10 reasons not to talk to police

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Good point, but it also applies to castle doctrine/stand your ground.

I think there's a trial currently underway in Florida maybe that might fit the purpose of that article.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have not read the entire article but the first two sentences are incorrect.
    They may be talking to you when you are not a suspect but you may have knowledge they need.
    Many people are detained and not arrested.

REASON #1: Talking to the police CANNOT help you.

If the police are talking to you, it’s because they suspect you have committed a crime. If they have detained you, it’s because they already have enough evidence to arrest you and they want to see if you will admit it and thus, give them an even stronger case against yo
    - See more at: http://www.kirkpiccione.com/10-reasons-not-talk-police/#sthash.LPvK1aIL.dpuf

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    Since lat weeks SCOTUS decision, remaining silent can now be used in court against you. Along with speaking.as it has always been.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    To sum it up for those who STILL don't understand.
    1. Be Polite- This does NOT mean volunteer information or become a story teller.
    2. Educate yourself through legal counsel or Westlaw/LEXIS case law (NOT THE INTERNET FORUMS) before being put in a situation. (Preparation and situational awareness will save you time, money, and headaches)
    3. And for the sake of you and your family, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! ZIP-IT! Cierre la boca! Ferme ta bouche!

If a person is being detained, there is nothing they can do or say to the arresting officer to get themselves out of it so just be polite and quiet b/ everything said may be recorded.

If a person is indeed guilty, then they were stupid enough to put themselves in that situation and hopefully too stupid to understand these simple rules.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I've seen plenty of people talk their way out of arrest. There are two sides to every conflict, and if you let the other side do all the talking, and say nothing to point out the fallacies of the other side's tale, or details that point to your innocence, then you are letting someone else send you to jail. Police do not have some magical ability to see back in time, but they do have the capability to weigh the facts and evidence presented to them. If you present none for your own version, they're only left with one option to choose from.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Yes BUT, if you don't answer certain questions can't they say you are obstructing justice or an accessory to a crime?

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    If they try to charge you with that, your best bet is legal counsel! If you're not sure and stay quiet, counsel will make your case for you. Should you decide to sink your own ship and make it that much harder for the counsel you STILL had to hire, then it's your right. Look at it from an attorney's point of view. Don't you think it's easier to make a case in court when your client has not unwittingly incriminated himself/herself? Or would you rather be blindsided by a simple innocent comment that was made and incriminated your client.

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I've seen plenty of people talk their way out of arrest. There are two sides to every conflict, and if you let the other side do all the talking, and say nothing to point out the fallacies of the other side's tale, or details that point to your innocence, then you are letting someone else send you to jail. Police do not have some magical ability to see back in time, but they do have the capability to weigh the facts and evidence presented to them. If you present none for your own version, they're only left with one option to choose from.

Are we talking about simple disturbance of he said, she said? If so, and you know your innocent I see no reason why not to give your name and side of the story as long as its short and to the point. I'm sure if you keep your cool and seem educated, police would appreciate it and send both parties on their way.

If its a serious matter, I myself will keep my mouth shut!

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    The derp is getting stronger by the day...

JR1572

image.jpg

S

ShuterDon

ALWAYS have a lawyer present when talking to the police about an incident that involves you.

NEVER speak with the police without a lawyer present about an incident that involves you.

Stay apologetically silent and explain that you feel more comfortable having a lawyer present in a stressful situation such as this so that you can clearly understand the questions and give accurate answers.

You cannot be denied legal representation, either pre-arrest or post-arrest.

Top Bottom