300 BLK first time Hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    300+LBS
    1 shot at 150 yards and dropped in his tracks.

Attachments

• 20160422_201551.jpg
      20160422_201551.jpg
      260.2 KB · Views: 268

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Nice. I recently trapped a 150# boar then hit him four times in the head with Beck 208gr .038 subsonic. Three of the shots ricochet off his head and the fourth dropped him (but didn't kill him). Could hear the projectiles go "dinggggg" off his bone and into the trees overhead. He was still kicking after those 4 shots so I put two .40 cal pistol rounds into his head to finish him. Was a tough bugger. Will never bring those Beck rounds into the woods again. Found the round that went into his neck at the base of his brain. It was almost pristine. No expansion. I understand it's a subsonic round but really expected more from the .308. The three rounds that popped off his head left some nice cuts in his skin like he messed up shaving, but that hog wasn't affected by those shots.

NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I was shooting 110 hornady custom and put it behind his ear.
    Factory loads.Vmax 2350 fps out the muzzle
    16" barrel.
    Wasn't expecting a big fella like him. Took two grown men to dag him 20 feet.
    Drug him to river and wash and skinned him.
    Nice. Tush/tusk .
    I plan on doing a bleach on skull.
    Make a nice convesation piece.
    I'll post from picks when done.
    Norsewolf

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Nice. I recently trapped a 150# boar then hit him four times in the head with Beck 208gr .038 subsonic. Three of the shots ricochet off his head and the fourth dropped him (but didn't kill him).
    Using target bullets for hunting, especially one going 990fps at the muzzle, can yield less that desirable results.

Last edited:

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    Behind ear is ticket for hogs...for deer, 110 gr. Barnes black tip is black death.

Have a few boxes ready to go for this season. All of my spots are 75 yards max shot except for 1 clear cut spot I reserve for my 7 mag. The Omega should be in in time for deer season, cant wait to use it hunting. I want to try some subs but have heard it isn't humane for deer hunting with 300 subs. Anyone have experience regarding that statement on hunting deer with subsonic 300.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    I have been reloading and hunting with 300BLk for a couple years now. Subs are a lot of fun to shoot etc, but I just don't see the point for hunting. Yes, it's quieter, but most of those heavy subs won't expand(L. Defense makes one that can expand at lower speeds).
    I would choose a supersonic 110gr or 125gr over a 208/220 gr subsonic all day for hunting. You want the velocity and the expansion...and increased range.
    I hand load the following for hunting and have had very good results: 110g Barnes black tip @ 2350fps from 16" barrel(2150fps from 9" barrel with AAC SDN-6).
    125gr Hornady SST @ 2200fps from 16" barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    I hand load the following for hunting and have had very good results: 110g Barnes black tip @ 2350fps from 16" barrel(2150fps from 9" barrel with AAC SDN-6).
    125gr Hornady SST @ 2200fps from 16" barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've got a 300blk build going for one purpose, bacon. Loads most likely will be 125gr of either Speer TNT, or Nosler Partition. Probably will use Lil Gun to get the velocity.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    ...Subs are a lot of fun to shoot etc, but I just don't see the point for hunting. Yes, it's quieter, but most of those heavy subs won't expand(L. Defense makes one that can expand at lower speeds).
    I would choose a supersonic 110gr or 125gr over a 208/220 gr subsonic all day for hunting. You want the velocity and the expansion...and increased range.

Completely agree. Subs are tough to hunt with. I trapped a 150# hog three weeks ago in a 30' diameter coral. I stood 20-30 yards away and popped him with my .308 subsonic Lehigh Defense rounds. Had four rounds in my internal mag. The first three rounds bounced off his head leaving nothing more than cuts. I put the fourth round in his neck for a spinal shot but missed the spine... had to finish him off with sidearm. Subsonic is a tough round to hunt with. Have to shoot a hog in the neck/spine or ear hole with subsonic, but if you are off of that ear hole by 1" you hit their head armor and that round is bouncing into the trees. I took my .300BLK suppressed hogging a while back and it worked great on some piglets (Mom saw me and ran but the piglets were a bit too slow). The low velocity won't ruin half the meat of a piglet like a supersonic round will. But, all in all, Jasarii has it correct... velocity is the key to a good hunting round for most applications.

Last edited:

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Have a few boxes ready to go for this season. All of my spots are 75 yards max shot except for 1 clear cut spot I reserve for my 7 mag. The Omega should be in in time for deer season, cant wait to use it hunting. I want to try some subs but have heard it isn't humane for deer hunting with 300 subs. Anyone have experience regarding that statement on hunting deer with subsonic 300.

These guys do:
    http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=87186

Lots of good info there. If you can do the homework, pick a good bullet, learn the drops well and make a good shot placement, then no I don't see it as unethical.

I have a new 300blk that I intend to use for deer season. I also should have an Omega by then. :cool:
    I plan on using the barnes black tips, though.

NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    17.8 gr. of H110 with a 110 Hornady or 125 gr Serria pro Hunter
    Works for me. I have not tested muzzle velocity. All is out of 16" barrel.
    This was recipe was thru a friend.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom