20" AR woes.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ragincajun1919

Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Sep 23, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    I'm just finishing up my 16" Mega/Noveske build AR, now I want to look at a 20" AR. I currently have one as an A2, so I need to decide whether to just slap a flattop on that rifle or just buy a new upper for the rifle and have a DD 12 rail on it and flattop with eotech.

I was planning to buy a Colt A3 flattop, but after some searching realized they don't sell one with a government profile barrel, only HBAR and all with no Flashhider. I want basically an M16a4 configuration, but they don't offer it.

Then my next idea was Sabre Defence, since they are a military contractor, but it sucks that more places don't make a good 20"

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Because I just don't like having what everyone else has.... plus I REALLLY wanted a Colt, but secondary options would be a DoD contractor like Sabre

So you'd NOT buy the best components for the money just because "everyone else" has them? What grade are you in? 7th? :rofl:

BTW, while a lot of educated folks here and on other forums do buy BCM, I'd bet realistically only 2-3% of AR owners have them. In fact, a lot more people own Colts than BCM.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I love mine from Bravo company with govenment profile. I origialy had eotech but pulled it off for detachable carry handle with match sights. I didn't like the co-witness and honestly after training for 12 plus years at 300 m pop ups with iron sights anything else feels silly and a waste of money. but mine is exactly like m16a4 in feel and balance that much I promise. Everone that picks up my rifle wishes they had gov profile instead of thiers.

ragincajun1919

Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Sep 23, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    I'm gonna piece it together I think. I have a spare upper and DD 12in FF rail. It's not that BCM isn't great, it's just that there are other brands available and I'd rather go with them.

So you'd NOT buy the best components for the money just because "everyone else" has them? What grade are you in? 7th? :rofl:

BTW, while a lot of educated folks here and on other forums do buy BCM, I'd bet realistically only 2-3% of AR owners have them. In fact, a lot more people own Colts than BCM.

I'd MUCH rather prefer a Colt, but they don't make a 20" Government Profile, only HBAR.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Actually Colt DOES make a 20" government profile barrel. I've seen the barrel assemblies and complete rifles for sale, never a complete upper though. Not sure if they offered them with an A3 flat top, most I've seen were A2 uppers.

If you already have an upper and rail, sounds like just building the upper is the way to go. You could look around for a Colt, or if you went with an 18" barrel (SPR) you'd open up a lot of options for barrel assemblies from other manufacturers (Daniel Defense, BCM, etc).

ragincajun1919

Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Sep 23, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    Well, I'm kinda set on 20" because I just built a Noveske Recon(16") upper. so an 18" doesn't seem like any different, plus I don't want to build SPR because I'd have to buy MORE glass than I already did.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What's the difference between building a rifle with 20" barrel and 18" barrel? You don't have to build an "SPR" just because you use an 18" barrel. Actually, I don't understand what you're building at all. A 20" rifle with rail and Eotech?

ragincajun1919

Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Sep 23, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    DD-10003-2T.jpg

that with an eotech and magnifier instead of acog

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I guess I will be poo in the punch guy; the M16A4 which it looks like you are trying to clone, as carried by the USMC has a 18" Barrel with a 1 and 3/4 Inch Flash Hider. Good luck with your project.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom