2018 F250 6.2 V8 Noise

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xeon64

Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I am trying to identify this weird choppy noise. It is not the dreaded 6.2 tick from the intake manifold. The truck only has 30,000 mi on it. Wondering if I need to replace the fan belt or if it's possibly bearings. Anyone have any idea does not sound right. Only sounds like this when the truck warms up does not do it when the engine's cold.

Video of the Noise

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Take some silicone spray and spray belt inside and out with it running and see if noise changes or goes away. If noise persist take off belt and see if any pulley or accessory feels rough when turning. If noise is still there take a mechanic's stethoscope and try and locate noise wit it. Fords are prone to being noisy my friend, sorry.

Xeon64

Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Well I did the test for the intake manifold and it still makes the noise. I hate to bring it to a mechanic because I have never had a mechanic in 30 years ever fix a noise problem. I get that they can not hear it or can not duplicate it.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    We had one of our recent buys as a work truck and ended up with a new short block being put in the truck.
    It was a 2019
    Started as a low end knock.

Xeon64

Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    We had one of our recent buys as a work truck and ended up with a new short block being put in the truck.
    It was a 2019
    Started as a low end knock.
    If I got to replace the motor this will be the last Ford I ever own. This is my fifth Ford vehicle in my life and I'm recently coming from a GMC that I got in a wreck with and found this truck from a family member as a great deal. I swore I was never going to go back to Ford because I have had nothing but problems with all of the Fords I've owned and that GMC truck had zero problems. Could have just been luck with the GMC I don't know. I don't want to get in the tit for tat about GMC versus Ford but from the one GMC that I owned, I had none of the problems that I had with my Fords.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    All the above post offer solid suggestions.
    If it was mine and it was not a belt or belt driven component generating the sound my next move would be to inspect the oil for metal shavings. Grab a glossy black oil or antifreeze jug and with the engine running pull the dipstick then deposit some oil on the bottle. Tilt the bottle to make the oil move. Take a brite azz flash light and look for metal shavings. If you see shavings a "fun" test is to put a magnet by it and see if any shavings are pulled out of the oil. It's a depressing test. It was always worse having to share this with the vehicle owner.
    Now the crazy shite is I have seen some very sparkly oil and the engine just kept delivering miles after miles. That always left me with unanswered questions.
    I seem to remember reading the 6.2 having some bearing failures.
    good luck with it.

Last edited:

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Feb 20, 2013
    seems to be common with the 6.2L

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    If I got to replace the motor this will be the last Ford I ever own. This is my fifth Ford vehicle in my life and I'm recently coming from a GMC that I got in a wreck with and found this truck from a family member as a great deal. I swore I was never going to go back to Ford because I have had nothing but problems with all of the Fords I've owned and that GMC truck had zero problems. Could have just been luck with the GMC I don't know. I don't want to get in the tit for tat about GMC versus Ford but from the one GMC that I owned, I had none of the problems that I had with my Fords.
    They gave us a lifetime warranty warranty on the motor as long as we owned the truck after the issues we had with this one.

A lemon is possible with any manufacturer
    How they rectify the problem goes a long way with me.

Bigchillin83

Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    One of my best trucks was a Dodge. 1984 Ram Prospector with a 318. That truck had over 300 thousand miles on it before it died. Original Engine and Transmission. My luck since that truck has been terrible.
    Haaa lol my first truck was an 1985 dodge ram with the 318… it was a beast!! Prob one of my best trucks I’ve ever owned also, it was my daddy’s truck, passed down to my brother, then to me.. if it made it through 2 teenagers.. you know it was tough!!!

Abby Normal

Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Yeah those Fords just don’t last!
    My work truck 3.5
    EAD1A43A-B552-4EBD-89C0-99754D18A5E1.jpeg

pangris1

Gold Member
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    In all seriousness my business partner has a 6.2 F250 and is closing in on 300,000. I've got over 300k on a 2002 7.3 Excursion. They all have fleas. Its like saying "My gun never jams"... that tells me you haven't run it hard in compromising situations across a high round count.

Top Bottom