St. Mary Parish SO Range Report.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Ok I have been hearing about the range near Franklin and I finally decided to go check it out and here is what I found out. I talked with the RO I think he said his name was Troy. He said that the range is his full time job and he is there every weekday from about 9am until about 4pm. The range is open to the public. The range shuts down at 3:45 for everyone to police their brass and pick up their targets. Some times the range may be closed for police use but just call 337-350-0086 or 337-828-1960 before you go and they should be able to let you know if it is or not.

They have 3 bays. One bay is a 150 yard rifle range. They have a cement walkway down the middle of the bay so you do not have to walk in the water / mud if it has rained recently. The range is marked at 25 yard increments. They provide target stands and target frames but you have to bring your own targets. They had IIRC 6 benches under a covered awning with chairs and a few sandbags. Looked like the white "hurricane" sandbags, I just bring my own. The range was quiet today only one other guy there with his 2 kids shooting some .22's. Looked like they were having a good time. The benches are wood and not cemented to the ground but the bench I shot off of was very sturdy and did the job fine. I inquired about any caliber restriction and was told not really but no 50 BMG :(.

The pistol bay had several firing lines and was a 50 yard range. They had a cement walk way down the center and several cement firing lines at standard distances.

The third bay was bascily just an open bay that the SWAT team uses mostly and is pretty much closed to the public kinda. I explained that I shoot USPSA matches and inquired if I could set up some of my stands and move and shoot as long as everything was set up down range. He did not say no but didnt really say yes either. I am not sure if he knew exactly what I meant. I think if I go a few times and he sees that I am not a JBT Urban Ninja I might be able to (fingers crossed). I told him that I might become a regular because it is just about 10minutes further down the road than the range I currently go to but that is only open 7 hours a week to the public. He stated that he had a few regular's. They had a few picnic tables under the covered portion of the pistol bay along with a BBQ pit. He said there are guys that show up and shoot all day when the weather is right. He said I would be welcome to use the pit if I ever wanted to. I am sure it would cost me a burger though LOL.

Summary:
    Price: FREE!
    Hours: 9-4, Mon - Fri (they did change it last year during hunting season to Tues - Sat)
    You MUST police your own brass. You cannont leave it. They do have buckets you can put it in and leave it there but you can not leave it on the ground.
    Bring your own targets. They do have target stands and card board for you to staple your targets to.
    Of course eye and ear protection is required.

Directions:
    Take HWY 90 to the Franklin exit and head north towards town. At the first stop sign, a 4 Way stop, (Franklin Hospital is on the corner) take a right on to Chatsworth Dr. Continue down Chatsworth drive for 1 mile until you cross the draw bridge this road will take you back to HWY 90. Just after you cross the draw bridge turn right and go under the overpass. This will put you on the service road of HWY 90 East bound on the south side of the road. Go about 1/2 mile and turn right at SO Range sign onto Black Bear Ln and continue down gravel drive to range.

Rifle bay:

Pistol Bay:

3rd Bay

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    You MUST police your own brass. You cannont leave it.

That's never a problem...I'm happy to police mine and every other piece I can get my powder-stained fingers on :D

Sounds like it's a nice alternative to the IPSO range with those EXCELLENT hours. More than once I've been unable to work out some stuff prior to matches because weather or training hammered the public hours IPSO is open.

Now that you know how to get there, I'll be coming to you for directions. ;)

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Grrrrr! I wish I knew this last year. I was driving to Franklin every day when we were renovating the Regions bank in Franklin, and passed this range. Coulda gotten some trigger time before work. :(

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    I believe the b/w target on the left is mine from when I went out this past Saturday morning.... only I usually set that one up at the full 150yds for XTC off-hand practice.

There is a Black Bear refuge south of the range. Two weeks ago while opening the gate, my son and I witnessed a medium sized one cross the limstone road near the shell/limestone mound and jump the drainage ditch and high tail it into the cane. Bought the time we were ready to leave we went to retrieve the target at 150. At 100 a racoon started to cross our path trying to make it into one of the drainage pipes. Scared him back to the pistol range. My son really enjoyed that outing.

Range officers are usually Mr. Brown - doesn't put up with much nonsense and when he says it's time to start packing, Do it. I saw him light a fire into a couple of fellas one day for waiting till 4 to start packing. Rattled them pretty good. So much so, one of them left a rifle. THe other officer you speak of sounds like Mr. Guillory.

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Curtis thanks again for that great optic at a great price. I went to this range just to sight it in. Worked GREAT!!!

Glad it worked out and that it went to a good home :D. I went to IPSO range today to zero my new scope. Started messing around and ended up about 5 rounds short to be "sure" of the zero. :mad: it when that happens. Got to work for a living Friday but I'm sorely tempted to check out the St. Mary range Thursday to finish up with the .308 so I can save Saturday at IPSO for some pistol practice.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    I've been there the last 2 weekends. It's definately worth a little drive to me simply due to the hours that it is open. The range officer is friendly as well and will BS with you about guns, training, etc.
    I'll be heading back that way this weekend too depending on the weather.

rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    rustyduck, we went there. they have a few iron targets for pistol range. the nice man in charge told me i can bring my own iron targets and make my own little rapid fire point n shoot course if dumb people where not there.

he is pretty easy on folks who act smart with guns. if you are not using common sense he has many rules he will enforce, he may even kick you out.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom