise or correct thinking, so bear with me (and feel free to tell me if/where Im ****ing up):

On duty, I have an R1 Lawman as well. So if it needs illuminated, I can use that option. But, for clearing rooms/buildings and the like, its nice to have that off-side hand freed up for other stuff. And, as poor light discipline does draw unwanted bullets, the X300U's ability to flip on and off fast is nice. That hand freed up is big. Keying a radio, opening a door knob, scratching my ass, whatever... all become a pain when that hand is carrying a flashlight. I hate that. I try to avoid it when possible.

Off duty, the very, very last thing (in what will have probably been a long list of things) that will happen will be a weapon coming out and getting pointed at someone. In that case it will probably be a relatively close distance from me to them, and I want the brightest light I can get to blind them and hopefully foul up their target acquisition abilities long enough for me to tactically retreat (read: run, whimpering, like a bitch into the night) or give me the split second to reduce the threat before he can launch an effective attack.

That all said, if its summertime, and Im rocking flipflops shorts and a t-shirt during the day... the light is coming off so its less to print. If the girlfriend and I are out getting into something, Im usually carrying a backpack that no one would look twice at that wasnt a Goonies fan (ancient yellow Northface pack) and the light is usually stowed in there.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I run an X300U on my duty weapon and off duty carry. Works like a champ, if'n you're in the market. Also, great customer support and warranty.

My rationale is this, and Im not saying its clear, concise or correct thinking, so bear with me (and feel free to tell me if/where Im ****ing up):

On duty, I have an R1 Lawman as well. So if it needs illuminated, I can use that option. But, for clearing rooms/buildings and the like, its nice to have that off-side hand freed up for other stuff. And, as poor light discipline does draw unwanted bullets, the X300U's ability to flip on and off fast is nice. That hand freed up is big. Keying a radio, opening a door knob, scratching my ass, whatever... all become a pain when that hand is carrying a flashlight. I hate that. I try to avoid it when possible.

Off duty, the very, very last thing (in what will have probably been a long list of things) that will happen will be a weapon coming out and getting pointed at someone. In that case it will probably be a relatively close distance from me to them, and I want the brightest light I can get to blind them and hopefully foul up their target acquisition abilities long enough for me to tactically retreat (read: run, whimpering, like a bitch into the night) or give me the split second to reduce the threat before he can launch an effective attack.

That all said, if its summertime, and Im rocking flipflops shorts and a t-shirt during the day... the light is coming off so its less to print. If the girlfriend and I are out getting into something, Im usually carrying a backpack that no one would look twice at that wasnt a Goonies fan (ancient yellow Northface pack) and the light is usually stowed in there.
    You lost me at flipflops! :mamoru:

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    You lost me at flipflops! :mamoru:

But what if they are multicam?
    y3asamyd.jpg

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    My official position is this:
    If you are by a pool or beach or walking the deck of a cruise ship, then :thumbsup:
    If you are washing the car/truck :thumbsup:
    If you are doing some sort of yardwork :thumbsup:
    If you are just laying about the house :thumbsup:
    ANY other scenario :nono:

:rofl:

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    As a point of personal pride, I dont own a single stitch of multicam. lol @ those multicam flippies though. wow. the "tactical" craze went and dug itself a nice, deep retard hole a few years ago, and, bless their hearts, they just keep digging.

I cant imagine a world without flipflops. Nor do I want to. :D

LPS

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    Port Vincent, Louisiana
    I think the conclusion I have come to is what you said NOLA shootist I tried carring my g19 with the light in shorts an at shirt but it imprints way to much I think in the winter time it will be ok but I'll have to see as for right now with the weather being as hot as it is I'm just gonna be without the light unless I can come up with a better way to conceal it

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    I know its blasphemous, but, this time of year, I groan when I have to strap on the ole roscoe and leave the house.

I find myself whining in a valley girl sorority pitched voice in my head, "ugh, its so hot and like, im gonna be all sweaty. ew. gonna have to lube the gun when I get home so she doesnt rust. lube...lol. but, seriously, f this heat. ugh. moving to alaska."

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I don't clear my yard using a gun if someone is in my yard I send my wife to check it or call the cops,

Just noticing this. lmao

My official position is this:
    If you are by a pool or beach or walking the deck of a cruise ship, then :thumbsup:
    If you are washing the car/truck :thumbsup:
    If you are doing some sort of yardwork :thumbsup:
    If you are just laying about the house :thumbsup:
    ANY other scenario :nono:

:rofl:

What about throwing on the crocs to make a quick trip to Rouses?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom