Flooded out roll call

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    We lost the house to several feet of water. Managed to get the vitals out before the waters came in but still the house will be a total loss. Fortunately we have flood insurance on it and family close by with room for us. I will say this though: a man, a woman, a 7 lb minpin and a 50 lb pitbull do not fit well together on a twin bed.

Who else became victims of the flood?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I'm good no water at my place just got locked in with flooded roads around. Been listening to LP and EBR they are still getting calls to come get people.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    We were high and dry, but my friends and family weren't so fortunate.

I have family in Lafayette that took on several feet. Some friends up Lee Rd in Covington had to evacuate by boat. They didn't get water in the house but it rose nearly 12 feet to the front door step. Another friend in Hammond took on 13" of water and lost a good bit.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    I'm not quite sure yet. The house is off Comit drive. I'm really hoping the cat is OK. So long as the house didn't go all the way under he should be OK. Didn't have a carrier for him. Still working On a route to drive there.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    My house in Hammond faired out okay -- water came up but did not get in house. BTW, a few feet of water in the house is repairable, my best friend's house took about a 1' or so during Isaac. The key is to get the wet stuff out as fast as you can, if you still have power, let your AC run on the coldest setting. We cut all the sheetrock 24" above floor, we were fortunate that it did not get to the electrical.

AND if you hire a contractor to do your repairs:
    Do NOT tell the contractor what your insurance settlement (if you had flood insurance) was. Make sure you get a FIRM FIXED PRICE for the work to be accomplished and a CONTRACT to do the work WITH a Not to Exceed completion Date!!! I'd even have the contract notarized. If the contractor will not give you this, move on. DO NOT get into a "Time & Materials" contract as you will get burned. Make sure the contractor is licensed, insured and bonded!!

Good luck my BS friends.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    AND if you hire a contractor to do your repairs:
    Do NOT tell the contractor what your insurance settlement (if you had flood insurance) was. Make sure you get a FIRM FIXED PRICE for the work to be accomplished and a CONTRACT to do the work WITH a Not to Exceed completion Date!!! I'd even have the contract notarized. If the contractor will not give you this, move on. DO NOT get into a "Time & Materials" contract as you will get burned. Make sure the contractor is licensed, insured and bonded!!

This x1,000,000

Nothing annoys me more than a contractor who doesn't do what he/she was asked and contracted for.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    Right now I am sitting in Slidell at a La Quinta inn man this sucks! Second time fist time with Katrina in Picayune now with this.
    One room with 4 dogs love it LOL
    Wingate

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My father in law was flooded out along with other family members. Me and my wife will be heading to Br in the middle of the week. We will go through our house and grab any extra blankets and clothes we have, is there anything else people need? Where do you deliver it? Is there a Red Cross station? If anyone else in the NOLA area wants us to donate anything else just let me know. So long as it fits in my escalade or my wife's SUV, we will bring it up and drop it off.

rocko

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    Greenwell Springs (Central)
    We lost the house to several feet of water. Managed to get the vitals out before the waters came in but still the house will be a total loss. Fortunately we have flood insurance on it and family close by with room for us. I will say this though: a man, a woman, a 7 lb minpin and a 50 lb pitbull do not fit well together on a twin bed.

Who else became victims of the flood?

8' water in house, water in business and 7 vehicles under water.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    I actually got back from my house amazingly enough the river dropped and for the most part it was 80% dry Drive funny considering I live next to the comite river found out the house got about 4ft-5ft inside. Floating everything inside to a new random location had to break in through a window. One thing that I appreciate most is the amount of members on this board willing to drive me to my house even though I'm a perfect stranger I would like to thank the people that offered me a ride. Also no safe is waterproof. Glad I moved Firearms to Higher Ground

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Also no safe is waterproof. Glad I moved Firearms to Higher Ground

Sorry to hear about your loss. As long as you and your family are safe, that's all that matters.

To add to the part about the safe, it's surprising what water can move. Bolting a safe down could also mean not having the safe float away.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom