Questions for LSP CHP Division

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I recomend going to LSP headquarters, the only bad thing was going to the ghetto shell station to get a $10 money order.

The part about carrying in a restuarant has always been clear to me, you can carry in main restaurant, but not in the seperate bar area, usually this line is VERY clear. Now the liquor laws are very lengthy, I have a 2009 bound version at work that is 378 pages!!!

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I recomend going to LSP headquarters, the only bad thing was going to the ghetto shell station to get a $10 money order.

The part about carrying in a restuarant has always been clear to me, you can carry in main restaurant, but not in the seperate bar area, usually this line is VERY clear. Now the liquor laws are very lengthy, I have a 2009 bound version at work that is 378 pages!!!

If they are dual permitted, there has to be a physical difference in the bar area, like it being raised and/ or have a half wall around it. Most restuarants have their bar set-up this way. An example of pone that does not would be the way most hooters are designed. You would still be OK there, but that place is probabkly not dual permitted.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    Are there set guidelines for how a CHP class needs to be set up? I was at FITS at the end of theirs and it seemed much more involved than where I went, they even graded their targets.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    LSP must subscribe to the bayoushooter RSS feed. As soon as I started whining for everyone to STFU he calls the OP. Coincidence?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I am definetely going to start tagging all my posts with "FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. Not to be used against me in a court of law."

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Are there set guidelines for how a CHP class needs to be set up? I was at FITS at the end of theirs and it seemed much more involved than where I went, they even graded their targets.

Not really. As long as the 9 hours of material is covered and the shooting guidelines is met, the class is good to go. I know guys who do not really lecture, they only make you watch DVD's. I use DVD's, powerpoint, lecture, internet, and props.

If you cover everything the state requires, there is not a lot of time to do extra.

Solid

USPSA Noob
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Calhoun
    1. Can I carry at a recreational baseball park?
    2. How can I convince others to carry?
    3. What are the ramifications if you leave your wallet (CHP included) at home and remember your firearm? ... then get pulled over?

#3 should be a fine. I know in FL it is like $10.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    1. Can I carry at a recreational baseball park?
    2. How can I convince others to carry?
    3. What are the ramifications if you leave your wallet (CHP included) at home and remember your firearm? ... then get pulled over?

#3. Worst case scenario, an arrest for illegal carrying of a firearm. However, if you have one and forgot it, and the officer is cool, probably nothing, but be advised that failure to carry your permit when carrying is illegal and could at least result in the revocation of your CHP.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I think you covered any question I might have in your post #16.
    He sounds like a good guy, I've never had any problems with anyone in the LSP CHP section, they have alot of work to do with only a few people.

I bet they really had a run on permits just like the run on guns and ammo.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    If a cop runs your license plate can they see that you have a chp, what if they run your drivers license? I know these are simple questions but I have always wondered.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    If a cop runs your license plate can they see that you have a chp, what if they run your drivers license? I know these are simple questions but I have always wondered.

I've tested this with a few friends who have CHP's, never seen anything come up on my system in the car. Headquarters has access to more databases than I do, so I dont know about them.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    A Trooper friend told me one time that it will come up with your restriction like glasses is that still true?
    A LEO friend in Livingston ran my DL about 5 yrs ago to see if they would come when you ran a DL he asked the dispatcher if she could tell him if I had a CHP she said no.
    We though she just didn't know where to look. I guess a computer is only as good as the person reading it and giving you the info.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    7. They are aware of people like MEM and his crew who are planning outings with the specific intent of goading and recording LEO.

MEM has a crew? Where are they planning on doing these outings? School zones? Gov buildings? I'd love to see the news stories on those.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    1) How do I get "a concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.1" ???

2) Does handgun really mean only handgun (and would an AR pistol or the like be considered a handgun). Not that it would be very feasible to conceal carry one, but just curious.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I ran my DL once. It says on the screen at the bottom:

***GP STATUS: ACTIVE***

GP obviously means gun permit.

Yes you can carry an AR pistol. Any weapon designated a pistol is fine. No long guns, machine guns, short barrel rifles, silencers, etc.

Top Bottom