Gunfighter I training with the Advantage Group

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPS

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    Port Vincent, Louisiana
    Just finished up Advantage Groups Gunfighter I course today and I can tell you I was truly impressed with the way Nate handled the class. If you were ever thinking of taking a intro pistol class for defense this is the one to go to. The class was easy and laid back I was expecting someone screaming at you the whole time but this was not the case if he saw you doing something wrong he corrected with you on a personal level. This was my first ( and for sure not my last) training course outside of the CCW class and it was worth every penny. I would have never learned about this class if it wasn't for the great people on this website so I say thank you fellow bayou shooters, and also thank you again Nate for the great training you held today.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I've had the honor of taking GFI with Trent well over a year ago. Like you, it was the first training other than my CCW class. I was very impressed with the way he went above and beyond to ensure every person in the class received the help that they needed. To the point to were he stopped the line to properly instruct someone who needs the extra instructions. That really impressed me. Unfortunately, family obligations has kept me away from any other classes since then. Before the class I thought I had a decent handle on shooting a pistol. I did, but I learned quickly that I still have a ways to go. Even though I haven't been in another class since then, I've put into practice the different "tricks" learned in GF1 when I do make it on the range and it has inproved my skills exponentially. Hopefully things will settle down soon and I'm able to make it back to another class with Advantage an can maybe learn a thing or twelve from the famed Vanilla Gorilla. I would like to expand on my homegrown rifle skills with the best best of them!

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Now if we can only get VG to consider running for Senate ? Governor ?
    Doesn't matter to me, just pick one !

Will never, not ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Just finished up Advantage Groups Gunfighter I course today and I can tell you I was truly impressed with the way Nate handled the class. If you were ever thinking of taking a intro pistol class for defense this is the one to go to. The class was easy and laid back I was expecting someone screaming at you the whole time but this was not the case if he saw you doing something wrong he corrected with you on a personal level. This was my first ( and for sure not my last) training course outside of the CCW class and it was worth every penny. I would have never learned about this class if it wasn't for the great people on this website so I say thank you fellow bayou shooters, and also thank you again Nate for the great training you held today.

Thanks to everyone who took a chance with the weather and came out this weekend. It was great shooting with you all.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'd like to see some basic, morning calisthenics/stretching incorporated into the classes- just to get everyone limbered up before the training. Maybe some "power-skipping." Don't want anyone pulling a hammy.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I'd recommend OWB as well. I always use an IWB holster, but it sucks and I pay for it for a few days after. Pro-tip if you do go for IWB and have a stippled grip- wear an under shirt. I forgot that and... ouch

Good class, guys, and +1 on limbering up. I'm young and in pretty good shape, but I was cramping up a couple times when Nate gave me the pleasure of demonstrating some different positions yesterday :zombie:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Definitely OWB for your first class or two, and definitely during the summer. If you're worried about not "fighting like you train", get an OWB holster that mimics your carry holster and location as much as possible (ie not a whiz-bang competiton holster) and you're not losing much.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I'd like to see some basic, morning calisthenics/stretching incorporated into the classes- just to get everyone limbered up before the training. Maybe some "power-skipping." Don't want anyone pulling a hammy.

No need! I show up ready, even with extra carbs for the day. See below:

a2gvx12zyfqyrddxg22z.jpg

Definitely OWB for your first class or two, and definitely during the summer. If you're worried about not "fighting like you train", get an OWB holster that mimics your carry holster and location as much as possible (ie not a whiz-bang competiton holster) and you're not losing much.

Great idea!

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    If you're worried about not "fighting like you train", get an OWB holster that mimics your carry holster and location as much as possible and you're not losing much.

Not sure if it was you that gave me this advice or not but it has helped me a LOT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom