Flooded out roll call

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    I am fortunate in having never flooded or had any major disaster hit. I feel for those that are going through the worst of times and hope all works out in the end.

However I must ask about some above postings, re: large coke bottles.
    1. Would not plastic gallon milk jugs with screw on caps work just as well and would hold more ammo?
    2. Does it flood often enough that you guys keep your ammo in these bottles or do you keep them on hand for such emergencies?
    3. Why not just put the ammo in the attic in whatever type containers they are in at present?

i do not trust milk type jugs(1 gal water jugs). too thin and it seems like they crack after a while no matter where you store them.

i had to transfer ammo cans full of ammo a few years ago when the river was so high. never again. i don't want to worry about ammo in times like that.

attic? humidity, heat, no ac. i won't. i rather my ammo in coke bottles under water. cooler. plus i see some attics could have had water. i would put guns up there with those vacuum bags. i did put guns up there wrapped in wool blankets and hopped for the best last time.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Got 4' in the house and about 7.5 in the shed. Was able to get the wife and kids out safely before it came in the house. Lost 3 vehicles, utv, golf cart, lawn mower. Tractor went completly under but seems its gonna make it. Drug it on a trailer and a buddy hauled it to a dealer who is flushing everything for me. Have a bunch of tools that went under. Will try and dry them out hopefully some of them survive. The house had water inside for 3 days so alot of our houshold items are done. Been salvaging what we can but as of today everything that made it fit on my 14' trailer. Got the guns out of the safe before it came up unfortunatly i stacked them all on the reloading bench and the first couple rows went under. All my scopes stayed dry inside from what i can tell so far. Got all the guns cleaned up a few have some minor finish issues mainly on the ones that are coated and not blued. All my ammo cans held so my ammo was all saved. Thankfully i have flood insurance unfortunatly i dont have contents coverage but i guess it could have been worse.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I live in Watson community and stayed high & dry. We didn't realize how lucky we are until we tried to get out and realized we were on an island, couldn't go anywhere for a day or so! A cousin just a couple of miles away got 3-4' in their house -- we've been working all week on tear-out, clean-out. They'll stay with us for a while as they try to work through this disaster!

Top Bottom