$1,400 STI or $400 Tisas ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Another 200 rounds down range today with the Tisas 9mm Duty 1911. I ran two new Wilson Combat 10 round mags, the two that came with it, and a MecGar. Nothing exciting to report except one fail to extract at about round 130. That is TWO fails at this point. One the 1st outing and then this one.

The photo below is the barrel after today's trip and before cleaning. Powder Coating works.

Total round count now at 750. I think next outing I will run 250 to reach the 1 K goal.

tisas 9mm 1911 after 200 rounds of my powder coats.jpg

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Pretty much nothing in common with car assembly vs a 1911, save for the grip screws.

However, taking a 1911 apart is easy, just need to be familiar with the order of operations and the orientation of some parts.

Once you do it a few times it will be old hat.

Im sure there are plenty of vids to illustrate, and Im sure that plenty of those vids have poor lighting and some f-tard babbling on about some irrelevant bs for 10 mins before they show an out of focus or out of sight disassembly. So you may want to watch a few, before you dive in.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Pretty much nothing in common with car assembly vs a 1911, save for the grip screws.

However, taking a 1911 apart is easy, just need to be familiar with the order of operations and the orientation of some parts.

Once you do it a few times it will be old hat.

Im sure there are plenty of vids to illustrate, and Im sure that plenty of those vids have poor lighting and some f-tard babbling on about some irrelevant bs for 10 mins before they show an out of focus or out of sight disassembly. So you may want to watch a few, before you dive in.
    I've now pulled it apart several times and am confident in putting it back together correctly. Just first time is always nerve racking. Lol

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    ... plenty of those vids have poor lighting and some f-tard babbling on about some irrelevant bs for 10 mins before they show an out of focus or out of sight disassembly...
    Don't you just love you tube? BUT - there is some good informative content out there about the 1911. And you are right, it is really not that complicated to take down and put back together once you do it a few times.The really neat thing? I NEVER get tired of doing just that. I can get stupid picky about cleaning one at times.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I just not sure I would want a 9mm version of the1911 since I love the power of this calibet/frame combination. While it may make a great shooter I need to shoot one first.
    I originally wanted one because nearly everyone and every YouTube channel says it has less recoil due to weight compared to the typical polymer 9mm most are used to.

I got to shoot one after a private instruction session which we worked on proper grip, trigger control etc. I learned I had a terrible grip and working on that was needed. I'm just explaining what I went through. In no way am I saying you have any of those issues. So please don't take it that way.

As for a 1911 in 9mm, they are cheap. Go for it. I wish I would of bought a range officer in stainless in 9mm before they quit making them.

Murgatroyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2023
    Somewhere nice
    I picked up a Tisas M1911 clone in .45acp a few years ago when they first started importing them. I think I paid about $350 for it. When comparing it to my WWII Remington GI M1911, it is really well done and the only differences are that some of the small parts have clearly been made modern CNC manufacturing methods and are cleaner than originals. I've easily got 1500 rounds through it and I've never had a malfunction, and it has broken in very nicely and is still going strong. It isn't anywhere as smooth or effortless feeling as my STI, but it is a great value gun for a 1911.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Today's outing took her past the 1,000 round mark with 250 plus rounds at steel plates.

Another fail to extract very much like the other two fails.

At home, I measured the extractor tension for the 1st time. Depending on who you listen to, somewhere close to 2 lbs to a max of 4 lbs is where the tension should be. This one measured less than 1 lb on both of my scales. A bit of tweaking brought it close to 2 lbs. I will see what it does next time I take it out before I mess with the hook.

At the end of the day, yes, I think it is a good value if some one wants to get into the 9mm 1911 game.

Obligatory picture for the post is my Weigand adjustment tool and the tension gauge.

tisas extractor tension.jpg

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Yall have me convinced!
    So which Tsias 9mm am I gonna end up with.

Ideally I’d like a Stainless Duty 9mm but that configuration isn’t offered, the Night Stalker could work though I’m not the biggest fan of a rail on a 1911.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Yall have me convinced!
    So which Tsias 9mm am I gonna end up with.

Ideally I’d like a Stainless Duty 9mm but that configuration isn’t offered, the Night Stalker could work though I’m not the biggest fan of a rail on a 1911.
    I really like the Carry SS45 or the D10, but yes I love the Nightstalker but hate Rails.

Top Bottom