Pole saw

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Anyone have experience with one? Looking for one for personal use. Figured the price of one would be cheaper than hiring someone to cut just a couple branches on some trees near my house. Trees in question are crepe myrtles and a small breed of magnolias. Total of 4-5 branches will have to be cut anywhere between 1-4 inches thick I would say.

Right now I'm looking between the electric Remington one available on Amazon for 99 or the sun Joe one also on Amazon for 70. Any experience with these ?

https://www.amazon.com/Joe-SWJ800E-...e=UTF8&qid=1477532912&sr=8-1&keywords=polesaw

https://www.amazon.com/Remington-RM...e=UTF8&qid=1477532912&sr=8-3&keywords=polesaw

From what I can tell, the Remington is more versatile since you can take the "chainsaw" off and use it by itself, but the Sun Joe is lighter weight

Last edited:

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Have all 3. Use the pole saw for things up high but limbs over 3 inches are a challenge unless they are low. A portable Sawzall is your best bet for all around use and crepe myrtles aren't that high. Get about 6 limb blades and you'll be surprised how much you can knock out. Six blades because when you get tired and let the fence pull back from the limb it will bend.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I've had the Remington for about 2 years now and I've had no issues at all. Like what was said, it's good for branches no larger than 3-4 inches diameter. Anything larger and it gets in a bind fairly easy when using the pole. I've cut larger branches with it off the pole, though.

Also, make sure you use a heavy duty extension cord (12-14 gauge) and not the skinny ones so it's getting plenty of juice and keep the chain well tightened and well oiled and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Have all 3. Use the pole saw for things up high but limbs over 3 inches are a challenge unless they are low. A portable Sawzall is your best bet for all around use and crepe myrtles aren't that high. Get about 6 limb blades and you'll be surprised how much you can knock out. Six blades because when you get tired and let the fence pull back from the limb it will bend.

Didn't wanna go the sawzall route b/c I do not want to get on a ladder. I'm not the most "centered" person and would imagine I would fall easily.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've had the Remington for about 2 years now and I've had no issues at all. Like what was said, it's good for branches no larger than 3-4 inches diameter. Anything larger and it gets in a bind fairly easy when using the pole. I've cut larger branches with it off the pole, though.

Also, make sure you use a heavy duty extension cord (12-14 gauge) and not the skinny ones so it's getting plenty of juice and keep the chain well tightened and well oiled and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to go the remington route, but at the same time, I'm worried about the weight. Looks like all the negative reviews say it's hard to handle due to how heavy it is. Hence I was looking at the Sun Joe which is significantly lighter but has somewhat sketchy quality control.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I had an electric one for a while and really put it through hell. Ended up just getting a good 2-cycle Stihl that doubles as a weed eater. Cuts bigger stuff without bogging down, not limited by the cord, and can take it to the hunting property. Works way more bettuh.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I had an electric one for a while and really put it through hell. Ended up just getting a good 2-cycle Stihl that doubles as a weed eater. Cuts bigger stuff without bogging down, not limited by the cord, and can take it to the hunting property. Works way more bettuh.

All the trees are right along the house. That's the main reason for wanting an eletric pole saw, b/c I don't want any branches touching my house and my pest control company tell me about it every time they do their quarterly checks. I shouldn't be more than 20 ft from an outlet, and I will probably use this once a year. I figured the gas ones weigh ever more than the electric, and I would have to worry about flushing the gas out of it for storage etc.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Home Depot rents them, I also rented one from grand central rental in Lakeview. After spending $65 once for a rental I went ahead and bought the gas Poulan one from Lowe's. It was about $150 and has been trouble free for 5 years now. My last house had a live oak in the backyard and the saw never hiccuped.

I recently purchased a hedge trimmer attachment for it and now it pulls double duty.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Man, don't spend excess money on this. You are overthinking this. Use this below. It has a spring loaded cutter that will take up to a 1.5 inch diameter branch. It's effortless! Go with a Fiskars! At the same Home Depot you would go to rent a gas or electric one.

iu

West

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Baton Rouge, louisiana
    I was just looking to do the same thing. Harbour freight has them for $80 I believe. I ended up going with what Emperor has pictured. Cost $15.

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using Tapatalk

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I was just looking to do the same thing. Harbour freight has them for $80 I believe. I ended up going with what Emperor has pictured. Cost $15.

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using Tapatalk

how easy was the cut though? I have elbow issues, where supporting weight isn't an issue, but reciprocating motions may. Hence the want for an electric device.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bbroussard
    Top Bottom