22 pistol questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcw85

Hotter than a $2 pistol
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thibodaux, LA
    I'm looking to get a 22 pistol soon just for plinking around. I'm not sure which direction to go. At first I was looking at the bersa 22 but read that it has feeding problems as well as the walther p-22. As for as DA revolvers Taurus seems like they have a couple of good ones, but I have very little experience with them. I have shot Rugers before and liked it but I want something a little different. I'm trying to keep it under $350 and no SA's. If anyone has any experience with any of these let me know how it worked out

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I don't have any experience with the pistols you listed, however i have a buck mark and a rugar mark 3 and they are both awsome to go plinking with. I did a good bit of research before i ended up buying those two. As im sure you have done as well i picked two best that suited me, and from others experiences never seemed to have very many if at all any issues.

Hope this helps.

And good luck with finding a nice plinker. :)

Last edited:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I know what you mean about wanting something different but honestly when it comes down to .22 pistols it's ruger or a comprimise. And listen right now I'm telling you not to buy a sig mosquito as everyone I know that has one including me has had nothing but problems with sigs little turd attempt to make a .22.... There I told you so thats off my chest.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    As a dyed-in-the-wool Ruger owner, I can't say or see anything bad about them. I had a Buckmark and liked it except for it was a massive PITA to cock if you had a misfire or something that required pulling that almost-smooth slide back. The Rugers are easier to cock in this circumstance and are quite accurate and durable guns. Add the fact that you can modify them many ways and make a great firearm even better and you have a winner!

If price is the only factor, I'd suggest just spend a bit more (if you have to...) and get an inexpensive MkIII Ruger. The Standard models in 3" and 6"' (my favorite) are pretty reasonably priced.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I know what you mean about wanting something different but honestly when it comes down to .22 pistols it's ruger or a comprimise. And listen right now I'm telling you not to buy a sig mosquito as everyone I know that has one including me has had nothing but problems with sigs little turd attempt to make a .22.... There I told you so thats off my chest.

That's good to know, I was under the impression that the Sigs were GTG. Did you try it with high-quality ammo or just bulk pack?

Phoenix 6.0

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    i love my buckmark. awesome gun. and mine is easy to cock. only FTFs i have had have been ammo related.

they must have changed the slide from when you shot one Robhic. mine is easy to cock.

belmor

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Monroe
    I am going to buck the trend, I have several .22's but one of the best bang for the buck is my Smith and Wesson 22A, it has been very reliable and is easy to takedown for cleaning. I am getting ready to change the grips and convert it to a bull barrel with hi-viz sights but it shoots great right out of the box.

~B~

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    That's good to know, I was under the impression that the Sigs were GTG. Did you try it with high-quality ammo or just bulk pack?
    I tried several high quality types of ammo . It was sent back to sig twice . Second time it came back it was sold with full disclosure. The 2 guys that bought with me both have had issues. Mine it seemed that the actual machine work with slide to frame fit was off considerable amount. I'm no gun dummy by any means but it would not run. I bought the ruge 22/45 while it was gone the second time and never even shot it upon second return.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    i love my buckmark. awesome gun. and mine is easy to cock. only FTFs i have had have been ammo related.

they must have changed the slide from when you shot one Robhic. mine is easy to cock.

+1

I used mine(buckmark camper) to deter an armodillo that was destroying my backyard just the other evening! Mine also very easy to cock, no issues whatsoever:}

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Ruger Ruger Ruger

YES YES YES
    gunapprasial002-1.jpg

Ive played with a couple of Buckmarks but Im loyal to my Rugers.
    Stay away from a Mosquito
    Rugers 101 seems pretty decent, Id shy away from Taurus.
    Ive looked at the 1911 framed .22s and unless you get an old school Colt Ace the new ones are pretty much the same with different names painted on.(Which isnt a bad thing, Ive read positive reviews of most.)

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    The Ruger SP101's are nice guns but they quit making the 6 shooter models and they are 500 on up so might as well get a new one that's a 10 8 shot for $550.
    Go with a Ruger 22/45 or Mark 3 or a Mark 2 (preferable) or the Buckmark.
    The S&W is a good gun also and even the Beretta Neos. I'd rather have an all steel pistol.
    I wouldn't recommend any pot metal guns like the Walther or Skeeter.
    Tar-asses need not apply either with their Lifetime of sending it back for repair at $60 a pop for overnite shipping.
    S&W's have outstanding warranties and they will send you a shipping box for free.
    Ruger's have outstanding warranties also. i don't know about the Brownings but you shouldn't have any problems with any of these 3.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom