22LR Pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • graymo2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    New Orleans/ Baton Rouge
    I'm looking to get a 22LR pistol just for practice. I'm in college right now, so money is tight. However, I want a quality weapon and I'm thinking about a Mark III. My questions are:

1) Does anyone think I should get a different gun?

2) With the Ruger, Which barrel length should I go with? Does a flutted barrel make that big of a difference?

I was thinking a 6 7/8 tapered barrel from galleryofguns.com

Any input would be helpful.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I have a S&W 22LR and love it. It is not picky with ammo but tends to jam a few times out of every hundred rounds.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    S&W K-22 . NEVER jams . Unbelievably accurate . :D

:confused:

I have the http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14715&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15710&isFirearm=Y
    and while amazingly accurate for a 22 pistol, it does jam for some reason. I keep it nice and lubed and clean after every outing. Maybe it just doesn't like the ammo that I have been shooting. I just chalked it up to having thousands of rounds down the barrel.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Stay away from the walther p22s
    Why???

I was hesitant when I purchased a P22 almost 3 weeks ago now after reading all this P22 trashing on the internets, and it has not had ONE failure, and I am approaching 800+ rounds through it, and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite toys. 1 525 round Fed Value pack, and a zip lock bag full of mixed rounds, including Rem Thunderbolt, CCI mini mags, Fed blue box (LRN), winchester wildcats, and Im sure some others. Walther (S&W) has fixed the bugs from the initial P22's from a couple years ago.

as for the Buckmark, yes I have one of those too, and it is a SUPERB pistol. Very reliable, very very accurate, just didnt want to spend the money for an aftermarket threaded barrel, so I got the P22 instead.

I dont have any personal experience with the Ruger .22 pistols, as I didnt care for the grip angle, but I hear they are very good as well.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Walthers are known for the brittle metal they are made with, unreliable after any kind of drop or abuse. I love the design but the metal scares the **** out of me.

If you have a 1911 or a Glock there are .22lr conversions for them that work well.

if not...check into what these guys say b/c I dont have a .22lr pistol yet. :)

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Walthers are known for the brittle metal they are made with, unreliable after any kind of drop or abuse. I love the design but the metal scares the **** out of me.

I have seen pictures of cracked slides on the P22's, but in each case had the 5" barrel and compensator on the end. the general consensus is that the slide is coming in contact w/ the compensator, and that is what causes the cracking. Also, Walther (S&W) has replaced the whole pistol w/ a new one in the cases I found while researching the P22. I'll be sure to let the board know if I run into any problems with mine.

I'll also post a report on the Sig Mosquito, when I finally get a day off work and can run a Fed VP through it.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    :confused:

I have the http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14715&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15710&isFirearm=Y
    and while amazingly accurate for a 22 pistol, it does jam for some reason. I keep it nice and lubed and clean after every outing. Maybe it just doesn't like the ammo that I have been shooting. I just chalked it up to having thousands of rounds down the barrel.

THIS K-22 http://www.flickr.com/photos/szuppo/2222484852/

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I've got a Ruger MKIII Hunter, and I enjoy it. It's in the fluted 6 7/8" flavor.

The sights are the size of a mid/large sized cow. Don't plan on consistently nailing a bullseye at 50 yards without the use of optics.

I've put approx 4000 rounds through it, and have yet to have any malfunctions.

The only complaints I've got is that it's a BITCH to take apart your first few times, the retarded magazine disconnect, and the big ass sights.

If you get one, you will enjoy it.

DAVE

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I have seen pictures of cracked slides on the P22's, but in each case had the 5" barrel and compensator on the end. the general consensus is that the slide is coming in contact w/ the compensator, and that is what causes the cracking. Also, Walther (S&W) has replaced the whole pistol w/ a new one in the cases I found while researching the P22. I'll be sure to let the board know if I run into any problems with mine.

I'll also post a report on the Sig Mosquito, when I finally get a day off work and can run a Fed VP through it.

I'm glad to hear that, I really like the design and feel of the P22's.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I've got a Ruger MKIII Hunter, and I enjoy it. It's in the fluted 6 7/8" flavor.

The sights are the size of a mid/large sized cow. Don't plan on consistently nailing a bullseye at 50 yards without the use of optics.

I've put approx 4000 rounds through it, and have yet to have any malfunctions.

The only complaints I've got is that it's a BITCH to take apart your first few times, the retarded magazine disconnect, and the big ass sights.

If you get one, you will enjoy it.

DAVE

Dave, you need to see if the old mkII iron front sight will work on the mkIII's
    Fiber opitcs are great and I love them. I have a F O front sight on my 1911 steel plate gun, BUT they ain't worth crap for bullseye work.

I have a Ruger MKII Goverment Competition. I love it. Its a great gun.

Art

Last edited:
    Top Bottom