I Said This (To Get Elected), But of Course; Am Doing This!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    Not only that but people.are freaking out about TOPS. I feel for anyone in school that will lose their funds but if you're like me and have been in this state as long as I have you know that TOPS is given out to people every day that have not done anything stellar to deserve it. TOPS is like allot of other th ings, the fat needs to be trimmed and has been for a long time. And allot of the same people upset about are totally against Berne Sanders and his everyone goes to college for free talk which I find hysterical. My Facebook feed is entertaining these days.

Wrong, not everybody gets TOPS, they have to maintain certain GPA and also meet a certain level on the ACT. There are also higher tier levels in the TOPS program, a lot of students bust their ass to meet those goals.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Wrong, not everybody gets TOPS, they have to maintain certain GPA and also meet a certain level on the ACT. There are also higher tier levels in the TOPS program, a lot of students bust their ass to meet those goals.
    And allot don't. I personally have know many people that were given 2nd 3rd and 4th chances with their GPA. I have also know children of wealthy families awarded TOPS when their parents are driving luxury cars and living in 5,000 square foot house. Like I said the fat had needed to be trimmed for a long time. I didn't say every single student didn't deserve. But the whole program is full of holes. That's a fact.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River

And I didn't say everyone gets tops. Learn to read jack a$$.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    And allot don't. I personally have know many people that were given 2nd 3rd and 4th chances with their GPA. I have also know children of wealthy families awarded TOPS when their parents are driving luxury cars and living in 5,000 square foot house. Like I said the fat had needed to be trimmed for a long time. I didn't say every single student didn't deserve. But the whole program is full of holes. That's a fact.
    Tops was an award based scholarship for students that stayed in state, and met certain requirements. I don't understand why you would say that the more fortunate families shouldn't receive the scholarship? So if I maintain my lifestyle, my child can't get a scholarship on his own merit due to MY income? Also, it's not like financial aid in which my child probably will not qualify for. So now a double whammy to keep my child from affording a decent education.

Unfortunately for those of us that are fortunate enough to make a decent living for ourselves end up paying the most for just about everything. The top 15% of the nation pays the majority of the taxes. And the bottom act like they pay taxes yet get receive the majority if not more back in a "tax refund".

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Tops was an award based scholarship for students that stayed in state, and met certain requirements. I don't understand why you would say that the more fortunate families shouldn't receive the scholarship? So if I maintain my lifestyle, my child can't get a scholarship on his own merit due to MY income? Also, it's not like financial aid in which my child probably will not qualify for. So now a double whammy to keep my child from affording a decent education.

Unfortunately for those of us that are fortunate enough to make a decent living for ourselves end up paying the most for just about everything. The top 15% of the nation pays the majority of the taxes. And the bottom act like they pay taxes yet get receive the majority if not more back in a "tax refund".
    I'm not anywhere near the "bottom" smart ass. And if it's a scholarship that's funded by tax dollars then it should go to extreme cases of performance and willingness to do great things. Not just a person who lives in state with a 4.0 in high school. There is nothing about that I should help pay for.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm not anywhere near the "bottom" smart ass. And if it's a scholarship that's funded by tax dollars then it should go to extreme cases of performance and willingness to do great things. Not just a person who lives in state with a 4.0 in high school. There is nothing about that I should help pay for.

I never said you were near the bottom. I was referencing how similar it would be to not award students for working hard as to not awarding adults for their efforts also. Im not rich, but I do not like the redistribution of wealth... It's an endless cycle that will de-motivate people

Don't assume things so quickly and start with the name calling. I have zero idea of your financial status nor do I care. I was just stating how I felt in opposition to how you stated that the fortunate families shouldn't be awarded tops. I received tops out of high school, along with an academic scholarship, and my father was well off. But guess what? He didn't contribute a dime towards my tuition, and I still managed to rack up 100k in student loans. But that was then. I worked hard to pay it off. And I'm glad I had the tops Bc I probably couldn't qualify for all the loans I had to take out if tops and my tuition didn't take a portion out of what I needed

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I never said you were near the bottom. I was referencing how similar it would be to not award students for working hard as to not awarding adults for their efforts also. Im not rich, but I do not like the redistribution of wealth... It's an endless cycle that will de-motivate people

Don't assume things so quickly and start with the name calling. I have zero idea of your financial status nor do I care. I was just stating how I felt in opposition to how you stated that the fortunate families shouldn't be awarded tops. I received tops out of high school, along with an academic scholarship, and my father was well off. But guess what? He didn't contribute a dime towards my tuition, and I still managed to rack up 100k in student loans. But that was then. I worked hard to pay it off. And I'm glad I had the tops Bc I probably couldn't qualify for all the loans I had to take out if tops and my tuition didn't take a portion out of what I needed
    I'm happy things worked out for you. But I'm of the opinion that a scholarship granted to person from a university for academic or athletic performance is different than assistance provided from tax dollars. And yes I think that if you're parents had the means to pay for it then you shouldn't have received any assistance. And I don't mean any disrespect by that.
    I guess lately with the presidential campaign and our governor I'm more agitated at what people say than normal. It's raining bull$hit these days.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    My thoughts....regardless of family income, if the student earned the GPA and the ACT score, give them money for higher education. That's no brainier, cheap insurance for EVERYBODY that pays taxes on all sorts of levels.

It means that kid will get a good paying job and be a productive, contributing member of society earning an income which will be part of the future tax base....hopefully, within this state.

I would rather pay for four years of education than a lifetime of welfare....either way, both get passed down to future generations.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Wait so the argument is "if you can pay for it, you don't have the same options as others"

So what determines if you can afford it?
    Kid 1 makes the grade to attend LSU, his parents are middle income. They refuse to foot the bill. Doesn't qualify for aid.
    Kid 2 makes the grade to attend Tulane, his parents are low income. Qualifies for aid.

Kid 2 gets to go to Tulane and Kid 1 gets to go to community college... huh?
    What I have found when people bitch about being "fair" they mostly advocate for ideas that are very deliberately designed to be unfair.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Wait so the argument is "if you can pay for it, you don't have the same options as others"

^^^^^ The government's biggest, legalized discrimination ever conceived.

This also means that if you can afford it, you can also afford to pay for somebody else that can't afford it!

Aaaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!!!

Gets me fired up!

Last edited:

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    My thoughts....regardless of family income, if the student earned the GPA and the ACT score, give them money for higher education. That's no brainier, cheap insurance for EVERYBODY that pays taxes on all sorts of levels.

It means that kid will get a good paying job and be a productive, contributing member of society earning an income which will be part of the future tax base....hopefully, within this state.

I would rather pay for four years of education than a lifetime of welfare....either way, both get passed down to future generations.

You hit it out the park! This is how an why TOPS was formed. It was based on GPA and ACT scores. Income had no part. It's an investment the tax payer makes to get educated citizens to join the workforce and in turn improve the economy.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    How come nobody ever mentions trade school? The world needs welders, plumbers and electricians. I think it is better for a guy to go to trade school for a couple of years and learn a trade than to go to college and graduate with $100,000 in student loans.

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    I totally agree. I know many guys with trade school degrees making more than those with a college degree. The one thing with a trade is you know that there will always be a demand for it.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River

So what determines if you can afford it?
    Kid 1 makes the grade to attend LSU, his parents are middle income. They refuse to foot the bill. Doesn't qualify for aid.
    Kid 2 makes the grade to attend Tulane, his parents are low income. Qualifies for aid.

Kid 2 gets to go to Tulane and Kid 1 gets to go to community college... huh?
    What I have found when people bitch about being "fair" they mostly advocate for ideas that are very deliberately designed to be unfair.
    That's right. Not when it comes to tax dollars. If you're a fan of it then vote for Bernie. What he wants is basically TOPS for everyone.
    I love how this is playing out. A prime example of "bias opinion this effects me or someone I know so this part is ok".

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    What are Bernie's qualifications, grade wise, for free college? Next to nothing?

Instead of TOPS we can let kids pay for their own education, leave the state pursuing better jobs, and never return due to the states failing economy or we can let them enter the workforce now and support them through more government handouts.

Top Bottom