1911 Gunsmith?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eagle359

AARP Newbie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Terrytown, LA
    I have a SA TRP with the ambi-safety that I would like replaced with the single safety. Are there any 1911 gunsmiths that you have used or would recommend in the New Orleans area?

Thanks,

John

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    In NOLA, I'd go with Morey (sp?) at 10-8 Tactical. He could manage that very easily. I've seen a lot of his hand fitting, which is vastly more difficult and time consuming, and I've always been impressed.

Plus, he's hilarious.

Is he at 10-8 still? They have very little stock right now; the place is almost bare. The word is they are "restructuring."

There's also Roy Schmidt in Metairie, but I lost his number. I'm sure someone here has it. He built a lot of race guns in the day from what I understand, and he did some serious custom work on a Colt Commander for me a while back.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Is he at 10-8 still? They have very little stock right now; the place is almost bare. The word is they are "restructuring."

There's also Roy Schmidt in Metairie, but I lost his number. I'm sure someone here has it. He built a lot of race guns in the day from what I understand, and he did some serious custom work on a Colt Commander for me a while back.

I... think so, anyway. I haven't been in there in years.

I called the other day to see if they had a micro drive hex key for a Vanek trigger kit. The guy who answered said it would be in the gunsmith room, and he was gone for the day. I asked, "Morey's not the there, then? I know him." And I wasn't corrected.

Not sure what that means, but... I took it to mean that I wasn't mistaken?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    It's a type of allen wrench that loosely describes a fairly wide range of sizes. They are most common for model airplanes and cars and such, from my research into the subject. I believe they are also (rarely these days) used in other electronics, jewelry and watches.

I couldn't tell you the exact size; the wrench is typically included in the kit, and JBP sent me one of his spares because he's so awesome. I knew however if I asked for the general type and told Morey what it was for, he'd know right away what I needed.

Top Bottom