$0.10 Survival Knife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Haven't seen it here before but thought I share. Looks like a fun weekend project.

http://www.m4040.com/Survival/10_Cent_Survival_Knife/10_Cent_Survival_Knife.htm

10-cent-survival-knife-b.jpg

10-cent-survival-knife-f.jpg

HacksawSurvivalSpear.jpg

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I've seen that before and always wanted to try it. Thanks for posting it!

the handle is serrated on the back end?

I noticed that too. I would have to grind that out and maybe wrap with para cord. My hand + serrations = no bueno!

Last edited:

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    actually looks like a cool project. I'd probably sand off the serrated edge on the handle. A bench grinder might make quicker work of this. also a cable shrink wrap could make a nice handle that could be put on in seconds.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    could also gut 550 cord and wrap the handle with that, if your blade goes dull or breaks on one side, flip it around and you've still got serrations etc.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    The end of the article has a good suggestion for handle. Dip it in a can of liquid rubber (Rubber Handle Dip).

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    It's kinda cool and all, but if you have the tools to grind and sharpen a blade, I don't know why you wouldn't use a better source material. I think there's plenty of other things that could stand to be up-cycled, instead of using a saw blade that's too flexible for my tastes. I mean, hell, sacrifice one of the files from the set you're using to make that blade. Use a broken table knife, or take one of the butter knives, or the handle from a spatula or serving spoon you no longer need/want. There's metal in lots of things you might be throwing out... old mattress with springs, old bed frame, brackets and/or frame on most furniture, metal's everywhere, and likely has thicker stuff than those flimsy saw blades.

For poops and grins, it's neat. But I don't know what I'd use it for that I wouldn't think "This thing sure is a bitch to use"

I had one where I didn't mod the blade... I just wrapped one end with electrical tape until it was comfy enough. The novelty wore off kinda quick.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It seems like batoning is something necessary for a lot of bushcraft people. This doesn't look like it would cut the mustard.

That does seem to be the deciding test among some outdoorsman. I think in a survival situation I would be too concerned with breaking my knife and being screwed even more.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    That does seem to be the deciding test among some outdoorsman. I think in a survival situation I would be too concerned with breaking my knife and being screwed even more.

Granted, I don't do outdoors stuff as much as when younger, and when I do u usually bring the right tools, but I've never, ever, needed to baton a knife. I have used a heavy knife as am axe, but never needed to baton one. I could see how you might need to sometimes, but I usually think there are better options.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    If anyone wants to try and make a knife your more then welcome to come over and try your hand at it at my shop.

Man me and my brother would kill to give it a shot. Been working with iron since we could walk and we always talk about trying to make ourselves a knife and never do.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Where is Broussard?
    I wouldn't mind but I don't have the tools . Just let me know how much the stuff costs.
    My address is 503 burlington circle broussard 70518 if you want to google map it. It is like half a mile off Highway 90. I buy steel in bulk so it might be 5$ for a good size knife worth of steel maybe less. I have everything you could need from grinders to heat treat oven and a mill and lathe even.

Man me and my brother would kill to give it a shot. Been working with iron since we could walk and we always talk about trying to make ourselves a knife and never do.
    It is addictive. I enjoy helping others try it out. Let me know if yall ever want to coem down and try it out!

Top Bottom