2016 Fitness Goals

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I can't believe you can't do a muscle up yet you can snatch over 200. I can link quite a few muscle ups, but can barely get a 170 snatch...

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

Learn to read, noob. :p Those are goals. My max snatch is only a few pounds over yours. :rofl:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Any good links for a workout plan and instructions on exercises and form? I've been doing nearly the same routine for a while now and I've seen some people doing stuff I'd like to try, but I'm not really sure how to do them. For one, I've never squatted or deadlifted or any of that.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Any good links for a workout plan and instructions on exercises and form? I've been doing nearly the same routine for a while now and I've seen some people doing stuff I'd like to try, but I'm not really sure how to do them. For one, I've never squatted or deadlifted or any of that.
    You really should get with q coach or trainer for a few weeks. With crossfit, every session is with a coach. Learning to do stuff correctly is important.

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA

Find some good youtube guides. Plenty out there, just sort through the junk.

Athlean-X
    Alan Thrall
    Buff Dudes
    Etc...

Start with the basics and proper form. The rest will follow.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Guess I will (sheepishly) jump in here with all you hard core guys and tell you what this old guy is up to trying to keep some kind of body strength. I had been doing just the machine circuit reps until now and getting too bored with it, as well as having a hard time with being so tall using them. The OP mentioned the Stronglift 5X5 program so I checked into it. So far, so good! Might be exactly what I have been looking for. The iPhone app makes it pretty fool proof and keeping track of tangible results is helping me alot. Concentrating on form more than anything right now but looks like this will take you anywhere you want to (or can) go. I am 60yrs old, 6'9" tall and 212lbs. May not be lifting much these days, but I can tell you getting old ain't for sissys all by itself! Appreciate the info.

Last edited:

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Find some good youtube guides. Plenty out there, just sort through the junk.

Athlean-X
    Alan Thrall
    Buff Dudes
    Etc...

Start with the basics and proper form. The rest will follow.

What? No BroScience? J/k....

AthleanX has some really good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

What is functional strength? Look for the answer from the Bros.

AthleanX is one I like. Elliot Hulse has some good info (yo elliot) - I could do without some of his musings and less cursing - but he does have some good info. What I tend to do is look at a few guys to check info from multiple sources.

I am on my own - no gym etc.
    Goal this year is more lower body & more cardio

In a similar mode as Tallwalker just a tad younger. Some major considerations are not injuring ones self and flexibility. I am already having to combat some injuries. I see flexibility & mobility as concerns when aging.

Last edited:

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't just jump into BroScience. Brains would melt and biceps explode from the insane gains from everydayisarmdayroutine.

I'll agree on the injuring yourself deal. Last year when I first really was getting back into working out, I seriously screwed my neck. Couldn't move for about a week. That's why I suggested proper form and going slow.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'll agree on the injuring yourself deal. Last year when I first really was getting back into working out, I seriously screwed my neck. Couldn't move for about a week. That's why I suggested proper form and going slow.

How long did it take to get 100%

To quote Spanky: Progress.
    I guess I would have to add: Patience
    I figure on longer term & sustainability now. Backtracking from an injury is bad and as some of you know doesn't get easier as we get older. Hopefully getting smarter offsets some of the age downside. I strive for good form and full range of motion. Light weight if need be. I do everything with no weight and light - medium weight. There will always be plenty of people moving more weight than me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom