I was mugged at gun point Thursday. Be aware.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Since you lost the element of surprise, and were not able to fight your way out, you did the right thing.
    Had you been alert, you could have drawn your firearm and challenged the trespasser that was on your property. If this happens again, you can pay it forward by pointing your gun at the next perp that enters your property. I have never seen the same trespasser twice anywhere I have lived.

ronin1000

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    First glad both of you were not harmed. Educate yourself about firearms and ammunition. There is go guarantee you will have a 1 shot stop with any handgun and the facts are your results could be the same with any of the common handgun calibers 9/.40/.357S/.45G/.45ACP. Many knowledgeable shooters today prefer more rounds to larger caliber. Quality pistol and Quality ammunition.

My pistol was loaded with Hornady critical defense, as is all of my PP handguns. I have just seen to many videos online of a person shooting a mugger with a 9mm and them running away. My fear was that if he could run, he could shoot her. Plus, with being only 2 feet away, the chance was to high that he could have hit her. So I do my homework and purchase good firearms, but the only thing that I would shot him with when he was that close to her would have been a Barrett 50 cal. That would have stopped him, but I can't fit one in my pocket. LOL

ronin1000

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ronin1000, thanks for posting this. This is a very good opertunity to bring up some points most EDCers dont think about until something messed up happens to them. I apreciate your courage posting this, as I am sure you will catch some heat, from me included; however, none of this is personal. This is not ment to be personal but it will be to you. I hope you can look past that and take something away from this post that wil serve you well next time.

You will not get any static from me. As for prep and what we should have done, I have went through over 100 things that I could have done differently, but I didn’t. I was too focused on getting a clean pistol shot off at him and now how we were all going to move around. Also, my girlfriend was not armed. I fear that she would not be able to truly pull the trigger if she needed to and the gun would then only make things worse. But she kept calm and didn’t freak out, that was all that I could have asked for.
    As for not getting shot, I was kind of shocked myself. My girlfriend says that I was being watched over by a guy that I had never known before that day. I stopped at an accident on the side of the highway where a guy was ejected from his truck. While everyone was watching, I started taking actions to try and save the guys life, but he passed away before I could get him free from under the trucks tire. Maybe the karma from me trying to help that guy kept us both alive and unharmed that night. FYI: Both things happened exactly 12 hours apart from each other.
    As for training, I have ran a bunch of different simulations in the past, but I have never done any with my girlfriend involved. That will change from now on. She will be involved in them. I have always said that the injection of her in the situation was what kept that guy alive.

ronin1000

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    ^^^+1 he knows you carry a weapon. He may come back to see what new toy you bought, not to mention what you might have inside. And this time he may bring friends.
    Now's the time to invest in that alarm system/gun safe/ install security cameras/ call 'rent-a-Rott'... a barking dog in the yard, or even in the hosue, might have scared him off.
    I'm just glad it worked out ok.

My girl hates this but I am kind of hoping that he does come back, he will see what new toy I got with all 7 .45 holes at a time. We also installed some new lights to brighten up the dark spot he came from and all firing lines have been trimmed with no more hiding spots. As for the Rot, I have 2 Pits that run the house during the day. I already have CCTV at the house, the video was down due to a bad line. I didn’t know this at the time of the attack. Plus I am getting my safe this weekend.

ronin1000

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Since you lost the element of surprise, and were not able to fight your way out, you did the right thing.
    Had you been alert, you could have drawn your firearm and challenged the trespasser that was on your property. If this happens again, you can pay it forward by pointing your gun at the next perp that enters your property. I have never seen the same trespasser twice anywhere I have lived.

I will defiantly be more ready to draw faster. The thing that I have been trying to train myself mentally is to make sure that I don’t draw down or shoot someone because they are trying to sell something from door to door or something dumb like that. I really thought that it may have just have been one of my next door neighbor, until it was too late.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    You will not get any static from me. As for prep and what we should have done, I have went through over 100 things that I could have done differently, but I didn’t. I was too focused on getting a clean pistol shot off at him and now how we were all going to move around. Also, my girlfriend was not armed. I fear that she would not be able to truly pull the trigger if she needed to and the gun would then only make things worse. But she kept calm and didn’t freak out, that was all that I could have asked for.
    As for not getting shot, I was kind of shocked myself. My girlfriend says that I was being watched over by a guy that I had never known before that day. I stopped at an accident on the side of the highway where a guy was ejected from his truck. While everyone was watching, I started taking actions to try and save the guys life, but he passed away before I could get him free from under the trucks tire. Maybe the karma from me trying to help that guy kept us both alive and unharmed that night. FYI: Both things happened exactly 12 hours apart from each other.
    As for training, I have ran a bunch of different simulations in the past, but I have never done any with my girlfriend involved. That will change from now on. She will be involved in them. I have always said that the injection of her in the situation was what kept that guy alive.

here's how I summarize this:

You forfeit 80% of the fight with poor situational awareness. Learning point. However, note that 80 isn't = to 100.

You can't draw faster than he can pull the trigger once he's got the draw, but don't dwell on the idea of demanding a 1 shot kill. If you're going to yank the bangswitch, repeat until threat is thoroughly removed. You're in as much legal snaggle for 1 bullet as you are 10- don't take chances. I'm reminded of a texas case where a waitress was attacked from behind and she killed the guy. DA asks "why'd you need to fire 7 rounds?" - she says "I thought I was going to die. I pulled the trigger until it stopped going bang." - Case Dismissed, Self Defense.

It's a gun forum, so you're going to get some "rambo the F up" - but we weren't there. it's awful hard to draw from a pocket (period), let alone when someone has a barrel inches from your significant others' face- so keep advice here in perspective. The key learning point I'd take away is being aware of the surroundings. If you'd had your hand on the gun before/as he made his approach - very different situation.

My question is, in your opinion, would a different style of carry have afforded you any additional advantages?

afterthoughts:

I can't +1 ta2d's recommendation on sim training enough. It's a whole other world when the target shoots back, and pain is the teacher.

also, I'm stunned that you didn't get hurt here, and thank God for it. My thoughts are: I don't surrender. He might shoot me while I'm shooting back, but if I surrender me and my family are at his will. (im not wording this as well as I'd like, im on a heated conference call... use deductive reasoning about F that guy and I'm going to win) it's a mindset thing, but that takes individual soul searching and an internet post isn't going to thrust you into a paradigm shift. Do some reading and consider it for yourself.

one more: it takes huge guts to post this online. I suspect it happens more than we see, but people don't like to publicize that they didn't get to clint eastwood it all out. Much respect, and I hope others learn from this.

Last edited:

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    #1 I'm glad you two are both OK!

#2 I can't help but wonder if he wasn't alone in that car and maybe had "help" and if so what would have happened had you got shots off???

#3 I'm glad you two are both OK!!!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The most important thing RIGHT NOW is that both you and your girlfriend are unscathed. I would like to commend you for having the courage to tell us about this- it gives everyone the opportunity to learn from it, including yourself.

I know you are angry about what happened. Any of us would be. Use that as motivation.

Broke

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My girl hates this but I am kind of hoping that he does come back, he will see what new toy I got with all 7 .45 holes at a time. We also installed some new lights to brighten up the dark spot he came from and all firing lines have been trimmed with no more hiding spots. As for the Rot, I have 2 Pits that run the house during the day. I already have CCTV at the house, the video was down due to a bad line. I didn’t know this at the time of the attack. Plus I am getting my safe this weekend.

I understand you're trying to be a man in a bad situation but I don't think I would really want him coming back around if I were you. You lived through this one, so don't try your luck twice.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    #1 I'm glad you two are both OK!

#2 I can't help but wonder if he wasn't alone in that car and maybe had "help" and if so what would have happened had you got shots off???

#3 I'm glad you two are both OK!!!
    #2 is what is really making me rethink the need for extra mags. I never carried spares before, but I will now.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Yeah, and he could have gotten his gun taken away from him oc'ing just like he did.

OP, you made a decision not to fight and allow yourself to be disarmed. You're lucky you're here to tell this story. Change your ways and prepare yourself to ensure this never happens again. If it does happen again, buy lottery tickets...

Bro, if that dude had seen his LC9 in a Serpa, he would have known this dude was trained and probably walked on by.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    In today's climate of off the charts indiscriminate shootings, much of them boiling down to some ******** emotion of disrespect, you would have to really believe that you are likely to be shot in this type of hold up. Particularly after the criminal discovers a hidden gun on you after he demanded all your stuff.

The gun to the girlfriends head is a game changer when planning a valiant stand; but any opportunity to put him down would have been nice to achieve. However, the previous sentiments that you made it out unscathed is more important!

Judge Mental

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Prairieville
    If robbery is the motive, with your weapon concealed, the BG has to speculate on what his haul will be from your watch/wallet/etc. With a weapon exposed on your hip, he knows what he'll get. A weapon he can sell for more than you would believe, or more likely, a tool for committing more robberies. OC is dumb

ronin1000

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If robbery is the motive, with your weapon concealed, the BG has to speculate on what his haul will be from your watch/wallet/etc. With a weapon exposed on your hip, he knows what he'll get. A weapon he can sell for more than you would believe, or more likely, a tool for committing more robberies. OC is dumb

I agree with that fully. When he came from the shadows, he wouldn't have known if I was open carry or not until he was next to me. Then there would have been more reason for him to shoot me. I don't want to give him more reason to shoot us. If I was carrying IWB, he prob would have never found the gun. Then I may have been able to get a shot off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom