Honey Island Plate Rack

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Here is some information from the Honey Island web Page:

http://honeyisland.org/range-information.htm

-----------------------------------------------

HONEY ISLAND SHOOTING RANGE INFORMATION

The Honey Island Shooting Range is located in the Pearl River Wildlife Management Area at Exit 5B on I-59 near Pearl River, Louisiana. Please see the MAP.

Contact Information:
    Range Information Number (985) 643-3938.

Facilities:
    Rifle Line:
    100 Yard Rifle Line.
    You may shoot rifles, pistols, shotguns (No Buckshot) but not full auto firearms on the rifle line.
    Metal Plates at the 100 yard line.
    Positions for target frames at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards.

Pistol Line:
    25 yard pistol line.
    You may shoot rifles, pistols, shotguns, and full auto at the pistol line.
    Dueling tree and squirrels at 25 yards for 22LR shooters.
    Falling metal plate racks at 25 yards for conventional pistol calibers fired from conventional handguns.
    Places for target frames and targets up to 25 yards.
    -----------------------------------------------------

The range rules are intended to protect the safety of shooters and the property of the range.

A 50 cal round fired from a revolver DOES NOT meet the definition of a conventional pistol caliber.
    A .223 round fired from a Thompson Contender DOES not meet the definition either.

The increased utilization of the range has forced the management of the range to decide that setting up target frames in the falling plate area is causing damage to the expensive plate racks.

Please note that the line officer has the authority to decide what is or is not safe on the line.

Again more proof the RO was wrong.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Again more proof the RO was wrong.

If that's the rules, that's the rules, but I've never seen those posted on the range. If they are posted, I don't know where they are. They cannot expect folks to read the website before visiting.

Again, if the RO would have just said simply that they do not allow rifles of any kind (regardless of caliber) to be shot at the plates, I would have been fine with it. However, he wanted to argue ballistics and make excuses.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Haven't been to Honey Island since it was turned over to the folks running it now. Sounds Like I ain't missing much.
    I would go check it out myself.
    I have shot other places that were not as near as bad as I have heard on here.

Of course it only takes one instance and maybe I am just lucky.

My experience there was one of the best I have spent in shooting. M1 Garand Clinic, which should be coming up soon.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    If that's the rules, that's the rules, but I've never seen those posted on the range. If they are posted, I don't know where they are. They cannot expect folks to read the website before visiting.

Again, if the RO would have just said simply that they do not allow rifles of any kind (regardless of caliber) to be shot at the plates, I would have been fine with it. However, he wanted to argue ballistics and make excuses.

You can't control the way people are. You can however choose how you react to it. Bottom line was the same though any way it went down. So the RO was right even though he was wrong. Even if he was wrong he was the RO and it was his call.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So the RO was right even though he was wrong. Even if he was wrong he was the RO and it was his call.

He was right that they don't allow rifles in the plate rack lanes (per the new set of interweb rules).
    He was wrong about everything else.

Am I wrong for getting annoyed? I don't think so. My post did exactly what I was hoping for, create discussion. I have no problem voicing my opinion about what I think is a stupid rule. As I've said already, they limit everyone because of a few derps.

I think it would be beneficial and cost efficient for Honey Island to get rid of the plate rack and replace it with static plates. It would only make sense considering the plate racks are typically broken anyway.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    He was right that they don't allow rifles in the plate rack lanes (per the new set of interweb rules).
    He was wrong about everything else.

Am I wrong for getting annoyed? I don't think so. My post did exactly what I was hoping for, create discussion. I have no problem voicing my opinion about what I think is a stupid rule. As I've said already, they limit everyone because of a few derps.

I think it would be beneficial and cost efficient for Honey Island to get rid of the plate rack and replace it with static plates. It would only make sense considering the plate racks are typically broken anyway.

How you feel is how you feel. I am just at a point in life where many things are in the "it is what it is" category. I am also in the don't complain if you aren't willing to be part of the solution camp as much as I used to hate hearing it. I also tend to try to see it from the other person's perspective. Admittedly that can take too much patience at times.

What I have observed is everybody pisses and moans about not having any place to shoot around here. Yet they don't support the local ranges. When they do go they complain about everything including the price. People want to shoot all day in air conditioning but don't want to pay for it.

Life is just so much easier when you don't let certain things bother you. You do kind of make me wonder why you get so focused on an issue at times. Some things just seem to get your goat.

Do you have any plans to solve the plate rack issue? Maybe you could head up a group to build or donate one. It would take a collective of guys here. I have no idea on the cost.

Last edited:

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Do you have any plans to solve the plate rack issue? Maybe you could head up a group to build or donate one. It would take a collective of guys here. I have no idea on the cost.

Did you not read my post? I suggested static plates.

I believe RDO is making a distinction between "a plan to solve" (which involves action) and "a suggestion" made on an internet board (which involves no action). Maybe RDO will elaborate.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Are you just suggesting? Or are you willing to contact H.I. and try to work with them to replace the rack. If so I am sure some here would be willing to help.

It's a suggestion.

Reason: I've already spoke with them about it, and they've replaced all of the racks with "Gen 2" racks.

stogie5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    Slidell,LA
    I would go check it out myself.
    I have shot other places that were not as near as bad as I have heard on here.

Of course it only takes one instance and maybe I am just lucky.

My experience there was one of the best I have spent in shooting. M1 Garand Clinic, which should be coming up soon.

I've been a member of a private range in the Picayune area for over 15 years now, no need. But I am sure Honey Island is better than it was when the LDWF controlled it, THAT was interesting shooting, lemme tell you, I stopped going on weekends due to yahoos shooting up the tin roof. :-(

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Until he steps on your snek.

Pretty much. That's when all the neckbeards start to riot.

Dave good thing my wife was not there (She had the duty Fri afternoon) she may have just told you to go away LOL

I would have told her hello from the get go and it may have been a different experience lol

The guy I was dealing with was one that I've dealt with before. He's an older fellow that has an attitude worse than mine.

Hopalong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    Sorry you had a bad experience. I know the RO and heard about the situation directly from him. Now I've heard your side. I am not taking sides but will tell you that the RO is not lazy as you claim. If he was being lazy he would have permitted you to shoot your 9mm carbine at the plates. His first response to you was true but his follow up response to you is the real reason for the policy as customers will see you and try to do as you do and the RO(s) will continue to have to correct them. We have more issues with shooters using center fire calibers on the 22 rim fire end of pistol as evidenced by the holes in the metal gophers and squirrels. We catch it from both sides of pistol.

Hope you and your buddy come back as we (RSOs) at Honey Island work hard to be consistent and keep the shooting experience safe for everyone.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Sorry you had a bad experience. I know the RO and heard about the situation directly from him. Now I've heard your side. I am not taking sides but will tell you that the RO is not lazy as you claim. If he was being lazy he would have permitted you to shoot your 9mm carbine at the plates. His first response to you was true but his follow up response to you is the real reason for the policy as customers will see you and try to do as you do and the RO(s) will continue to have to correct them. We have more issues with shooters using center fire calibers on the 22 rim fire end of pistol as evidenced by the holes in the metal gophers and squirrels. We catch it from both sides of pistol.

Hope you and your buddy come back as we (RSOs) at Honey Island work hard to be consistent and keep the shooting experience safe for everyone.

All I'm asking is for truthful answers on the first go around. Just telling me "no" doesn't help, and arguing about velocities doesn't help either. Telling me they don't want me to, for fear of others trying to shoot centerfire rifle rounds, would have been an answer I would be ok with. I may come back in the future, but I'd appreciate if the RO's didn't treat everyone as if they are children.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom