3 gun questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shelljeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Wanting to start shooting 3 gun in 2013, glad to see there are some matches in LA.
    I'm still gathering gear for it.
    I need to get a shotgun, been looking at the Miculek edition mossberg but its always back ordered. With the political situation as it is, I'm also thinking about getting a MKA 1919 while I still can. These are easier to find in stock than the 930 JM.

Would a 1919 automatically put me in open class? Or can I run the 5 round mags and stay in tactical? Can I run 8 shots in the 10 rd mags and stay in tactical since its limit is 8+1?
    Also, are there any matches being held closer to the Lafayette area?

I hope this is the right spot to ask, and that this area is not only for comp announcements. If so, mods please feel free to move it, or I can delete and repost, just let me know.

Thanks, Shell

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Mag feed shotguns will put you in open. You'll have to stay with a tube feed if you wanna be in tac optics.

I wouldn't be so set on ordering a miculek edition mossberg. If you look at most major matches the trend has been 9 rounds in the shotgun and then anything goes after the buzzer. That being said, a lot of folks are running the longest magazine tube they can find so a longer barrel is not an issue any longer. It'll be easier to find a 26" or 28" field shotgun and just stick an extension on it. Just beware and look at all the match rules in any match you may wish to shoot.

Shelljeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Thanks FF, so you're saying don't worry about a shorter barrel anymore either? I was thinking about a 24" 930 turkey gun if I couldn't find a miculek. 26-28" would be better?
    Hey Todd, yup. REM/on:It's the end of the world as we know it" :REM/off LOL:D

Shelljeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    FishingFool, I think I gotcha now. You're saying the trend is long mag tubes now, and since the tubes stick out anyway, no reason to go with a shorter barrel since CQ mobility is already lost. Thanks man. Made it alot simpler for me.

Shelljeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    A +5 adds 12", that should take it right out to the end of a 28" barrel, right?
    Are guys using longer mag tubes than that? Should give a 9+1 capacity.

Pigfish73

Brass Junkie!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I'm currently running an 11 shot tube for a total of 12 in the gun. That's on a FN SLP (22" barrel). I've got a 21" Benelli M2 that isn't up to full 3 gun trim yet. It'll probably be ready by the time TXMG rolls around in April. It'll probably sport a 12 round tube. Most of us run the shorter barrel just to save a little weight.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    I run a 26" barrel with the longest tube and a +1 extension from nordic components. It gives me a grand total of 12 + 1 rounds in the shotgun. The extension sticks out 3-4 inches past my barrel so 26 vs 28 doesn't really matter. I'd just get what is locally available and have fun with it.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Last edited:

Shelljeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    asianpersuasion- Thanks for the link to that monster thread!
    FishingFool- I took your advice, now I'm just waiting for the Nordic stuff to to start coming back into stock. I ended up ordering a Mossberg 930, 28" water fowl version today. Found it in stock in IL for $485 shipped to my local FFL. I plan to add Nordic extensions out to match the barrel length and go shoot.
    I was also able to sell my 4" XD9 and upgrade to the 5.25 XDm 9, and got a matched set of stripped upper/lower receivers from Essential Arms so my AR build will start soon.
    Thanks to all for the help.
    -Shell

Pigfish73

Brass Junkie!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Near Shreveport @ MiculeksIDPA on the 5th Sunday of the month

Matches involving the Miculeks IDPA club at Clark Custom Gun have been cancelled until further notice. This club ran the Steel Challenge, IDPA, and 3 Gun matches. Look for Winnsboro Gun Club to start having quarterly 3 gun matches.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    asianpersuasion- Thanks for the link to that monster thread!
    FishingFool- I took your advice, now I'm just waiting for the Nordic stuff to to start coming back into stock. I ended up ordering a Mossberg 930, 28" water fowl version today. Found it in stock in IL for $485 shipped to my local FFL. I plan to add Nordic extensions out to match the barrel length and go shoot.
    I was also able to sell my 4" XD9 and upgrade to the 5.25 XDm 9, and got a matched set of stripped upper/lower receivers from Essential Arms so my AR build will start soon.
    Thanks to all for the help.
    -Shell

If your interested in a Nordic +3 let me know. I bought one for my SPX and I ended up finding a JM930 at Academy (10 min away) so I bought it and sold the SPX. Let me know I also have a 24" Mossberg barrel BNIB also.

Shelljeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Thanks but I guess I'm going to go with a larger extension to make full use of the 28". Congrats on coming across that JM, that's like hen's teeth.

Top Bottom