BayouShooter Ad Available
MEJ Services LLC

View Poll Results: Which is the better HD/SHTF Shotgun?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remington 870 Express Tactical 7 shot

41 66.13%
  • Mossberg 590A1 Special Purpose 9 shot

21 33.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 Express Tactical 7 shot vs. Mossberg 590A1 SPX 9 shot?

Remington 870 Express Tactical 7 shot vs. Mossberg 590A1 SPX 9 shot?

I'm about to purchase a Shotgun for Home Defense and SHTF (if ever necessay).

I've narrowed it down to the Remington 870 Express Tactical 7 shot (6+1)

OR

the Mossberg 590A1 Special Purpose 9 shot.

Both seem like excellent choices for HD or SHTF.

The factual differences between the 2 are cost (the Mossberg is between $60 - $80 more expensive), the capacity (Mossberg carries 2 more 2 3/4" loads) and length (the Mossberg is a 20" barrel and is 2 1/2" longer in OAL).

I've heard that the Remingtons are more reliable and it seems like the shorter length of the 870 tac would be better in the house. The "tacticool" side of me likes the 2 extra shells the Mossberg would be able to carry.

Just wondering if any of you all have personnal experience between the two.

Thanks.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
    -- Thomas Jefferson

"No one is more hopelessly enslaved, than the person who falsely believes he is free."
    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Blessed is the LORD, my rock,
    who trains my hands for battle,
    my fingers for warfare" -- Psalms 144:1 ✡

I recently obtained an 870--wilson combat version --- after a dog alert one night and I realized that my handgun and a flashlight wouldn't cut it.
    I've owned a couple of 870's and also a couple of mossbergs.They both fired every time I pulled the trigger. They were typical, off the shelf hunting guns.
    If push comes to shove--I think my 870 can get me out of a bind with 7 rounds. JMO !!
    "The Dog Is Only a Distraction."

Marksman
    Site Sponsor
    I own the tactical 870 and would not trade it for the world. Ghost ring sights , 18.5" barrel, and the Remington reliability. Put a side saddle and u have 6 xtra rounds handy
    Last edited by gmshooter; July 23rd, 2009 at 04:58 PM.
    James Louque
    Louques Firearms LLC.
    225-206-1908
    TY28804 USPSA

Down to personal preference IMO. Go handle and shot both to see what you like.

Oh yea, Mossberg 590A1 for me.
    Last edited by Speedlace; July 23rd, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
    I'll cut you, Homes!

C'est Chaud Peur Lot dangermoney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlace View Post
    Down to personal preference IMO. Go handle and shot both to see what you like.

Oh yea, Mossberg 590A1 for me.
    +1

Both are excellent shotguns.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

XD 45
    870 because it looks nicer. You'll be equally happy with both.

Don't let capacity be a deal-breaker...a Choate Rem magazine extension will fix you right up at about the cost difference between the two. I have a extension on mine that holds 8 total in the magazine tube. That length of extension is even with a 22 in. barrel.
    "Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true." -- Buddha

U.S.P.S.A.: A-53214
    N.S.C.A.: 618535
    U.S.P.S.A. CRO w/Multi-Gun endorsement

Like both but to chose but had to have one it would be the 870 built tough.

It would be hard to go wrong with either.

The only thing you might consider is the safety placement. The safety on the Mossy is on top, which is nice with a traditional stock, but if you ever go pistol grip, the Remy has one next to the trigger guard.

Marksman
    I've been eyeballing the 870 express for a couple of weeks now. Good to hear they're gtg. I think budsgunshop had them for 345. Is that a competitive price?

^^^^Sounds like a good price to me. I have a 590 and a Benelli Nova Tactical w/ a tube extension. I have not had any problems with either. I would maybe go 870 because various barrels are a little easier to come by. But either guns would be GTG. And as bayouslide said you can get a mag extension if you truly want more capacity. But if you cant get the job done with 7 rounds then you are in it real deep.

Quote Originally Posted by BBQLS1 View Post
    It would be hard to go wrong with either.

The only thing you might consider is the safety placement. The safety on the Mossy is on top, which is nice with a traditional stock, but if you ever go pistol grip, the Remy has one next to the trigger guard.
    Yep. Good advice. Alot of people don't realize this til they've already put the PG on their mossberg.

USPSA # L3344 - CRO
    Vice President - East Ascension Practical Shooters
    Board Member - Louisiana Shooting Association

Become a Site Donor or Advertiser

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer
    as long as a B-27 silhoutte breaks into your house and stands still exactly 15yds away you'll have no problem protecting yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Yep. Good advice. Alot of people don't realize this til they've already put the PG on their mossberg.
    Ahhh... It just clicked.

So if I want a pistol grip, then Remington all the way. Thanks.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
    -- Thomas Jefferson

"No one is more hopelessly enslaved, than the person who falsely believes he is free."

Misanthrope Savant

Premium Member
    My vote goes for the 590.

And it may just be my opinion, but I don't care for pistol grips on shotguns...I find them entirely too jarring on the wrist, especially if you shoot it a lot. It also puts your arm in an awkward position if you want to use the butt as a weapon.

I am not sure if you have seen this yet http://www.remington.com/products/fi.../model_887.asp in the salt filled air we live in you may think of this
    IMHO I do not think you need 9 rounds I say this I have a shotgun that hold 9 and I have a regular 870 without a exstended mag and I would reach for the 870
    my 9 shot is a stoeger 2000 and the longer mag to me throws the waight off
    now if I need to clear the whole street yeah 9 is good but 7 and a side saddle would work too
    I would also say try them both
    but the best thing you can do is too practice reloads and make sure it is broke in and practice because muscel memery is what will matter when it counts
    but thats just me

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrik78 View Post

And it may just be my opinion, but I don't care for pistol grips on shotguns...I find them entirely too jarring on the wrist, especially if you shoot it a lot. It also puts your arm in an awkward position if you want to use the butt as a weapon.
    What is it about the 590 you like better?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrik78 View Post

Try a Knoxx Spec-Ops stock. Both the pistol grip and the buttstock itself are shock absorbing. I've run hot 3" magnum slugs through my 870 and they feel like 20ga birdshot.
    Champions: The breakfast of Chuck Norris!

"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy" - J. Wales

Have a koch and a smile!!

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15th."-- Ronald Reagan

Misanthrope Savant

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBQLS1 View Post
    What is it about the 590 you like better?
    Probably familiarity. My first pump was a Mossberg 500. Aside from the barrel/magazine, they are nearly identical.

Otherwise, 870 and the 590 are about 'what and what'. Maybe a slight edge to the 590 for round count.

Just as an update, I bought the Remy 870 tactical and shot it today. Very Pleased.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dfsutton View Post
    Just as an update, I bought the Remy 870 tactical and shot it today. Very Pleased.