The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I would guess the permit will be denied. She says you are calling harrassing her. If you haven't been doing this get an attorney and demand her telephone records to prove she is lying. Build a case against her to prove she is a liar. You can either push back legally or sit there and take it. If you do nothing she wins. If she is proven a liar go after her civily.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    If you get a restraining order against you you will have to give up all your guns. No way around that. Thank mr bill Clinton for that one.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Make sure to stay on top of the court date. If you miss the court date the judge will automatically envoke the protection order.

Worst case, you get it on you be prepared to hand all your guns over to a family member who you trust to give them back once the order is lifted.

This is a serious matter and will cause lots or problems for you in the future.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    The court doesn't issue restraining orders without cause. There has to be compelling and convincing evidence to even be considered. The ramifications, under the law, are with damaging consequences. Hire an attorney and have him/her be your representative and serving agent. Get copy of your phone records, write down in a journal recalling events and contact with her including conversations and reactions.
    Her issue with your firearms appears to have a basis for her reactions. Walk like a duck? Then again, saying she wants a PPO and actually going through the process could possibly be just a threat in hopes of causing you problems at work/life.
    I understand reluctance to tell the whole story here and that is a wise decision.

Last edited:

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    The court doesn't issue restraining orders without cause. There has to be compelling and convincing evidence to even be considered. The ramifications, under the law, are with damaging consequences. Hire an attorney and have him/her be your representative and serving agent. Get copy of your phone records, write down in a journal recalling events and contact with her including conversations and reactions.
    Her issue with your firearms appears to have a basis for her reactions. Walk like a duck? Then again, saying she wants a PPO and actually going through the process could possibly be just a threat in hopes of causing you problems at work/life.
    I understand reluctance to tell the whole story here and that is a wise decision.

hes got u all figured out huh robby?...lol... :o

getting a restraining order against someone isnt as easy as it seems...like another member stated, the person filling has to have some compelling evidence...she cant just go down town and file one and its automatic...i say call her bluff and get all your sh!t together so when the court date comes she looks like a complete ass :hs: good luck bro, maybe she just wants the rod one more time :eek3:

:mamoru:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

this

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    Man, do anything you can from making court date and all listed above. what is your boss saying? Your phone records and hers is the key. I would bring the records with me to the court and make sure not to say anything until you get in front of the judge?

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I wouldn't go this alone. Lawyers can be expensive but the risk of losing your guns if she is issued the restaining order makes the investment well worth the money.

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I wouldn't go this alone. Lawyers can be expensive but the risk of losing your guns if she is issued the restaining order makes the investment well worth the money.

This, and when you bring her to court make sure you request that she pay all court costs and your attorney fees for causing you all this grief.

If you are being completely honest and she can't prove anything in court, the only thing you'll be out is the fuel you burned driving to the courthouse that morning.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I hired a lawyer this morning. He's filing a continiuance. He seems pretty confident that we can settle it out of court. He said if she won't settle that 70% of these cases where nobody's in danger end in the judge telling both parties to leave each other alone and that's it. I'm feeling pretty releived. Thanks for pushing me to get a lawyer, guys. It's money, but I'd most likely be screwed if I hadn't.

70% doesn't sound very reassuring. :(

Keep us updated! Any of us single guys (and some married) could find us right where you are at any time!

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Did y'all have any issues with the police? We get lots of people filing complaints that "just want the incident documented" and don't want to pursue charges, but they then go to the clerk of court with a stack of item cards to show "what all he/she has done to them" when seeking a restraining order.

Check with the local PD/SO to see, she could have gone to the station and "documented" some complaint and without it being assigned for investigation you wouldn't even know it until the details are being brought up in court. They may not tell you the specific nature of the complaint she made until you speak with someone up the chain, but they should at least tell you if a complaint has been made about you. If there are, ask for an appointment to speak to any investigator if one was assigned, or perhaps just have the attorney you have hired subpoena any complaints/reports.

If you lived together with her, any issues with the police can be considered under the umbrella of Domestic Violence for up to five years after you last lived together, and some departments (mine included) encourage as SOP to at minimum issue a summons if there is any sign or claim of any physical violence, including something as minor as a grab or push/pull. Not to sound like I'm indifferent to actual violence, but when people are that close in heated disputes, they tend to push away or grab and hold the other person in the midst of such encounters, and it is not always injurious or with any malicious intent to harm, but the mere reporting of such circumstances can lead to a summons or arrest for Domestic Violence which carries with it serious consequences that inhibit your freedoms more so than if you just walked up and decked your neighbor after his dog **** on your lawn. Due to potential liability for any lack of action or appearance thereof, many departments insist on strict enforcement of the laws where Domestic Violence is concerned, and depending on the prosecutor and judge the attitude of the court might align the same way.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom