1500lbs donated deer meat destroyed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That's not a lot of information there. The meat could have been tainted from the processing facility or they failed an inspection and had a recall. Other possibilities exist.

No doubt there is unbelievable waste by bureacratic arms of the gov. but none as bad as when Bob Odom was the Commissioner of Ag and he went on his crusade to stop the flow of Chinese crawfish and shrimp.

Thousands, yes; thousands of pounds of perfectly wholesome products in the dumpster because of a political agenda.

matt99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Shreveport
    One of the anchors commented on Facebook about it. It sounded pretty legit from what he said.

As far as Im concerned, these people eat old fries and tacos from peoples cars and garbage cans. A fried plate of backstrap couldn't be worse than that.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Last edited:

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My family owned a restaurant for many years before passing away. The store we had in Baton Rouge used to donate food to the local food bank at the end of the night. When the city found out about it, we were taxed and forced to stop. It was good food, properly handled and kept at a safe temperature. Not really sure why it matters where the food comes as long as its good, it still helps people...

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    My family owned a restaurant for many years before passing away. The store we had in Baton Rouge used to donate food to the local food bank at the end of the night. When the city found out about it, we were taxed and forced to stop. It was good food, properly handled and kept at a safe temperature. Not really sure why it matters where the food comes as long as its good, it still helps people...

Liability. Just another casualty of this greedy litigious society. You may recall, that when those dumbasses in New York (nuff said, right), were occupying Wall Street in the park nearby; they were getting food donated to them at first and then their health department shut it down. City didn't want second hand food to kill someone and somehow be held accountable.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    http://townhall.com/columnists/toddstarnes/2013/02/25/louisiana-says-homeless-cant-eat-deer-meat-n1519865/page/full/

"The controversy started when someone being fed at the rescue mission complained about being fed deer meat.

Henry Martin, executive director of the mission, told me they’ve been serving deer meat for years – from deer chili to deer spaghetti.

This was really good meat,* he said. *It’s high in protein and low in cholesterol. It’s very healthy.*

Martin said he was extremely bothered by the way state health inspectors handled the situation.

*You would think we would have due process,* he said. *But they meant to destroy the meat – that’s for sure.*

The mission’s chef asked if they could at least return the meat to the processing plant – but the state officials said no.

*They actually took it out to the dumpsters, split the packages open and poured Clorox on it,* Martin told me."

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    That's a damn shame.

So how many people who are actually hungry- and grateful for their meals- will this impact all because of one JERK? Good Lord. :dunno:

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Says they don't recognize Hunter's for the Hungry. Hopefully all hunters with extra meat will just start finding families that could use the food themselves, rather than donating it and risking this happening.

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    You show me a homeless man who is particular about not eating deer meat and I'll show you a man who's not hungry enough.

Pisses me off that just like always, 1 person ruins things for everyone else.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    [ No doubt there is unbelievable waste by bureacratic arms of the gov. but none as bad as when Bob Odom was the Commissioner of Ag and he went on his crusade to stop the flow of Chinese crawfish and shrimp.

Thousands, yes; thousands of pounds of perfectly wholesome products in the dumpster because of a political agenda. ]
    I assure you, you wouldn't eat those crawfish if you heard how they were aquatically cultivated.....Knowing the history of China's environmental issues alone !!!!! Naaaaaaaa...... I'll pass on their crawfish fo sho !!!

Last edited:

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    This story sets in stone for me that if I ever hit a deer or hog on a roadway, I will raise one hell of a mess about any LEO or Game Warden taking the animal to give to charity !!!

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    It sounds like an outpouring of attention over this story has put DHH at odds with the LA Dept of Agriculture & others. Well, it should. It was downright ridiculous to order all that food be thrown away. Hope they can come up with a solution so this never happens again. :dunno:

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Destruction-of-meat-prompts-state-officials-to-step-in/-/144844/19082714/-/rb0445/-/index.html

We are lucky to have State Rep Jeff Thompson on our side. I spoke to one of his people yesterday, and Jeff is working to make sure this does not happen again. I have donated to the Bellevue Meat program and so has Jeff. As a side note, Jeff has started the Defend La. program, and I urged them to get the word out here on Bayou Shooter. Here is a link to an article.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/01/louisiana_gun_debate_state_law.html

Last edited:
    Top Bottom