10 mm or 45 acp

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunbeaux

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Boothville La.
    Colt or Kimber I have the chance to get a Colt Delta Elite in 10 mm or a Kimber in 45 acp both would be an investment and a shooter I have had a Kimber 45 but not a 10 mm I know the 45 ammo is cheaper but what would you get.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    For plinking? For carry?

If it's a range toy, get whatever you want, unless you already have a supply of either caliber, then that would be the choice I'd go with. If you're going to carry it, I'd look at other options, and not limit yourself to only two choices.

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    I have a Delta Elite and really enjoy shooting it.
    That said, my Glock 20 shoots much better than the Colt and is my go-to carry gun when I want to have a 10mm handy.
    Wouldn't even consider the Colt as a carry pistol; more like a fun novelty to me.

Guess it all comes down to what you plan on doing with the pistol and what type of shooting you like to do.
    Either pistol you mentioned should prove to be enjoyable to have.

Gunbeaux

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Boothville La.
    I also have a glock 19 for a toy with the 33 round mags but my carry gun is a Sig 938, and I have a few wheel guns I was just interested in other thought

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    IMHO. Neither of those is an "investment". Sounds like you want a 1911 and that's it something for fun rather than defense or hunting. If that is correct, put them both in your hand if at all possible, and whichever calls out your name is the winner.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Now you asked what I would get, for myself I'm partial to 22 LR , 38 special and 45 acp because I enjoy target shooting and tin can busting. Back in the early 1980's did a lot of NRA Bullseye Target shooting with these . The 45 acp is easy to reload for.
    I don't need magnum loads for my type shooting. BUT (there's always a but)....a 10mm would be fun to shoot a few rounds through and it would be just the ticket on a hog or whitetail hunt. I do have a model 58 S&W in 41 magnum , being a revolver I load the ammo down with cast bullets. 195 and 210 grain SWC's at 700 to 900 fps for shooting at targets and cans. It serves as a night-stand gun by my bed with those loads .
    If you already have a 1911 45 , a 10mm Delta Elite would be fun to play around with or hunt with.
    If you don't have a 1911 in 45 acp.....get the Kimber.....everybody that has an interest in firearms should have at least one !

John M. Browning designed it in 1911....and it is still in great demand in 2016 ....you should experience why that is so .
    Gary

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    10mm has so much flexibility. Heavy or light loaded ammo. (Heavy is a hand full!!!) easy to reload. Lots of bullets to chose from. With an after market barrel I shoot 40 S&W out of it for practice. Yes it works with same magazine and will actually work with 10mm barrel. (Glock 20) I use it as my truck and farm gun. I installed an RMR and it is so effective at increased distance (50 yards) that I might encounter on our farm property. It is fine for deer also.
    45 - great up close...

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    The most important question is: do you reload? If not 10mm is useless to you. You can buy "cheap" 10mm that is barely(if any) more stout than .40s&w, or buy the good stuff for only a second mortgage per box.
    Having hunted, shot, and handloaded lots both in 1911 the .45acp would be my choice. Easier shooting, more factory ammo and components, cheaper all around to shoot. And still plenty of energy where you need it to put down animals.
    Edited to add I love love the 10mm, especially a hard cast wfn boolit moving 1200fps.

Last edited:

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I also have a glock 19 for a toy with the 33 round mags but my carry gun is a Sig 938, and I have a few wheel guns I was just interested in other thought

I think from an "investment" perspective the Colt will be worth more down the road. But if you don't own a .45 buy the Kimber first.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La

This is an oldish thread, so I'm guessing the OP has already made his decision. But to throw in another 2 cents, if you have a 357 in one of those wheel guns, then getting a 10mm in order to have a powerful round in your arsenal is rather moot, as the 357 already gives you that. Therefore, if so that doesn't have to be a main consideration in this choice. But I assume the question is decided by now anyway.

Top Bottom