.22 Handgun for self defense?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    My philosophy is, while a .22 probably will not kill an attacker, it probably will stop the attack.

The key word here is, "probably".

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    My philosophy is, while a .22 probably will not kill an attacker, it probably will stop the attack.

The key word here is, "probably".

Doesn't have a lot of knock down power as other calibers, but if i were attacking someone and started hearing gunshots i wouldnt stick around to find out what caliber lol.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    knock down power as other calibers, .

That is about the most in-accurate word used in gun slang IMO, Simple Physics tell us that every action has an equal reaction, that means if a caliber had indeed enough power to put somebody on their azz it would have enough power to put the person shooting it on their azz as well since its the same force in opposite direction ..........

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    That is about the most in-accurate word used in gun slang IMO, Simple Physics tell us that every action has an equal reaction, that means if a caliber had indeed enough power to put somebody on their azz it would have enough power to put the person shooting it on their azz as well since its the same force in opposite direction ..........

+1 I studied a lot of Physics in preschool. Guate makes a good point.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I'm not sure I would trust a 22lr in an auto, it seems 22lr has to many FTF. Now in a revolver I think I would be ok with it still not preferred though.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana

Thats what i have always understood it as. If you tell me the right word or give me some education ill make sure i read up :). Either way i think you got the idea of what i was talking about even though i didn't use the right terminolgy like calling a magazine a clip ya know?

Also not an attacker just giving my thought if someone is shooting at me or around (other than the range) i wouldn't stick around i would be running away quickly.

Last edited:

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I have posed this question on another forum and was slammed. I think the argument breaks down even before it gets started. Anybody who has shot 22lr knows that no matter how good the gun you will eventually get a dud round. Now, I have not tried really high priced 22lr ammo but from all the different ones I have tried there is the inevitable dud. So, how confident can you feel knowing that the next round in your magazine could be that dud round and your are left with a fancy rock in your hand to throw. And, based on what the bad guys seem to be doing these days they may not be frightened off by the sound of a .22.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I have posed this question on another forum and was slammed. I think the argument breaks down even before it gets started. Anybody who has shot 22lr knows that no matter how good the gun you will eventually get a dud round. Now, I have not tried really high priced 22lr ammo but from all the different ones I have tried there is the inevitable dud. So, how confident can you feel knowing that the next round in your magazine could be that dud round and your are left with a fancy rock in your hand to throw. And, based on what the bad guys seem to be doing these days they may not be frightened off by the sound of a .22.

The CCI mini mags are 100x more reliable, I still think I would be weary of it in an auto though.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHXzX8T5ew&list=FLAEGYqlIw5w_t2fGTH_sNmQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video

.22lr from a pistol defeats a human scull model? how close to the real thing is that model? i do not know but last gator season i tested my s&w 22a(.22lr pistol with 5" barrel). i shoot the scull plate(bigger target) on the gator, not the soft spot. i loaded with federal round nose plain lead. first gator was about 6', took 3 shots to stop. next gator was 7'+, took 6 shots to stop.

at this point i loaded with my favorite, wal mart federal 550 bulk hollow point. next 6 gators where between 7 and 9'. one needed 2 shots to scull all others where 1 shot stops. i noticed much more bleeding with the federal hp. im guessing the round has plenty enough power to penetrate the scull then enters as its breaking up and spreads in all directions of the brain.

then we came to an almost 13' gator on the line and i didn't realize its size. it was under grass. i see part of the scull and shoot, it would just fight harder. after i realized the size i pulled the s&w model 29 .44mag called "dirty harry" and ended the fight.

i also took out a gator about 7' with my north american .22 mag sub 2" barrel. instant stop to the scull plate but i took some tiny lead and bone in the hand.

would the new ruger sr22 3.5" barrel penetrate a human scull? i think it would. im a pretty good shot but i can't depend on head shots under high stress. what if the bad guy trying to kill you is 6 foot tall, 250+ lbs, muscled up gangsta? is he alone? most likely not. i think i just talked myself into ccw my .44 mag. if only men could wear a purse.

besides ccw a .44 mag which isn't realistic for me, the glock 19 is the only choice. gold dots penetrate almost 18 inches!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2s82NCLKQI

plus the fact that i can carry an extra 33 round mag and the 9mm is cheaper to practice with puts the glock 19 above all other choices. ALL OF THEM. plus isn't the glock 19 the most reliable tool on the planet earth?

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I think the post was more related to stopping a human bad guy than an alligator or a water buffalo. I think most people would agree that a .22 has killed more critters in America than any other caliber.

However, my first choice would be a 44 Mag. with HP's, but in a survival condition, a .22 would still be an effective weapon in the hands of an experienced shooter.

Apples and oranges.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I carry an naa mini .22lr as a bug. It's so small that it's virtually invisible. It's not the best man stopper out there, but it will do the job.
    As far as ammo, last year I fired 5 bricks(500rds) of wolf gold medal match, without a single dud. I also fired a brick of the aguilia SSS 60 gr without a dud.
    I carry both in my mini, and I do trust my life that they will go bang.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom