2nd grader sent home for tribute to soldiers!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    Glad the boy got some positive support and recognition after all! Damn liberals!:mad:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/06/ap_soldier_hat_medal_061810/

Boy who made toy soldier hat awarded medal

The Associated Press
    Posted : Friday Jun 18, 2010 16:49:01 EDT

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A Rhode Island boy whose school banned a hat he made because the toy soldiers on it carried tiny guns was awarded a medal on Friday for his patriotic efforts.

Retired Lt. Gen. Reginald Centracchio, the former head of the Rhode Island National Guard, gave 8-year-old David Morales a medal called a challenge coin during an appearance on WPRO-AM’s John DePetro show.

Centracchio said the second-grader should be thanked for recognizing veterans and soldiers.

“You did nothing wrong, and you did an outstanding job,” he said. “We can only hope that kids of your caliber will continue to defend this country.”

Centracchio also gave David a certificate that allows him to call himself a brigadier general.

David was assigned to make a hat last week for a project at the Tiogue School in Coventry. He chose a patriotic theme and glued plastic Army figures to a camouflage baseball cap. But school officials said the hat ran afoul of their no-weapons policy because the Army men held tiny guns.

The school has said David was offered the chance to wear the hat if he replaced the toy soldiers holding weapons with ones that didn’t have any. Centracchio said that didn’t make sense because soldiers are armed, and met with school administrators Thursday to share his concerns.

David said he felt great and called it an honor.

“I think it’s really special,” he said. “I’m going to definitely enjoy this day for a long time.”

Also Friday, the Rhode Island chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union said it sent a letter to Coventry Superintendent Kenneth DiPietro saying the school’s policy was an unconstitutional violation of students’ free speech. It called on the district to revise the policy.

DiPietro did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Also Friday, the Rhode Island chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union said it sent a letter to Coventry Superintendent Kenneth DiPietro saying the school’s policy was an unconstitutional violation of students’ free speech. It called on the district to revise the policy.

When the ACLU is against what you did you know you went too far. There will never be a shortage of stupidity in the world. I'm surprised about the thing in TX though I don't know where that town is. I was glad to hear the second part of the story so thanks for adding that.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    "The American soldier is armed. That's why they're called the armed forces," said Centracchio. "If you're going to portray it any other way, you miss the point."

SO much this ^^^^^^^

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'm so glad it appears that this is gaining national news and state reaction in support of the little boy. I'm a little paranoid over the idea of my son going to school and playing cowboys or soldiers. This may lead him to being suspended or expelled. However I refuse to teach him these games are wrong and dangerous.

Maybe we're making a dent in recognizing the thoughts over the last ten or fifteen years aren't in our country's best interest.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    CS: Toy soldiers will more than likely be in TS3. We were at Disney Hollywood Studios last month and their Blockparty Parade featuring Pixar characters were "led" by toy soldiers. Each float had a soldier that encouraged crowd participation while the characters (Ants, Monsters Inc, Disney Playhouse) were on the back of the float.

DHS treated their soldiers as talking or interactive characters. Similar to princesses and live action characters where as things like Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, the Monsters Inc. ones do no. I'm pretty sure they had green guns, Spec said they were wood cut outs. But then again, we went on a weekend where there were guns EVERYWHERE during Star Wars weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom