Air rifle suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Ok, im looking to get an air rifle. It's purpose will be for backyard squirrel and rabbit 'eradication' :D. Something in the cheap yet reliable, last a long time category and <1000 fps....

And the single most important feature it must have: crack barrel design (not the pump it up 10 times and by that time the squirrel ran away feature.

I like the gamo models and the benjamin super silver streak models but thats just from interwebz searching....

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I've got a Gamo Hunter 220 that I got from academy a few years back. It came with a 4x scope and rings, and is very accurate and powerful. With the new special alloy pellets, they are deadly on all kinds of small game/varmints. The only thing about the super fast ones is they can be noisy.
    http://www.gamousa.com/Catalog.aspx?Action=Videos
    check out the first vid, guy DROPS a 250 lb hog with a .177 airgun.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I believe Crossman has a good line of pretty inexpensive products. Some of them with a little tuning can actually be serious field target rifles.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    July 2008 issue of the American Rifleman has an article on 2 Gamo air rifles.

My brother has a gamo if you want to check it out.

Yep, just got finished reading it. That's what prompted the thread....So far i'm liking what i've read about Gamos in the mag and on the interwebz

suppressed .22?

It's for popping squirrels at my parents house in a neighborhood. Probably not a good idea.....

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    If you want something that will last like a fine hunting rifle and one that you pass on down the family line, do not settle for anything less than one of the top line Beeman's or at the least an RWS. I bought a Beeman back in the early 90's for $450(dealer cost plus 10%). It is the breakbarrel design, weighs around 8 pounds and the cocking action is listed at 38 pounds. Put a good scope on it and it will zip through a coke can at fifty yards every time, and most of the times if a dead center hit, it won't even move the can. You can get a Beeman in .177, .22, .25 caliber. As for as I know, Beeman is the only one that makes a .25 caliber that runs around 800-850 fps. Mine is the .177 at around 1100 fps and I have even seen in the past on gunbroker they had silencers, err, noise supressor for the Beeman.:eek3: Cabela's carries the RWS, and will run you at least $300 for a good one, but is a little higher in price than some others. I think it was the Sportsman guide or Cheaperthandirt had them a little lower in price. If around N.O., I saw where Chalmette Jewlry in Chalmette was back in business, and he carried the Beemans before the storm. You haven't fired a good one until you have tried one of these. If you put more than a drop of lubricant in the spring piston chamber of the Beeman, it will ignite the oil and a flash will come out of the end of the barrel. Not good on the gun, but it will happen and make it sound like the crack of a .22 lr stinger round. Both Beeman and RWS are all steel rifled barrel with beautiful wood stocks either of which you would be proud of.....:D

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    I have a Gamo Big cat that I got for $60 off amazon.

There is no need for something so fast though. I have dispensed Squirrels with a cheap 700 FPS Chinese side cocker.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    It was a return that had a screw stripped on the mount, swapped it out and it was good to go.

I was not impressed with the accuracy but I cleaned the barrel and shot it a bit more and it tightened up.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Yeah they are, mines .177 tho'...but it seems that it is not the quality as the one I had back in the late 60's to early 70's...wore out 2 crossman before getting the benjamin. Bagged one of the biggest rabbits I ever got with one of the crossmans and it sure did taste good.:drool:

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    I've got a Crossman 66 powermaster that came with a 4x scope and has a 5 round pellet 'magazine'. It's a pump gun. I have effectively engaged with effect crows at 20 yards so I am very happy.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    That full auto is bad. Nah, I free feed my labs and crows seem to like dog food alot. I bought a plastic owl from Jefferson Feed but the crows now use it as a landing pad. Those fuckers aren't scared of anything. So, I just pick one off and they stay gone for a couple of days. They can take a center mass shot pretty well, though.

Although I'd eat one. I've had kangaroo in Australia, dog in Korea, cat and raw goat in Okinawa and roaches in Thailand. All of them pretty good (the goat is my favorite).

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Yep, goat ain't bad, used to have BBQ goat for family reunion every year back in the 60-70's. Can't say anything about the other except probably had cat a few times. I heard that one of the Chinese eating places here was caught a couple of times with a lot of cats in cages out back. Don't know if it was or not but it was good.;) If you can just wing the crow where he falls to the ground yelling out for help, the others will stick around for about 5 or 10 minutes giving you another shot or two. I lived off of hwy 41 before the storm and the crows were a favorite past time, even bought a crow call.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Alfred92
    Top Bottom