Honey Island Plate Rack

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    My thing is either make it about "caliber" OR "stock/no stock".

It's about caliber AND stock/no stock.

9mm with a stock is not allowed at the plates. .22lr with a stock is not allowed at the plates. Pistol in a rifle caliber is not allowed at the plates. Certain large caliber pistols and revolvers are not allowed at the plates.

Selfs is a not for profit organization dedicated to providing us with a safe, inexpensive place to shoot. Those plate racks cost them a small fortune.

They've got the right to make their own rules on their property, just as this forum has the right to censor speech on it's property.

The range officers are only enforcing the rules.

Remember, They have to deal with total strangers who have loaded guns, every shift.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

9mm with a stock is not allowed at the plates. .22lr with a stock is not allowed at the plates. Pistol in a rifle caliber is not allowed at the plates. Certain large caliber pistols and revolvers are not allowed at the plates.

Selfs is a not for profit organization dedicated to providing us with a safe, inexpensive place to shoot. Those plate racks cost them a small fortune.

They've got the right to make their own rules on their property, just as this forum has the right to censor speech on it's property.

The range officers are only enforcing the rules.

Remember, They have to deal with total strangers who have loaded guns, every shift.

So you agree the RO is a dumb ass. You could have saved time and just said Dave was right.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I was shooting a .40s&w carbine, 16" barrel, at the plate rack, with a guy next to me shooting the same rack (crowded day) with a smith&wesson 10mm handgun, I was told to stop even though the 10mm out the 4.5"-5" barrel was putting A LOT more smack on the plate rack. They don't care about physics, like you said, just too lazy to educate the idiots.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Really ??? $6 to shoot all day and your crying ? Just move on to something worth while. Or better yet volunteer for a few weekends. With your ability to tolerate derps you could probably keep from going postal for at least 10 minutes. Not saying the RO was right but can you imagine the crap they see and deal with everyday ? Ugggggg

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I was at the rifle line Saturday. I checked in my rifles, went to the rifle line. Showed up around 11am, there was a couple lanes open, I took one, waited for it to get cold. Set up my targets and proceeded to shoot a few rifles to sight them in. My overall experience went well, Range officers literally only stopped by to make sure my weapons are clear and bolt locked back (they were). I saw them ask OVER THE INTERCOM, if everyone was ready for it to go hot. Sure enough, everyone either said yea or gave a thumbs up. Well there were 2 kids without eye protection on, and 1 person without hearing protection on. And sure enough, the range officer caught that even though their parents did not (after giving the thumbs up). So they are doing their job.

Now on the pistol line, I've really seen some crazy stuff in the past. I've seen a group of guys with an AK variant, shooting from the hip as fast as they can, like it was scar face. I've seen that same said group of people wondering why their 7.62x54 monarch ammo wouldn't fit that same AK mag, so proceeded to open the bolt to try to drop one in....

My only gripe about the range is that they will only let you shoot machine guns on the pistol side. Makes since though (so you won't shoot over the berm) But you can't really sight in an optic on the pistol side. well not past 25 yards at least.

BTW, I met 2 really nice guys this weekend, the female range officer was very polite and liked to check out my rifles, and there was an older gentleman (probably late 80's) that was having problems with his rifle, and didn't mind me offering to help and ended up being really funny b/c he has a brand new AR that he was trying to sight in, and couldn't get the optic on, saying "I can't see sh*t now a days" lol.... yet he wants to shoot a rifle lol

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La

.... .22lr with a stock is not allowed at the plates. Pistol in a rifle caliber is not allowed at the plates. ...

We were shooting my friend's 10/22 carbine at the squirrels in the rimfire area, were we not supposed to? They didn't say anything to us, and we would have been glad to cease if they had. But I've seen others with carbines down there, so I guess that is ok?

As for the over all experience, I find all the RO we've dealt with were very friendly and helpful, while trying to maintain protocol, which obviously should be their first priority. We also find many other shooters to be friendly and often willing to engage in light conversation. I don't ever feel that way at any of the indoor ranges. The atmosphere is why we prefer going there, and bought a year pass for the family.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    We were shooting my friend's 10/22 carbine at the squirrels in the rimfire area, were we not supposed to? They didn't say anything to us, and we would have been glad to cease if they had. But I've seen others with carbines down there, so I guess that is ok?

As for the over all experience, I find all the RO we've dealt with were very friendly and helpful, while trying to maintain protocol, which obviously should be their first priority. We also find many other shooters to be friendly and often willing to engage in light conversation. I don't ever feel that way at any of the indoor ranges. The atmosphere is why we prefer going there, and bought a year pass for the family.

I believe he's talking about the plate rack for the pistols, not the rimfire section. From my understanding, any 22lr goes for the rimfire section. They have stopped me from shooting at my own "targets" on the rimfire section. I used to put army men up in between the squirrels/gophers (and would hit it almost 100% of the time), but they said they cannot allow it b/c people would hit the frame/rack/bar....

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I was shooting a .40s&w carbine, 16" barrel, at the plate rack, with a guy next to me shooting the same rack (crowded day) with a smith&wesson 10mm handgun, I was told to stop even though the 10mm out the 4.5"-5" barrel was putting A LOT more smack on the plate rack. They don't care about physics, like you said, just too lazy to educate the idiots.

This.

.454 Casull has roughly 4 times the muzzle energy of a 9mm, even out of a carbine, but God forbid I shoot a carbine at a plate. Honey Island might sink if I do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Clearly your rifle (pistol) needs more sig brace. They wouldn't know what to think.

LOL

If I shoulder it with an ATF letter taped to my lower, will their heads explode?

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Haven't been back since they told me I could not shoot my VTAC xray targets because they looked too much like a human. :doh:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Really ??? $6 to shoot all day and your crying ? Just move on to something worth while. Or better yet volunteer for a few weekends. With your ability to tolerate derps you could probably keep from going postal for at least 10 minutes. Not saying the RO was right but can you imagine the crap they see and deal with everyday ? Ugggggg

When did I complain about using the facility for $6?

I have an inability to tolerate derps, but luckily they do. The point was, and always will be, they limit everyone because of a few morons they have to babysit. Sounds sort of like what the libtards do with our gun rights.

lottem

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Here is some information from the Honey Island web Page:

http://honeyisland.org/range-information.htm

-----------------------------------------------

HONEY ISLAND SHOOTING RANGE INFORMATION

The Honey Island Shooting Range is located in the Pearl River Wildlife Management Area at Exit 5B on I-59 near Pearl River, Louisiana. Please see the MAP.

Contact Information:
    Range Information Number (985) 643-3938.

Facilities:
    Rifle Line:
    100 Yard Rifle Line.
    You may shoot rifles, pistols, shotguns (No Buckshot) but not full auto firearms on the rifle line.
    Metal Plates at the 100 yard line.
    Positions for target frames at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards.

Pistol Line:
    25 yard pistol line.
    You may shoot rifles, pistols, shotguns, and full auto at the pistol line.
    Dueling tree and squirrels at 25 yards for 22LR shooters.
    Falling metal plate racks at 25 yards for conventional pistol calibers fired from conventional handguns.
    Places for target frames and targets up to 25 yards.
    -----------------------------------------------------

The range rules are intended to protect the safety of shooters and the property of the range.

A 50 cal round fired from a revolver DOES NOT meet the definition of a conventional pistol caliber.
    A .223 round fired from a Thompson Contender DOES not meet the definition either.

The increased utilization of the range has forced the management of the range to decide that setting up target frames in the falling plate area is causing damage to the expensive plate racks.

Please note that the line officer has the authority to decide what is or is not safe on the line.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom