BayouShooter Ad Available
Velocity Shooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best all-around pistol caliber and pistol

Best all-around pistol caliber and pistol

I have put alot of thought in to this and I know it is a matter of preference for most.

I think for personal protection, hunting, and in general a "if I could only have one gun what would it's caliber be" thing I would choose the 44 Magnum.
    You can shoot low recoil 44's in it all the way up to Buffalo Bore heavy 44 mag. +P's. You can shoot shot shells in it that are as potent as a .410 shotgun.

There are alot of factors involved in a decision like this but at the top end you would want something that will stop a 2 or 4 legged beast with one shot and also hunt small game on up to the largest.

I think it's a good choice.

And I would want a Ruger SA to go with the round, for durabuility and longevity.

Be honest.

Premium Member
    One perk you missed:
    http://welldoyapunk.ytmnd.com/
    Homeslice's Youtube Channel

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." -- Albert Einstein

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1! Quickdraw22's Avatar
    This is a loaded question. For an OC or belt gun while hunting, this is a perfect gun to have. It's what I carry when I go hog hunting.

Unfortunately a .44MAG doesn't fit very well into the CCW category of firearms, therefore it can't be the best "all-around" caliber.

The Best all-around pistol caliber and pistol for CERTAIN SITUATIONS is a .44MAG. For everything else, a 9mm or .38/.357 usually fills in the voids.

DAVE
    Quote Originally Posted by LACamper View Post
    Two hispanics jump out the truck. One of them looks at me- his eyes are wide and starts screaming 'fuego! fuego!'.
    Quote Originally Posted by tunatuk View Post
    You make as much sense as a box full of $2 sandwich batteries.
    I survived the banhammer - 2011

WANT TO BUY:
    M1919 Parts Kit
    Colt Python
    Colt "Vest Pocket" 1908 .25ACP
    Ruger Vaquero and .44 Carbine
    High Standard Victor
    Mosin Nagant (The uglier the better)

Glock 19

As much as I love .45, I would have to go with 9mm because of the capacity you have in a mid size pistol.

My vote goes to smith's m&p pro in 9mm. 17 rd magazines. Ill take 17 rds of 9mm over 6 rds of .44 magnum any day.

A caliber war and which gun manufacturer is better all in one thread.

Awesomeness.
    I'll cut you, Homes!

enthusiast
    someone opened up a can of worms...

Stupid is 'posed to hurt scooterj's Avatar
    4" S&W 610 10mm
    USPSA: TY-28619
    ICORE: LA1484
    Team Freedom GunWorks
    www.freedomgunworks.com
    You can't fix stupid and you can't teach common sense!

This should end all discussion. Top it. I dare you.

Maybe I got to it fast enough!

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Glock 19
    +1....

EVERYONE HAS THERE FAV
    that is why they make so many differnt guns
    so mine would be XDm 9mm 19 in the mag one in the pipe small enought you can still carry it but if you are hunting hogs it may take all 19 but for the combo of target and home defence & carry mix

if it was home defence and hunting 40sw- 10mm (and I am not a glock fan but ) 10mm is a good round too considering the 44 was aready noted as a fav

target and carry I would say .357/ 38 wheel gun a compact killer

Only one handgun for all situations..... It would be a .357 Mag or .44 Mag wheel gun with a 4 inch barrel. Big/hot enough for hunting, great SD weapons, reliable, ammo variety, common calibers.....

It would NOT be a Glock 19. 9mm is good on people or smaller, but that's about it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Never underestimate the power of Stupid People in large numbers.

The shores of history are littered with the wrecks of civilizations, where once free men trusted their rights and liberty to a wholly centralized government.

Quote Originally Posted by Saftman View Post
    I love a 1911 in .45 ACP as much as anything, but the only way they could be included is if it is in 10mm.

Still, all around..... It'd have to be a revolver in either .357 Mag or .44 Mag.

Professional Amateur

Gold Member
    Well, MY best all around pistol is my Glock 22. I have the .40 cal factory barrel, plus a Lone Wolf .357 Sig AND a L.W. 9mm x 19 barrel for it- three guns in one.
    Sam
    Central/Pride, Evil Black Rifle Parish(EBR), LA

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’"
    -Col. Jeff Cooper

If you do not hunt, nor ever expect to have a need for a handgun to utilize in a survival situation, and only have one as a personal protection gun, the the 9mm's, 380's, 40's, 32's, that would be your choice. But for an all-around, pretty-much-handle-it-all gun, you would need to go to a revolver in a big-enough caliber to be a "do-it-all" gun. That's what I'm sayin'. semi-automatics are horribly limited on the type and availability of ammo they can use. A wheel-gun, if you handload, can shoot beans, rocks, tacks, bullets, pellets, snake oil, etc.

Professional Amateur

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimdana1942 View Post
    If you do not hunt, nor ever expect to have a need for a handgun to utilize in a survival situation, and only have one as a personal protection gun, the the 9mm's, 380's, 40's, 32's, that would be your choice. But for an all-around, pretty-much-handle-it-all gun, you would need to go to a revolver in a big-enough caliber to be a "do-it-all" gun. That's what I'm sayin'. semi-automatics are horribly limited on the type and availability of ammo they can use. A wheel-gun, if you handload, can shoot beans, rocks, tacks, bullets, pellets, snake oil, etc.
    I can understand that. Damn- I'd really hate to have to pick just one! All the more reason to fight those anti-gun pansies!!!
    Sam
    Central/Pride, Evil Black Rifle Parish(EBR), LA

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’"
    -Col. Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by oleheat View Post
    I can understand that. Damn- I'd really hate to have to pick just one! All the more reason to fight those anti-gun pansies!!!
    Good point!

Let's see...357 magnum...all around perfect caliber for me. I mean,I carry a 9mm for ccw,but in a perfect world,I would carry a 357>

Instructor
    Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Glock 19
    One of the instructors from Tactical Response puts it well.
    All guns should be Glocks, All Glocks should be 9mm, All 9mm Glocks should be model 19s
    Defensive Firearms Training and CHP Certification
    www.BearcoTraining.com
    Facebook.com/bearco