I was mugged at gun point Thursday. Be aware.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ronin1000

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    For all of the people that carry concealed, I wanted to let you know what happened to me and remind you to be aware of what’s going on around you at ALL TIMES. My girlfriend and I were coming home from picking up some Taco Bell last Thursday night and were getting home at around 10:15pm. I didn’t notice but there was a car driving down my street slowly. My girlfriend and I were clowning around when getting out of the car and taking our time when it happened. A man came from around the side of a bush with a gun drawn yelling for us to give him money. When I had seen him, he was about 3 feet away and already had his pistol drawn and pointed at my girlfriends head. While standing next to her at gun point, he told me that he wanted my wallet, so I gave it to him. The whole time, I had my hand in my pocket with my LC9 in my hand. I was scared to pull and fire because he was so close to her, I didn’t want to take the chance if him hitting her while I was firing at him. He then held the gun on me and walked around the car to come up to me. He told me to turn around and put my hands behind my back. I dumped what was in my hands onto my car and did what he said. He shoved the gun into my back and started going into my pockets. When he got to the pocket with the pistol, he freaked out and started pointing it at me and asking what was I going to do with it. I told him that it was his and I wasn’t going to do anything. I asked him to leave. He started to run off and then told us to go into the house. My girlfriend ran to the door and I waited for her. Then I paused to see where he was going and how he was going to run. He then started shooting in the air so I ducked into the house and grabbed my AR-15 to see if I could talk to him about what happened. By the time I made it in the house and back out, he was long gone. He took my pistol, wallet and about 6 credit cards. The police did a wonderful job and came out very fast. I was very happy about that.
    I guess my point is that everyone needs to pay attention to what’s going on around them. Some crooks are getting BOLD and the situation was exactly what I was told it would be like in my CC class. If I would have paid better attention to the car parked in the street doing nothing, I could confronted him while he was still 20 feet away, but I slipped up and it cost me. If you get shocked and caught off guard, keep calm and don’t panic. It’s better to live to fight another day.
    I just wanted to share so others that have been carrying for years like I had been, would remember to stay on guard. It is a hard thing to do when a guy has a gun jammed in your back and you are wondering if it is going to hurt when he shoots you and if you will still be able to fight with him to give your girlfriend the time she needs to make it to safety.
    Thank you for your time and sorry it was so long.

ronin1000

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    It was in the driveway of my house at 10:15pm. I live just off of the corner of O' Neal and Old Hammond Hwy. I tracked him going down Sherwood Forest towards S. Choctaw.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Wow -- glad you and the GF are okay, that's priority #1. After you did the "wrong" thing, You did the right thing! Great write up to keep us on our toes!
    In this screwed up world we live in, situational awareness CANNOT be compromised.

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    First of all, glad you and your girlfriend are ok. From the way it sounds, even if you were suspicious of the car in the road, you may not have had time to react to the guy behind the bushes if he already had his weapon pulled and was running to you. So besides not going home till the vehicle left, what different would you have done?

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Damn, glad you're ok. Sounds like a horrible situation. I'd have to agree with the above, even if you had worried about the car in the first place, you probably would have kept most of your attention on it after a quick scan around. Sounds like a bold idiot, glad your gun didn't **** him off too badly.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Scary stuff man... Glad you and your girlfriend made it out ok. Do you think the guy would have still found your weapon had it been in an IWB holster? Just curious because I'm bad about grabbing my bodyguard and tossing it in my pocket to run to Dollar Store real quick.

ronin1000

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Well, I think that the guy started out from inside of the car that was on the street and came up to behind the bush. The biggest problem is that I was not paying attention. I was driving to Natchez that morning and found a truck that looked like it had flipped over so I pulled over to see if I could help. There was no one in the truck when I got to it but there were 4 people standing around watching. I asked them where the driver was and if he was ok and they told me that he was under the truck. I killed the motor and found the guy with the side of his head under the front right wheel. After that, I found a jack and some wood to try and get the truck off of the guy and try to save him or at least be ready for when EMS got on there. I decided not to try and lift the truck because of where it was located and I watched him die.
    So after that in the morning, my brain was turned off.
    To answer your question, if I had to change anything (and no one tell my girlfriend I said this) would be to listen to her when she points out cars creeping around the street in front of my house. I would have drawn my attention to it and not spent so much time with unknown people around. I am also installing new lights to cover that dark area and I cut half of that dam tree down. That dam shrub tree got :owned:

ronin1000

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I do not think that he would have found it. That was one of the first things I said about it to a friend of mine. It has been hard to carry IWB because I got FAT, so I am going to start running to make room for my next pistol. I will be carrying an XDS-45 next. The extra power would have changed my thoughts on how fast I could have taken him down.

ronin1000

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Damn, glad you're ok. Sounds like a horrible situation. I'd have to agree with the above, even if you had worried about the car in the first place, you probably would have kept most of your attention on it after a quick scan around. Sounds like a bold idiot, glad your gun didn't **** him off too badly.

Ya, me to. I was really thinking to myself "is it going to hurt when he shoots me" and then that I was going to have to fist fight this guy with a gunshot to make sure that my girlfriend could make it inside safe.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I would be really pissed in your situation that I couldn't put more holes in that POS!!! Yall are ok; that's really the most important thing. I was wondering about the holster situation also. I'm assuming your GF wasn't carrying? Hopefully that changes now. Also a reason I have NO plants or bushes in my yard; clear shooting lanes and fewer hiding places. . Even if your fat you can still carry IWB strong side. I wouldn't hesitate shooting a 9mm over a .45 either. If I was concerned about the caliber I was carrying, I wouldn't carry it in the first place.

Last edited:

ronin1000

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I Even if your fat you can still carry IWB strong side. I wouldn't hesitate shooting a 9mm over a .45 either. If I was concerned about the caliber I was carrying, I wouldn't carry it in the first place.

The problem is that my slacks fit kind of snug so when I try to carry IWB, it's tight (not that it's going to matter anymore. I will live with it.) and that's why I was holding in my front pocket.
    As for my worry about the caliber, in most cases, I would not have a problem with a 9mm. The problem is that, with him being that close to her, I didn't want to take a shot unless I knew I could put him down and very fast. I have seen to many protection videos where a "POS" gets shot a few times with a 9mm and runs off. The time where he could have ran, he could have shot her.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have seen to many protection videos where a "POS" gets shot a few times with a 9mm and runs off. The time where he could have ran, he could have shot her.

First glad both of you were not harmed. Educate yourself about firearms and ammunition. There is go guarantee you will have a 1 shot stop with any handgun and the facts are your results could be the same with any of the common handgun calibers 9/.40/.357S/.45G/.45ACP. Many knowledgeable shooters today prefer more rounds to larger caliber. Quality pistol and Quality ammunition.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I feel your pain, it is a terrible felling having an angry person say they will kill you while at gunpoint. I know what it feels like to think you will be shot at any second, and it is terrible. For me, it sunk in real fast that earlier in the evening was the last time my kids would see me alive. You and her walked away unharmed, so you did everything right. Take some time to digest it and think it over, and learn everything you can form the experience.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Ronin1000, thanks for posting this. This is a very good opertunity to bring up some points most EDCers dont think about until something messed up happens to them. I apreciate your courage posting this, as I am sure you will catch some heat, from me included; however, none of this is personal. This is not ment to be personal but it will be to you. I hope you can look past that and take something away from this post that wil serve you well next time.

When faced with a violent threat, if you are thining about anything other than how you are going to ELIMINATE THE THREAT you are setting yourself up to loose. When you walk out the door armed, you should be in CONDITION YELLOW until you return back to a safe and secure location. Your situational awareness should be turned up to a 10, especially if you have loved ones with you. Your OODA Loop should be running constantly. Mental toughness is paramount. I have resopnded to hundreds, if not thousands of gun calls in my time as a LEO. Never once did i think about how it would feel to get shot while I was on my way. I was mentally preparing to win whatever confrontation was about to kick off. I doubt DevGru was thinking about what it would feel like to get shot en route to the Bin Laden raid.

Your family should have an escape plan. Your significant other should know what you want her to do in a situation involving a violent confrontation when you are armed. Flee, Cover, Whatever... Have a plan.

Physical surrender while armed is almost always the worst thing you could do. I honestly have know clue how you made it out of this uninjured. Most do not.

Seems to me from reading your post, had you been a little better mentally prepared, and your GF knew how to react in situations such as these you could have effectivly engaged the threat while he transitioned from your GF to you around the car, had she fled or sought cover and you moved and engaged the threat.

I would suggest a few things.

First read Pat McNamara's book Sentinal. It is a good detailed read that covers what I expalined and more. These ideas are not unique to me or him, but he did a great job of condensing it and making it a fun read. These are ideas the military community has espoused effectivly for a long time.

TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN. Take a force on force sim class. Find a place to do some shoot on the move/CQC drills. Practice draws and engagements from compromised positions. TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN.

Mental toughness.... Only you knows what will work for you on this. Read up on the OODA loop and the like. Mental toughness is what will carry you through. Tactical daydreams, KIM games, and other exceercises can help you with situational awareness.

Again, none of this is personal and please dont take it as such. This is a prime learning opportunity. If this thread can help one person tune their game up just enough to save their ass in the futher its all good. Thanks for sharing your experience and glad it worked out the best it could for you.

The OODA Loop

Color Code of Mental Awareness

Pat McNamara's Sentinel on Amazon

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm glad you both are ok.

Well, I think that the guy started out from inside of the car that was on the street and came up to behind the bush. The biggest problem is that I was not paying attention. I was driving to Natchez that morning and found a truck that looked like it had flipped over so I pulled over to see if I could help. There was no one in the truck when I got to it but there were 4 people standing around watching. I asked them where the driver was and if he was ok and they told me that he was under the truck. I killed the motor and found the guy with the side of his head under the front right wheel. After that, I found a jack and some wood to try and get the truck off of the guy and try to save him or at least be ready for when EMS got on there. I decided not to try and lift the truck because of where it was located and I watched him die.
    So after that in the morning, my brain was turned off.
    To answer your question, if I had to change anything (and no one tell my girlfriend I said this) would be to listen to her when she points out cars creeping around the street in front of my house. I would have drawn my attention to it and not spent so much time with unknown people around. I am also installing new lights to cover that dark area and I cut half of that dam tree down. That dam shrub tree got :owned:

The guys I've dated have always pointed out that I do this too. I can't help it that I'm observant/paranoid ;)

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    If the guy has your ID with your address and information on it, be careful. Some of these thugs will map your address and go for a second strike. So get your guns ready or move out of that area. Always be prepared.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^^^+1 he knows you carry a weapon. He may come back to see what new toy you bought, not to mention what you might have inside. And this time he may bring friends.
    Now's the time to invest in that alarm system/gun safe/ install security cameras/ call 'rent-a-Rott'... a barking dog in the yard, or even in the hosue, might have scared him off.
    I'm just glad it worked out ok.

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Or just install a GPS chip in your wallet for the next time he does it, then track him and assassinate him so he can't do it a third time and you'll never have to worry about him again. Do it with a knife or a garrote too, so the anti-gun nazis don't use this as an excuse to get all riled up.

I know, I'm a terrible person for joking in a time like this, sorry...but yeah, that situation bites, sorry to hear about this. :(

The worst part is the idiots that do this stuff are just wanting the twenty bucks in your pockets and a lot of them just don't care about and/or don't understand all the psychological damage they're causing in the process.

Top Bottom