Remington 870 Express Tactical 7 shot vs. Mossberg 590A1 SPX 9 shot?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which is the better HD/SHTF Shotgun?

• Total voters

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I own the tactical 870 and would not trade it for the world. Ghost ring sights , 18.5" barrel, and the Remington reliability. Put a side saddle and u have 6 xtra rounds handy

I also have several 870's, two tacticals, including one of James's. Have a Mossberg "turkey & goose" pumpgun.

The Alaskan & Yukon Brown (Grizzly) guides use 870's as backup guns in case of a wounded bear charge because the 870 is the most reliable thing available that can shoot more than two rounds without reloading.

One just can't go wrong with an 870.

James is very up-front and easy to deal with. If I needed another, I'd definitely see James Loque for it.

leVieux

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Another factor that you might want to consider is the location of the disconector, on the 870 is located forward of the trigger guard and the 500's is usually located before the trigger guard.

MYSELF, I have problems reaching it on the 870 without heaving to change my grip to much but I can reach it VERY good with my thumb on my 500.

Also as mention before the safety is located in completely diferent places.

Other than that they both good guns and its a matter of peanut butter and jelly, or jelly and peanut butter.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    One just can't go wrong with an 870.

+1

I've abused the crap out of my 870 as a kid, it's been dropped on concrete, in rice fields, mud, ice, rain it just keeps shooting. Shell after Shell, Year after Year, and now decade after decade for me.

I will NEVER buy another brand of shotgun.

Remington 870 Express is the pound for pound best Shotgun I've ever experienced.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Dude, this thread is a year and a half old.

fgj.jpg

And its mine!:rofl:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I've owned both, and happen to have the 870 Tactical as my bedside for the moment-- but only because the 590 was given to a friend when he moved into a "rough" part of the city.

FWIW, I prefer the 870 a bit for undefinable reasons. It just feels better, although the ergonomics of both guns are very good. In the end, you can't go wrong either way-- they both have an impressive track record, tons of aftermarket support and plenty of "bang" (pun intended) for your buck.

I got a great deal from James (gmshooter) on the 870 Tactical, so it was a no brainer for me!

hdgnnr

itchy trigger finger
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    shreveport
    id go with the 870, ive owned about 5 of them since i got my first one when i was 8. the only thing i would recommend is that you change the mag follower and maybe the mag spring after you get it.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    FWIW, I was in the market for another 870 and recently checked out the Express. Instead picked up an older 870 Wingmaster that was a lightly-used police trade in...build quality is much nicer than the Express IMO and was a little cheaper to boot.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Have owned both, shot both extensively, and if those were the choices I'd pick the Remington.

But...I currently own an FN TPS (AR'd Winchester 1300 to be frank) that is THE choice for me from here on out. Only because it reliabley feeds the Aguila mini shells which I've been testing of late. That makes it a 12 shooter with all the blast you'll ever need out to 60-70 meters and inside a room to boot.

Neither the 590 or 870's I've tried with these work reliablly.

Not to thread jack, but those mini shells are an awesome idea and I'd love to see other makers intro them with perhaps a view of more reliability in differing shotgun brands. Makes the idea of "low recoil" buckshot kind of silly, particularly when you can double the ammo load in the mag tube. WELL satisfied with the TPS and won't be in the market for another HD shotugn for any time soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom