1st time going to honey island, couple questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Weather permitting, I'm planning on taking 2-4 friends out to honey island this saturday to teach them to shoot. Having not been to the range before, I just wanted to ask a couple questions before going out there.

Would there be any issue with 3 of them hanging back behind the lane while I rotated one of them into the lane at a time to shoot?
    I assume it's fine to put up sticky peelback targets on the pistol range backboards?

How is range hot/cold managed?

Any particular/peculiar rules I need to be aware of? (I'm aware of the need for everyone to have a hunting/fishing permit)

Thank you in advance! Want to make sure their first time isn't soured for any reason

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Make sure range is open this weekend it rained a ton and the area is prone to flooding...... Go to the website and call the number as well because that is the most accurate info. Also make sure you have the right times I believe they are on summer hours now but I am not sure.

The range officers are all volunteers and very friendly I would let them know your intentions and that they are first time shooters.

Hot/Cold is announced. When cold no going in front of designated red line or touching of firearms/ammo. Very professional with very clear instructions.

No problems with sticky peelback targets and they have staplers at the range which you can use.

In regards to the permit. The cheapest option is a WMA stamp which is a couple of bucks. Also the range fee is 6 bucks cash and they have ear plugs as well as eye protection.

Have fun be safe and if you want to have some real fun they installed new skeet throwers that are a blast. 2 bucks per 25 shells and a ton of fun.

Weather permitting, I'm planning on taking 2-4 friends out to honey island this saturday to teach them to shoot. Having not been to the range before, I just wanted to ask a couple questions before going out there.

Would there be any issue with 3 of them hanging back behind the lane while I rotated one of them into the lane at a time to shoot?
    I assume it's fine to put up sticky peelback targets on the pistol range backboards?

How is range hot/cold managed?

Any particular/peculiar rules I need to be aware of? (I'm aware of the need for everyone to have a hunting/fishing permit)

Thank you in advance! Want to make sure their first time isn't soured for any reason

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Thanks a bunch for all the info - think that cleared up everything I had in mind! I checked the website, and the river seemed to be several feet below flooding, but I'll make sure to call before we actually head out. Thanks for the info about the clay throwers - I do have a couple hundred rounds of shot laying around. Maybe I'll bring the shotgun in case they're up for giving it a go.

rfg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    independence,la
    that is my favorite range. if you have a question while there the R.O.'s are usually very nice and knowlageable about firearms. happy blasting!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Make sure range is open this weekend it rained a ton and the area is prone to flooding...... Go to the website and call the number as well because that is the most accurate info. Also make sure you have the right times I believe they are on summer hours now but I am not sure.

The range officers are all volunteers and very friendly I would let them know your intentions and that they are first time shooters.

Hot/Cold is announced. When cold no going in front of designated red line or touching of firearms/ammo. Very professional with very clear instructions.

No problems with sticky peelback targets and they have staplers at the range which you can use.

In regards to the permit. The cheapest option is a WMA stamp which is a couple of bucks. Also the range fee is 6 bucks cash and they have ear plugs as well as eye protection.

Have fun be safe and if you want to have some real fun they installed new skeet throwers that are a blast. 2 bucks per 25 shells and a ton of fun.

That covers about everything. They sell some targets and earplugs out there, but that's it. Bring anything else you need...ammo snacks drinks bug spray etc.

Also don't forget to stop and fill out the check-in card in the way in/out.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Thank you all for the help. We did get to go out there today, and it was great. Every RSO there was wonderful. Tallow creek will be seeing not a penny more of my money, Honey Island is WELL worth the drive

Thanks again!

Top Bottom