1911 45acp suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    Hey guys I am back for suggestions for a top quality 1911. Budget will be around 2-3000 maybe a little more. Want a high end 1911. I know what's out there but many shops don't carry these guns. Does anybody have a Wilson les or nighthawk. Any feed back helpful. Been saving a while and want the right gun.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Team looked into Sti looks like a well built pistol. Just didn't like the fact that they use a composite trigger instead of aluminum.

The lighter trigger apparently a way to make the trigger pull better. Have you heard of any problems with them? I'll freely admit I'm not the most knowledgable guy on 1911's, so my not having heard anything isn't an indication it doesn't exist.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    My nephew had a STI 1911 in 9mm, a Spartan I believe. He liked the gun, but ended up going back to Glock.

I've shot it, but I don't recall anything in particular about it. I know the magazine well bevel part came off and he had to send it somewhere to be put back on.

As to the reliability, or performance, I don't recall him mentioning anything negative.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    For that budget I'd say go a bit more and get a Nighthawk. Used to have a Larry Vickers (now they're the Enforcer model). Beautiful pistol. You won't regret it.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    In that price range Wilson, Les Baer and Ed Brown are often recommended and as mentioned above for a little more Nighthawk is often recommended.
    The true custom 1911's cost more $$$$$.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    In that price range Wilson, Les Baer and Ed Brown are often recommended and as mentioned above for a little more Nighthawk is often recommended.
    The true custom 1911's cost more $$$$$.

This is pure truth right here^^^^ Based on my person experience with all four, both shooting and selling on the retail end, I would do any but an Ed Brown. My experience has been their finishes are not what they should be on a ~$3K pistol and customer service left me with much to be desired.

I would throw in the Springfield TRP with the FBI Custom Shop package if it is still available and you are willing to wait for it or the Custom Shop Professional.

Does nighthawk have the same guarentee as Wilson being the 1" group at 25 yds.

They don't publish an "accuracy guarantee" as I recall, but the guns will shot better than most shooters are capable of. I have seen NH test targets at sub 1" several times. I'm sure you could email them and ask, but a quick check of their web site and I didn't see anything.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Big Wilson fan. I bought one in 45acp, then found one in .38 Super. Both used guns a friend of mine was selling (to buy more Wilson Combat guns). I love them. WC has awesome customer service if you need it, and they don't care how many people have owned the gun, 'warranty' follows the gun.

As far as accuracy, I got a test target for my .45 in the case. I can't shoot near as well.

I have also shot Ed Browns, VERY nice as well. Don't have any hands on experience with the others you mentioned.

Attachments

• Test Target.jpg
      Test Target.jpg
      198.8 KB · Views: 106
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I have several NH's, a Dan Wesson, GunCrafter Ind, Colts, Kimbers, and others. They ALL shoot better than me but the NH's are really nice. That being said, I have shot friend's Wilsons, Ed B's, STI's and more and I can't tell a lot of difference in the high end pieces. (Looking back at my post, "several NH's" says which I like the best, I guess.)

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    I have several NH's, a Dan Wesson, GunCrafter Ind, Colts, Kimbers, and others. They ALL shoot better than me but the NH's are really nice. That being said, I have shot friend's Wilsons, Ed B's, STI's and more and I can't tell a lot of difference in the high end pieces. (Looking back at my post, "several NH's" says which I like the best, I guess.)
    That's what I thought hard to tell difference between big 3 Wilson nighthawk and les. The Dan Wessons I heard are pretty damn good for their price point also STI

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    Big Wilson fan. I bought one in 45acp, then found one in .38 Super. Both used guns a friend of mine was selling (to buy more Wilson Combat guns). I love them. WC has awesome customer service if you need it, and they don't care how many people have owned the gun, 'warranty' follows the gun.

As far as accuracy, I got a test target for my .45 in the case. I can't shoot near as well.

I have also shot Ed Browns, VERY nice as well. Don't have any hands on experience with the others you mentioned.

What is their warranty exactly.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I don't know how true it is but I heard the Ed Browns finish quality is not that good lately. Meaning bad finishes on frames and slides.

I bought mine 5 or so years ago. If true I'm sorry to hear that. Mine is tight, finish is flawless and it is very accurate.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Last edited:

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    Well, have heard it said it is a customer service. I spoke with the gunsmith that is in charge of QC, and he says lifetime, follows the gun.

I was told even though I bought the gun used, they will take care of it if it has problems.

Here is what WC says: http://wilsoncombat.com/new/customer-service-policy.asp
    That's good. I read on nighthawk site their warranty is only 5 years and it's limited.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Lifetime awesome customer service with WC. And, as I said, I am a fan, so not an impartial voice. But, have met a lot of them, been to their factory, and was impressed. Only shot some older Ed Browns, but they were sweet as heck as well.

WC, Ed Brown, Les Baer, don't think you could go wrong. Heard good about Nighthawk, but have no experience with them. Will leave that for NH owners to talk about.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom