Octane 45

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    Gentlemen,

I've entered into the world of NFA items finally. JCcypress was a great help and I highly recommend him to anyone doing a trust. It couldn't have been more painless and easy. If I would have known how easy it was to set up a trust and buy a silencer, I'd have done this long time ago.

I'm now waiting on my new Octane 45HD to clear NFA jail. Since my family is about to grow by 1 any day now, I'm hoping the wait won't be so bad being distracted by the baby.

Does anyone have any good advice or do's & don'ts for this particular suppressor? Is it worth it to try to track down a 9mm end cap for it? Has anyone had issues with shooting supersonic 9mm through the can and it being hearing safe? I reload so making subsonic 9 isn't a problem, just curious about the supersonic 124gr stuff.

Any recommendations on proper cleaning of the baffles? Any issues cleaning it after shooting 22lr through it?

TIA

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I love my Octane. The 9mm endcap is sweet. Just make sure your setup that you are running it on is cocentric if not you will be the first to know. Yep Ive had about 3 endcap strikes on the 9mm cap but no big deal SiCo took care of it no questions asked. I also have fired a handful of 22lr through it. It helps quiet it down but its more of a deeper tone to me than my warlock in 22. I suggest getting a rimfire can or 2!

No issues shooting supersonics. Its not as quiet as expected but its still a blast. With subs and a 9mm endcap its a blast. Marginally louder than my warlock with subs.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I also got an email from Silencerco stating that Silencershop is no longer going to selling Silencerco products. Not sure what happened but they were the exclusive dealer for the 9mm endcaps. Itll be interesting to see where to buy one from now.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    I suggest getting a rimfire can or 2!

After I left the dealers store, I thought the same thing. If I'm gonna be waiting on one, waiting on two would just make it less painful down the road. The only problem is then I'd need additional 22 hosts, nothing I have currently is threaded, and I can only push my luck so far. I hear diapers get pricey. :)

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    I wouldn't worry about buying 9mm end cap for the .45. There is a slightly different tone, but you'll prob experience more problems than it's worth. The last half baffle gets stuck in it if you don't disassemble while hot and like many others are reporting it appears rounds are kissing the endcap and they don't on the same hosts with my octane 9 so I know the barrels are concentric.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I love my Octaine 45. I use it a lot on my GSG 522 and mainly on my G17. Supersonic does a little crack to it but not too bad. I've had end cap strikes too when using the 9mm end cap.
    Yeah, diapers get expensive.

Vas te faire encule Isis. Nous sommes Unis

Last edited:

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    I also got an email from Silencerco stating that Silencershop is no longer going to selling Silencerco products. Not sure what happened but they were the exclusive dealer for the 9mm endcaps. Itll be interesting to see where to buy one from now.

silencershop was selling lower than other dealers could buy wholesale for. CN: silencershop pissed off silencerco, and OSS and Knights, and lots of other MFGs.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    So how were they selling so low? Were the getting a better price than other dealers due to volume? if they all buy at the same wholesale price then how did SilencerShop stay in business?

For the OP I have only shot 45 through my octane so far and love it. Just put in a new Storm Lake threaded barrel in my S&W M&P9FS that I can't wait to shoot.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    So how were they selling so low? Were the getting a better price than other dealers due to volume? if they all buy at the same wholesale price then how did SilencerShop stay in business?

For the OP I have only shot 45 through my octane so far and love it. Just put in a new Storm Lake threaded barrel in my S&W M&P9FS that I can't wait to shoot.

I believe some dealers get better pricing due to volume purchased. I got an Octane 9 on sale earlier this year for $379 (store had over 30 in stock) and the dealer I had it sent to said that it was $100+ lower than his wholesale price. I have a Storm Lake TB on my MP9L and it is nice shooting 147gr 9mm.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I believe some dealers get better pricing due to volume purchased. I got an Octane 9 on sale earlier this year for $379 (store had over 30 in stock) and the dealer I had it sent to said that it was $100+ lower than his wholesale price. I have a Storm Lake TB on my MP9L and it is nice shooting 147gr 9mm.

If SilencerCo is mad that they gave volume pricing to Silencer Shop and then they turned around and sold them for less than others paid how is that wrong? That is capitalism in action. Is everyone mad at Walmart for their pricing because they have more purchasing power and can offer lower prices. If they are that offended by it then don't offer high volume pricing and it won't happen. Don't get butt hurt.

I don't think I have any 147gr rounds but I will hopefully be shooting the crap out of some WWB 9mm. I am loving the no earplug shooting life. Now I just need to get my S&W 15-22 threaded.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Gentlemen,

I've entered into the world of NFA items finally. JCcypress was a great help and I highly recommend him to anyone doing a trust. It couldn't have been more painless and easy. If I would have known how easy it was to set up a trust and buy a silencer, I'd have done this long time ago.

I'm now waiting on my new Octane 45HD to clear NFA jail. Since my family is about to grow by 1 any day now, I'm hoping the wait won't be so bad being distracted by the baby.

Does anyone have any good advice or do's & don'ts for this particular suppressor? Is it worth it to try to track down a 9mm end cap for it? Has anyone had issues with shooting supersonic 9mm through the can and it being hearing safe? I reload so making subsonic 9 isn't a problem, just curious about the supersonic 124gr stuff.

Any recommendations on proper cleaning of the baffles? Any issues cleaning it after shooting 22lr through it?

TIA

Glad to hear everything worked out! Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in the future.

Thanks again!

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    If SilencerCo is mad that they gave volume pricing to Silencer Shop and then they turned around and sold them for less than others paid how is that wrong? That is capitalism in action. Is everyone mad at Walmart for their pricing because they have more purchasing power and can offer lower prices. If they are that offended by it then don't offer high volume pricing and it won't happen. Don't get butt hurt.

I don't think I have any 147gr rounds but I will hopefully be shooting the crap out of some WWB 9mm. I am loving the no earplug shooting life. Now I just need to get my S&W 15-22 threaded.

Dealers sign a MAP agreement with SiCo, just like they do with Sig, Glock, etc.

Sell below MAP without permission or a special sale, lose the product line.

simple

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA

simple

Well then I guess Silencer Shop screwed the pooch. I really like the SiCo suppressors.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette

simple

This is some of it but silencershop was supposed to become a Distributor just like M3 did back in the day. All would have been fine but they started basically selling direct to consumers using their silencershop direct deal. They ended up pissing off all the other distributors and that was what I believe finally did it. They were getting distributor pricing and selling direct to consumers.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Does anyone have any experience shooting 44 mag (single shot rifle) through the Octane?

I don't see any caliber ratings for the Octane on the Silencer Co website. They may not do that like they do for the rifle suppressors. you may want to call them and check.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Does anyone have any experience shooting 44 mag (single shot rifle) through the Octane?

I hqve not tbrough mine, but i believe it is rated for 44mag but with a barrel length restriction. Same goes for 357mag.

Update apparently someone wrote to SiCo and asked:http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=433472

Heres a vid too.
    [video]https://youtu.be/oHngMmpPP6I[/video]

Ive also had a couple 9mm caps dinged. One time because my buddy let it walk loose on my G19 w sico barrel, next was my masterpiece arms 930sst barrel's threads weren't cocentric. Also per SiCo the pretty much recommended using the 45 endcap when using it with the 3 lug qd set up to avoid endcap strikes due to slight wobble on the tolerances.

Last edited:

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    I hqve not tbrough mine, but i believe it is rated for 44mag but with a barrel length restriction. Same goes for 357mag.

Update apparently someone wrote to SiCo and asked:http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=433472

Heres a vid too.
    [video]https://youtu.be/oHngMmpPP6I[/video]

Ive also had a couple 9mm caps dinged. One time because my buddy let it walk loose on my G19 w sico barrel, next was my masterpiece arms 930sst barrel's threads weren't cocentric. Also per SiCo the pretty much recommended using the 45 endcap when using it with the 3 lug qd set up to avoid endcap strikes due to slight wobble on the tolerances.

I will echo to not use the 9mm endcaps with the 3 lug mounts. you will roach the endcap. Otherwise, the octane45hd is the only can that i own more than one of. :-)

As for larger stuff. I've shot .45LC out of mine.. BIG high pressure buffalo bore loads too. No issues with the octane.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    osprey isnt as quiet until you wet it. Osprey does not have interchangeable end caps. Osprey is not user serviceable. IMO Osprey is more form than function. the octane is function over form.

That being said - i also own an osprey. If i'm choosing one, it's the octane.

Top Bottom